Mayo: love it or hate it?

That sounds fantastic. I need to try it.

To create our own homemade Mayonnaise:

We use an Ecological Spanish Evoo which has won a plethora of awards - 100% Hojiblanca Olives which is a very light Evoo called: Almazaras de La Subbetica.

We enjoy it very much when preparing albacore Ventresca white tuna belly salad (sold in jars) with finely sliced celery or fennel and sweet Galician onion or egg salad, prawn salad or chicken salad …

1 Like

What I love is it is just basically a template. You can sub out pretty much everything. I made it with a duck egg last time. Sometimes I use smooth mustard, sometimes grainy. Kraut juice makes a great souring agent. Herbs, whatever. You can use 1/3 OJ or tangerine or blood orange juice and half lemon. And hot sauce is always nice. I usually use some sort of Trinidadian hot sauce or my homemade lacto fermented hot sauce.

1 Like

I found olive oil can get bitter when whipped with a stick blender. How much oil do you add to your basic recipe of egg, lemon juice, mustard, anchovies, etc.?

About 2 oz. It does add a bittter tang but the rest of the strongly flavored items balance it all out. Sometimes I use sesame oil or EV peanut oil. And you I stick blend it for 10 seconds max.

2 Likes

I’d love to hear more about that, but probably best on another thread. Do you make your own? I’ve been working on my Trini and Bajan hot sauce recipes for years. I’ve been using peppers from a certain overwintered Scotch Bonnet pepper plant for years, and she just doesn’t seem to be snapping back this year.

1 Like

Thank you for that - I have many Asian markets both large and small near me and will look for a better brand.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say anything to someone who ordered it but if I am at a new to me sushi bar I will ask if the spicy rolls have mayo so I can avoid it.

1 Like

Oddly I had never seen Duke’s in my local stores until the pandemic. Mayo stock was light and suddenly there was Duke’s. It has continued post pandemic. Interestingly it is the only mayo I’ve seen with no added sugar. (Which I really like!)

4 Likes

Bogman is our hero here.

1 Like

I totally agree about glass vs plastic. That’s why, though I am no longer in the business, squeeze bottles are one of my favorite kitchen tools.

1 Like

For Kewpie fans - I found Kewpie in the Waltham, MA Costco (I was staying nearby and stopped in to pick up some liquor as few NJ stores sell it). They had largish bottles of Kewpie for $5.99. It was made in the USA vs Japan but did have MSG in it which the last USA-produced products I saw did not.

I haven’t been to a local Costco to see if we have it but I sort of doubt it. This Costco seemed to have a wide array of Asian products that I’ve never seen before - various dried fishes, Kokuho Rose Rice, etc.

1 Like

I was at a Japanese restaurant. This restaurant loves to use Kewpie mayo (possibly another Japanese brand)

2 Likes

Love the Iwatani kitchen torches in the photo

1 Like

Ha ha. I didn’t notice the torch. Thanks

1 Like

I have one next to my range top. Don’t use it as much as I use to. These days mostly to get eggs to set quickly when making an omelette without browning

I’ve long wanted to try Duke’s but have never found it in any store here in OC/SoCal. Buying it on line seems wasteful unless it’s life changing. Kewpie has been a favorite for me but my wife’s a purist so we have Best Foods on hand all the time too. If anyone has a tip on a retail option for Duke’s around here I’d be grateful.

1 Like

Try this

1 Like

I’m a firm no on mayo, but always have a small jar for mom and whomever else wanders in and wants something with mayo. Hellmann’s has always been the standard in this region, but I noticed recently that my local market now carries Duke’s. Maybe I’ll try it next time (or, more correctly, have mom try it :wink:

1 Like

Thank you. I’d found that locator some time ago but the two closest locations listed have not had Duke’s in stock when I looked for it. I’ve found that those locators can be unreliable, probably because companies generally sell through distributors who don’t always keep the listings current. May try calling some of the other listings.

1 Like