Mayo: love it or hate it?

beyond nasty texture… a sticky slimy mess
I have been mixing it with regular hellmans
kind of tastes like trader joes and dukes combined … I just keep trying
it… like I’m waiting for something magical to happen
sometimes it’s okay … sometimes it makes me gag

Bio , any secrets or tricks to your mayo being the star of the show ? Thanks . What oils do you like ?

Hmmm, time to stop?

I’m literally laughing out loud
and thanks for the sound advice

2 Likes

No tricks, really. I like bacon fat mayo, but the texture can be a little weird if you use all bacon fat, so I cut it with something neutral, usually peanut oil (my standard all-purpose neutral oil). I also don’t really care for olive oil mayo - it just tastes wrong. I’d rather just drizzle olive oil by itself than make it into a spread.

1 Like

There is a trick. The trick is find and share with people who appreciate mayo (which about 1/3rd to half of population don’t).

I was just curious about our jar of Vegenaise. Checked ingredients- no sugar. The ingredients are listed as: Expeller-pressed Canola Oil, Filtered water, brown rice syrup, apple cider vinegar, soy protein, sea salt, mustard flour, lemon juice concentrate.
And they go on to remind us in bold print, “Contains soy.”
Label says, Egg-free, gluten-free, non-GMO Project certified, and kosher.

No refined sugar, just brown rice syrup.

Sugar!

2 Likes

Precisely.

2 Likes

Make my own exclusively now. Switched over to fully homemade last year. I use sunflower oil because grapeseed is too expensive. TJ’s used to have a canola that was perfect for mayo, but their new canola oil is no good.

1 Like

I think I am officially over Mayo…finally. Just had a tuna sandwicth for dinner tonight…sans Mayo! Put in pickle juice to hydrate/flavor and happen to have some pesto spread in fridge . It wasn’t bad. Other than that on sandwiches I have been just going with Dijon.

I still haven’t perfected the homemade Mayo recipe. I did take a look at my prior fav jared Mayo ingrediants list. (Kensington) Doesn’t seem like it should be that hard to reverse engineer it at home with a good olive oil.

Kraft and Best Foods and even other suito healthy branded Mayos are really terrible for you when you think about it. Glad it is off the menu in my diet for right now.

Ok, that sounds like a great idea for tuna!

12 Likes

Not on pastrami, either.

7 Likes

Now that’s a deli that would earn my loyalty!

2 Likes

Where is this? Saying Hoagies I assume its in or near Philadelphia?

So to you folks here that make your own… do you buy pasteurized eggs, or do you just roll the dice with regular ones?

Love it, but not on everything.

Grew up in New York and enjoyed Hellmann’s and Gulden’s mustard on ham sandwiches on Pepperidge Farms bread I took to schoolcfor lunch .

Last 30+years in California, I use Best Foods, but order Dukes each summer for home grown tomatoes sandwiches.

Daughter can’t tolerate mayo. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Wow, that’s a lot of mayo.

1 Like