Mayo: love it or hate it?

Moved down to Florida almost 2 years ago and I’m still a Hellmans girl. Although, BJs in NY sold an extra creamy restaurant style Mayo that I really loved. Dukes tasted weird to me.

3 Likes

Looks like there’s enough there for not one, but two cinco de mayo celebrations.

2 Likes

Can you describe this different kind of mayo? How is it different from the classic egg, oil, lemon juice, kiss of mustard formula?

This is a terrible recipe. Rice syrup? soy protein? vinegar AND lemon juice concentrate?
Good/proper mayo is really KISS. oil, egg, lemon juice.

1 Like

It’s a vegan mayo. No eggs allowed.

2 Likes

I’ve been ordering Duke’s from Target as I never saw it sold in my area of NJ, if it’s sold here at all. But the other day I was in a Lidl store and saw the large jars of it for sale. Since the “expiration date” was pretty far out I bought several. (Not that expiration dates are necessarily a deterrent from consumption).

4 Likes

Mayo on maki? Man, cream cheese is bad enough, but mayo? Never.

1 Like

Many sushi places that are trying to appeal to the masses use sriracha mayo when making a spicy anything roll. I cant stand it.

4 Likes

10% off promo right now when ordering from Duke’s website. Some of the mayo options are sold-out.

1 Like

Must be on the dad side, huh?

2 Likes

I make my own. I use a stick blender in a 16 oz wide-mouth ball jar. In the bottom of the jar goes the juice of a lime or half a lemon, about a tbsp. Then salt, mustard, anchovies or some other item to act as an emulsifier and a whole egg. I put the blender wand in and use the high speed and just pull the stick up and the mayo is done.

Today, I added wasabi, homemade wasabi mustard, and about 10 anchovies. I used a little olive oil and then mostly grape seed oil. I filled the jar until I had about 14oz of stuff. After the first pull, I added another lime. My salt is a spice rub with lots of pepper in it: black, Aleppo, Urfa, etc. So it has a nicely balanced kick. It went great on our cold steamed artichoke.

5 Likes

It is unfortunate that green rooster sriracha is the world standard. This is simply not the same stuff as actually fermented sriracha from Thailand. It is another example of appropriating a real live product with a history and then putting out some namby-pamby crapola with the same name. This is no more Sriracha than Korbel belch water is champagne.

If you can find it, Double Golden Fish brand is the real deal with no/minimal preservatives or stabilizers. When I had the restaurant, several times a year I would travel to a warehouse distributor to buy 1-2 cases. Before long, I would walk in thru the dock and someone would shout our “one or two, small or large?” and then I would go into the office to pay, cash only. The grandma who ran the cash box would show off her latest pics of her grandkids. This is one errand I miss of my former life.

4 Likes

Hate is not strong enough. I despise it. I would rather go hungry than eat a sandwich or burger with mayo on it. I’d never desecrate a grilled cheese sandwich that way, or eat pasta or potato salad made with mayo.

That being said, I do eat it in coleslaw and tuna salad, but only if I make them or my mom does. Maybe it’s something about the combination with an acid (vinegar / pickle juice)?

1 Like

I guess. I noticed they both ate some chicken salad I made with mayo, Madras curry powder, dried apricots, celery, green onions, cashews, etc. :wink:

So why do you use Best Foods, but then also order Dukes each summer? Like Best Foods is good for all general purpose and Dukes is good for tomatoes sandwiches?

1 Like

Yes! I don’t eat a lot of mayo year round, and getting my Dukes is part of the fanfare of the tomato season. I will eat Duke’s until it runs out, then I use Best Foods until the next summer.

1 Like

I try not to get a case of the arse about things like that, but in thinking about it I have a lot of those. Mayo and cream cheese on sushi is hideous to me, but I wouldn’t say anything to a tablemate that ordered some. That would be too rude.

3 Likes

Now I want to try Duke’s. Gotta ook u p where it’s available, I’ve never seen it here. I tried Kewpie, liked it somewhat but it was a tad sweet for me.

2 Likes

I agree 100% This is the one we usually buy but I’ll be on the look out for the Double Golden Fish Brand.

I am a bit more into the Japanese mayo, like Kewpie, Sokensha, Kenko. Right now, I am using Kenko.
![image|210x420, 75%](upload://jekZzZtaoYBT9bAwxfCSJIq4Gf3.png
I don’t know if I have tried Duke’s.

1 Like