McCann's vs. Bob's Red Mill

My Costco does not carry McCanns or Bob’s. They have Quaker and their own Kirkland brand. Our store is not one of the big superstores. But, it is so close, I consider it to be one of my supermarkets.

The good kind of Oregon hippies! :joy:

I appreciate their level of purity, no additives or preservatives.

1 Like

OK. The Bob’s arrived yesterday and I tried it this morning. It’s really quite different from the McCann’s. Both are “quick” cooking, but McCann’s is microwaveable and Bob’s has to be simmered. Time difference is McCann’s at about 3-4 minutes total time and Bob’s at 10-12. McCann’s is done in the same bowl you eat it in, so there’s also a pot to clean with Bob’s.

Both taste quite good but the Bob’s is distinctively more ‘chewy’, with each oat grain(?) distinctive in texture in comparison. Not sure if I care about that. My guess is that the microwaveability may be responsible for the texture difference. McCann’s is more ‘porridge-like’ but by no means mushy.

I now have just under 4 22oz packages of Bob’s, and I guess I’ll be fine with it. You add salt to the Bob’s so I may play with how much as I go.

1 Like

There’s a night before prep that shortens cooking time- my mom does this and swears by it- just boil the water with salt and oats night before, turn off heat and let it be. Reheat for about five min the next morning. I found this which explains it better, note the measurements here are for four

Thanks. Pre-soaked oats should change the texture too. Well worth a try.

1 Like

I read the recipe in the link and it lists “steel cut oats”, so they’re not quick cook. I have to wonder if that will affect the final product. Will give it a try soon to see.

I found issue with the ‘enjoy all week long’ comment. I make a big pot of Bob’s quick cooking steel cut, immediately cool it down to room temperature after I am done cooking by putting the entire pot in water, then refrigerate it. The longest the oatmeal can last is 4-5 days before the it turns noticeably stale. And if I leave the pot on the stove for a few hours after cooking before I refrigerate, it will turn stale in 3-4 days.

1 Like

Yes … the quick cook method is not intended for the more processed (quick cooking) oats
It was intended to as a short cut to long cooking oats while preserve the benefits
Edit: sorry this should have been a reply to Midlife

Sorry? Now I’m lost. If you meant to say that the PRE-SOAK method is not intended for quick-cook oats I’d understand.

1 Like

Yes, sorry!

I know my mom also buys the quick cooking steel cut. She does this same presoak the night before- regardless that the recipe is for regular steel cut.

Perhaps makes a more creamy version…? She does two servings at a time, one for the next morning and one for morning after that, not an oatmeal every single day person and i’m also skeptical about rewarming oatmeal cooking more than three days ago.

As I said, I’ll give it a try.

I’m late to the party - who eats oatmeal in May?! I think the answer to oatmeal is to make it like real Irish oatmeal - anyone who’s had it smiles when they eat their oatmeal. I too like McCann’s - regular, NEVER use quick or instant if you want the real deal. The best oatmeal is w/steel cut oats because you want groats - which McCann’s has the most of; Bob’s has whole grain groats though I’ve never had them. I always use McCann’s regular, not quick. McCann’s also has a short cut on the back of the can if anyone doesn’t want to wait the 30 minutes ;~)