Measuring cup confusion

\I have 2 of th\ese glass measuring cups and never noticed til the other day that 16 oz and 2 cup marks are not at all equal - off by about 3 tablespoons. Have been using them for quite a while w/out noticing….
Is this just bad product markings or could there be a reason?

I don’t really understand cup measurements but, looking at the jug, it seems they’ve been aligned to the millilitre markings. Would that be correct?

1 Like

I just looked at my 2-cup measuring cup(Pyrex) and 16 oz and 2 cups line up :confused:

1 cup (8oz) equals 240ml. The measuring jug shown is wrong (markings on the right) 2 cups equals 480 ml, not 500 ml. The extreme left markings are, however, correct; 16 oz (2 cups) are between 450 and 500 ml.

Maybe it’s a Canadian jug? There a cup is 250ml, I think. Also Aus. and NZ?

2 Likes

definitions vary around the world -

here’s one not too many USA people realize
"
Measurements for the US legal cup (used in nutrition labeling)
1 US cup (nutrition) = 240 mL
1 US cup (nutrition) = 16.2307 US tablespoons
1 US cup (nutrition) = 16 metric tablespoons (UK, international)
"

scroll down thru this page for all the variations . . .

2 Likes

Interesting. I just did a quick internet look and Canadian and US cups are indeed different. Never occurred to me.

ETA: my quick search led me to the same site as @HappyOnion

Similar to @gaffk my 2 cup and 16 ounce mark line up.

2 Likes

I’m in Canada. Just checked Wikipedia; says 1 cup is now 250 ml in Canada and that it’s called a metric cup. Arrrgh! I have always taken 1 cup to be 240ml. In any case it’s just a 4% error, so insignificant.

Reminds of the time when I first came to Canada from the British system. My first assignment at university was all wrong because 1 ton here (called a “short ton”) is 2,000 lbs, not the 2,240 lbs I was used to.

Past time the Imperial system was deep sixed!

2 Likes

Thanks all, never too old to learn. My mother was Canadian so I should have known!

1 Like

another common “error” / confusion is:
ounces by weight
vs
ounces by volume

and since we’re on a roll, how about “a spoonful”?
(sorry - not going to translate… except “löffel” is “spoon”)

this is just the German spoons . . . anyone have French/Italian/other?

Liste der Löffel-Arten
Moderner Honiglöffel („Honigheber“)
Moderner Teelöffel
Kaviarlöffel aus Perlmutt

