Measuring cup confusion

Yes, definitely, as it’s close enough (4%).

There’s a simple solution to this: when working with liquid, use 1 cup to mean 240ml or 250 ml (choose one), and weigh dry ingredients. I don’t understand the pushback to weighing stuff as it’s fast, and, most importantly, repeatable.

@CaitlinM is it relevant that to eat dessert I use the largest spoon possible? :yum:

1 Like

I think the early push back is that… scale used to be expensive. It was much easier to get five different plastic cups or even thin stainless steel cups. Now… electric scale is much cheaper. One can easily get a scale anyway between $20-40

Most folks in the US don’t have a kitchen scale. That’s slowly changing but mostly, we just don’t. Consider it hasn’t been all that long since cheap, reliable digital scales were in wide use. Before that, you either had a spring scale (hard to calibrate, questionable accuracy) or a set of weights and a balance (inconvenient to use and store)

Also, most scales aren’t precise enough for small amounts. 2g of yeast or 4g of salt for a bread recipe is impossible to measure unless you have a jewelers’ scale (aka drug scale)

1 Like

In the UK a dessertspoon is used as an eating spoon (for maybe ice-cream) and a tablespoon is a larger item for spooning food (e.g. mashed potato or stew) from a pan or dish on to a plate.

Well, yes. The sort of spoon you’d eat a dessert with. I’ve eaten desserts in North America and havent had to use a teaspoon or tablespoon. Do Yanks have a different name for it then?

1 Like

Most USA-and will tell you they have teaspoons (smaller, used for ice cream, mousses, etc as well as stirring one’s tea or coffee, and bigger tablespoons or soup spoons as normal flatware.

Anything bigger than that is a serving spoon.

1 Like

I’m keeping this! :joy:

Yes, exactly. These recipes are clearly going for something specific that would be understood by British cooks, but it’s not a term (or specific item) that would ring a bell for North Americans. The interwebz tell me that as a unit of measurement, a dessertspoon is 10 ml, or 2 teaspoons, but I’d never have know that.

A Brit dessert spoon is the size of our oval soup spoon. Both are smaller than a tablespoon, which is the serving spoon. Some folks (yours truly included) prefer to use round bowl soup spoons with soup. These are larger than a bouillon spoon, but smaller than a gumbo spoon (which had its origins in the South.).

They may be used a bit less these days, but tablespoons should lie in the middle of the table near dishes of rice, carrots, potatoes etc. so that diners can take what they want on to their plate without using their own eating irons. They’re too big to eat from. In my kitchen a serving spoon is the next size up (around 12 inches?) and used for getting food directly on to plates from a cooking vessel. They rarely make it to the table. Bigger still are basting spoons. I’ve got a couple, but they’re hardly ever used! Like this: https://www.lionsdeal.com/winco-bhon-13-prime-13andquot-stainless-steel-solid-basting-spoon-with-plastic-handle.html

So, what will I have actually been given in a restaurant? I havent been to the States since 2018 but visited fairly regularly prior to that going back to 1980. My recollection is that it’s always been something bigger than a teaspoon.

I think we informally use “tablespoon” to include the bigger serving spoon - a big oval spoon. In vintage silver flatware there is a “5 o’clock spoon” that is slightly smaller than a teaspoon but bigger than an espresso/demitasse spoon. Americans just aren’t familiar with using a British dessert spoon; I don’t think we have any corresponding 2-implement way of eating a dessert. We just lick the plate. :eyes:. Perhaps the British dessert spoon is a wee bit smaller than an American tablespoon in manufacture; I’d find it difficult to eat ice cream with one. But I have French flatware; the dessert spoon is sold as such but also labeled a soup spoon and sold as such. Wikipedia says there’s a slight difference in size. I’ll give up. I have Degrenne stainless; they call the one big spoon they sell here for eating “Cuillère de table”. And the teaspoon (which is smaller than usual - it’s like a 5 o’clock spoon). In France, they do sell a dessert spoon that’s slightly smaller than the tablespoon = does that mean I now have to order some?

1 Like

Then you cross to France, and you have a cuilliere a soupe (soup spoon), a cuilliere a cafe (coffee spoon), and a mustard glass for liquids. Amora mustard is still sold in small glasses that can be used as juice glasses…theyre so ubiquitous that theyre a standard measure

Thanks for the explanation. I’ve obviously been wrong in my recollection about what I’ve used on past trips to the States.

The French way… Left to right: Cuillére à moka (coffee spoon), Cuillère à café (another coffee spoon), Cuillère à dessert (dessert spoon), Cuillère à soupe (soup spoon), Cuillère de service (serving spoon). There are other types like salad serving spoon, but these 5 are the basics of a French service. Note that the spoons are showed pointing down, because if they were engraved it would be on the back. The English silver is engraved on the front, because the table is set with the teeth of the fork pointing up, the French lay the fork with the teeth pointing down (the opposite is considered rude!). That’s how you recognize English silver from French silver…

1 Like

I have some French “glasses” with tops that snap on, but they’re not Amora jars! I just ordered some dessert spoons from France … it was cheaper ordering them from the French language version of the site than the English one. :joy:

I once asked my French friend why French tables were set with the flatware positioned tines/bowls down, and she said she didn’t know! I always figured the silver was engraved on the back so the engraving would show when the silver was positioned in the proper, non “rude” way.

Perhaps tines up looks threatening, like a weapon?

Plaster dust from decaying chateau ceilings…

Work in the metric system only when you have to measure at all.

1 Like