Mayo: love it or hate it?

Love it on sandwiches and to dip French fries.

Hate it in most other applications. Won’t eat maki containing mayo.

3 Likes

I like it, sometimes I love it, but I think it’s overused a lot of the time.

1 Like

I don’t get the mayo on fries thing. Food cooked in oil then dipped in more oil? Too much. I prefer Dijon mustard. See, I also hate ketchup … :flushed:

Costco sells extra heavy hellmans mayo … I use it when I make large quantities of potato salad.
Totally different consistency, fluffier for lack of a better word… I could swear it is what hellmans used to be like.

2 Likes

I can’t explain it. The stomach wants wha the stomach wants…

2 Likes

Does it indicate on the label that it is extra heavy?

We only use mayo quite sparingly at home. Potato salad, for example. Or spread on bread for a chicken sandwich - we’d use butter, vegetable based spreads or olive oil on pretty much all other sandwiches. I’m always a bit surprised, when I visit America, how often it is used.

Yes…But it’s that massive size they carry

Ooh, I’ll have to look for it next time I’m there. Hopefully the jar will fit in my fridge!

1 Like

Costco in Yonkers has at least two brands of extra heavy mayo, one of them definitely hellmans. Unfortunately
they are only available in 128 oz size. I would probably have no problem getting through that… yikes. I just don’t have space in my refrigerator :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah, 128 oz is a lot of fridge real estate. I wonder if I could find a friend to split one with, though, and just transfer it into two smaller mason jars or something. Perhaps we should work out a Hungry Onion mayo share! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I had this exact conversation with my husband this morning
He snorted at me

1 Like

If not, they sell refrigerators, too

6 Likes

I was there yesterday and needed mayo, so I checked out the heavy-duty offerings - Hellman’s for $13.xx, and Ken’s for $6.xx, which was so cheap I was worried about the quality! Both are in 128 oz jars, though, which my fridge just can’t do. I settled for a 64oz regular Hellman’s - for now!

4 Likes

I “love” mayonnaise, where as my husband does not. Hubby prefers salad dressing; especially on his sandwiches, where as I prefer mayonnaise on mine. I will “never” eat a sandwich which has salad dressing on it. Yuck! At times I do use both mayonnaise and salad dressing though, in making salads and salad dressings. The one thing my husband and I do agree on… that we both can’t stand Kraft Miracle Whip Salad Dressing. We prefer Aldi’s brand of salad dressing (Burman’s). Oh, I should of stated… I love Hellmann’s Mayonnaise as well as Kraft Mayonnaise. Hellmann’s is a bit oilier though, where as Kraft is not, but both are good.

I really dislike mayonnaise, always have. DH likes it. Whenever it can be avoided I do so. Much prefer “salad” type things with an oo/vinegar type dressing.

Pretty much of a fan. “Love” might be too strong a word. I make a sandwich for lunch every day, with mayo as the condiment. Lately, I’ve been adding a dab of mustard, too, for a little more zip, and this is unusual because I am not a fan of mustard. But mayo- mustard was something I had on Cuban sandwiches at a special restaurant years ago- enjoyed it on those delicious creations at the time.

Now, what about the variations that some folks also swear by? “Salad dressing?” “Miracle Whip?” I can taste the difference (from mayonnaise) and don’t care as much for these, but they also have their devoted fans. Oh, BTW, we have a small jar of Veganaise in the fridge that we dip into occasionally.
(P.S. to Babette: speaking of “love it or hate it,” I probably would not be the one to order a paneer wrap at an Indian snack shop. But thank you for starting an interesting thread!)

2 Likes

I do mustard and mayo when I can’t decide, on most occasions not mixed.

1 Like

For some reasons, I skipped this thread.

My short answer: I love Mayo.

2 Likes

There’s always one in the crowd. (just out of curiosity do you mix brown mustard like guldens, or a light like frenchs?)