Apostellöffel (meist silberner oder versilberter Löffel, an dessen Stielende sich eine Apostelfigur o. ä. befindet)
Butterlöffel – vorne gezackt profilierte Randkante zum schabenden Erzeugen einer gerillten Butterlocke auch von relativ fester, kalter Butter
Cocktaillöffel oder auch Limonadenlöffel (langstieliger Löffel zum Umrühren von Mixgetränken und Auslöffeln von kleinen Obststücken etc. bei hohen, schlanken Gläsern, der vorwiegend bei Cocktails genutzt wird)
Dessertlöffel (Kompottlöffel, kleiner Esslöffel)
Eierlöffel aus Horn oder Bein oder vergoldet, da Silber rasch mit schwarzem Sulfid anlaufen würde (tropfenförmigere Laffe)
Eislöffel (mit fast geradliniger Vorderkante, um beim Essen damit schmelzendes Speiseeis abzuschaben)
Eisportionierlöffel, halbkugelig mit Trennbügel (zum Herstellen von Kugeln oder Halbkugeln aus Speiseeis; aus Chromstahlblech mit einem an zwei gegenüberliegenden Punkten des Randes innen angelenkten Bügel, der beim Zusammendrücken der zwei Zangengriffe über ein Zahnrad um 180° geschwenkt wird und so die Eiskugel aus dem Löffel löst)
Eisportionierlöffel, etwa 3/4-halbkugelig, ovaler Rand, wärmeleitend und -speichernd (zum schabenden Bilden einer Eiskugel, deren am Löffel anliegende Fläche rasch schmilzt und dadurch kaum anhaftet; ausreichend Wärme kommt in Sekundenbruchteilen aus der zumindest 1–2 mm dicken Löffelwand (Metallvolumen macht Wärmekapazität, Dulong-Petit-Gesetz), Aluminiumguss hält den Löffel leicht und bietet gute Wärmeleitung über die Löffeloberfläche; die Wärmenachlieferung erfolgt durch Spülen mit Wasser, Umgebungsluft und die Handwärme am klobigen doch hohlen Griff)
Espresso-/Mokkalöffel (noch etwas zierlicher als der Kaffee- oder Teelöffel)
Gemüselöffel (Vorlegebesteck)
Gläschenlöffel (Löffel mit schmaler Laffe und langem Stiel; Teil eines Babybestecks)
Gourmetlöffel (zum Auslöffeln der Sauce am Ende der Mahlzeit; ein Löffel mit flacher, unsymmetrischer Laffe)
Grapefruitlöffel (Löffel mit kleinen Sägezähnen zum Essen halbierter Grapefruits)
Honiglöffel (mit Randhalter zum Einhängen im Honigglas)
Honiglöffel (ohne die typische Mulde), auch Honigheber oder Honigaufnehmer genannt (meist aus gedrechseltem Holz, teils auch in Spiralform aus Metall oder Kunststoff)
Kaffeelöffel (kleinerer Teelöffel)
Kartoffellöffel (Vorlegebesteck)
Kaviarlöffel (vergoldet oder aus Horn, früher aus Schildpatt)
Kiwilöffel (kurz, scharfe Zacken an einer Seite der Laffe)
Marmeladenlöffel (mit Randhalter)
Probierlöffel (in der Gastronomie)
Querlöffel (Löffel mit quer stehender Laffe zum Füttern eines Babys)
Sahnelöffel (mit runderer Laffe und kleiner als Esslöffel)
Salatlöffel (aus dem zweiteiligen Salatbesteck)
Salz-, Pfeffer- und Gewürzlöffel (für Gewürzschälchen und zum Salieren)
Saucenlöffel (besonders tiefe Tropfenform, zum Vorlegen von Saucen, neben der heute bekannteren Kelle)
Schaumlöffel haben einen langen breiten Stiel und eine große durchlöcherte Laffe. Sie dienen zum Abschäumen, aber auch zum Herausnehmen von Klößen.
Spaghettilöffel, gelocht und mit vom Rand hochstehenden, gerundeten Zinken, die sich gut mit den Spaghetti verhaken
Suppenlöffel (großer Esslöffel)
Suppentassenlöffel (runde flache Laffe für die Suppentasse)
Zuckerlöffel (schaufelförmig, mit flacher Vorderkante, oft als Muschel gearbeitet)

I recall a Chowhound thread from years back when there was discussion over a British recipe and had many Americans scratching their heads over what was meant by a “small wine glass”. Of course it was pretty obvious to me (and probably any other Briton reading it) what a small wine glass measure is - it’s less than a large wine glass measure.

4 Likes

Measuring cups’ markings are notoriously inaccurate, if not contradictory. Many are based on nothing other than a crude geometrical calculation with a result divided into depths.

IME, one notable exception is the Emsa/Frieling Perfect Beaker. https://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/The-Perfect-Beaker/

I met the inventor once. He’d paid a university to calibrate his measuring scales, and I’ve found them to be reasonably true.

Actually, Frieling’s catalogue is full of quality cookware items. I wish the company got more attention. https://frieling.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/frieling_catalog_retail_2017_lowres_spreads_np.pdf

2 Likes

When your late Queen gave President Eisenhower her recipe for drop scones, the flour was measured in teacups. What is your explanation for that measure? Perhaps you should make the scones from the recipe and report back. Here’s the recipe: https://www.everythingzoomer.com/arts-entertainment/stars-royals/2022/09/22/how-to-cook-the-queens-pancakes-recipe-sent-from-her-majesty-to-president-eisenhower-in-1960-resurfaces/

Well according to that link, a teacup equates to approx 6 ounces. Although I wonder if that’s by weight or volume.

Possibly politeness to an American.

Although the drop scone is very similar to a thick American pancake. And may be the origin of the latter. It is a Scottish item (and is often called a Scotch Pancake here) so may have been taken to the New World by Scottish emigrants, who may well have used cup measurements in early times.

I learned only recently that Canadian cups aren’t the same as American cups, via the Glen & Friends Cooking channel on YouTube (quite interesting; more focused on history and technique than on measurements).

3 Likes

I cannot tell from the photo, but you are correct that 2 cups is a little less than 500 mL. That being said, if I remember right, measuring cup is supposed to be only good to +/- 20%. If so, lumping 480 mL into 500 mL is acceptable… maybe?

1 Like

The thing that threw me was British recipes calling for a dessertspoon of some ingredient. A what? Something in between a teaspoon and a tablespoon, evidently.