March 2023 Cookbook of the Month - Voting

Nominations were scant. We had two that got two nominations each, so those are the ones we’ll vote on.

SHANNON MARTINEZ MONTH - This would include Smith & Daughters, Smith & DELI-cious, and Vegan with Bite. The first two books were co-written with Mo Wyse and are from their Spanish-influenced restaurant and their deli. The last is by Shannon Martinez alone and is supposed to represent budget-friendly everyday cooking, with a global range. I have them all, and have cooked extensively from the first two (I love them). I have the third book, but have not cooked from it at all.

ONE POT, PAN, PLANET, by Anna Jones - We’ve done Anna Jones books before back on Chowhound, so she should need no introduction. This book came out a year ago, and I have not cooked from it. It has a focus on simplicity and ease of preparation, along with sustainability.

To vote, click on the knife-and-fork icon at the lower right of the comment below that corresponds to your selection. You may only vote once. To change your vote, re-click the icon to unlike, then make your new selection, OR if it is too late to do that, note your changed vote in ALL CAPS in the comments.

Please do not reply to the voting comments. If you wish to discuss the books, make a reply to this post.

Voting will close at 7pm EST on February 24.

Don’t forget to check out our current selection, Korean American.

1 Like

To vote for SHANNON MARTINEZ month, click the knife-and-fork icon at the lower right of this comment.

3 Likes

To vote for ONE POT, PAN, PLANET, click the knife-and-fork icon at the lower right of this comment.

1 Like

Since we have a whopping one vote so far, I’m going to extend the voting until Sunday, Feb 26, 7pm EST.

2 Likes

not interested in either so no vote from me.

Neither option available at my library.

I just happen to own all of Shannon Martinez’ books. If that option wins, Shark, Mel, and I would play but it’s infinitely more fun with more participants. Nevertheless, I am fine with however our organizer, MelMM, would like to handle it. Cheers, RR

1 Like

I’ve had Mel cook food from Smith and Daughters for me. So I KNOW the food is great. And for you meat lovers (I am one), you will not miss it in these recipes. They are Spanish-influenced as Mel says in the intro and this means packed with flavor.

Anyway, if you are thinking about adding Vegan dishes to your repertoire, this book is great. It is the one Vegan book I want in my cookbook collection. Obviously, it’s not the only one, but it’s really good. And if you only have room for one, well this can be your “Highlander.” lol

1 Like

This! And the Internet is peppered with Shannon Martinez recipes for those who can’t get their hands on one of her books.

1 Like

OK, if there are lots of recipes on the web, then I’ll give it a try!

2 Likes

I’m making that burrito rice for dinner tonight! For some reason I haven’t really cooked from Martinez’s third book, so I’ve decided decided to make a few things. I made a stir-fry last night and breakfast fried rice this morning. There are a lot of Asian recipes in this book (Vegan with Bite), and I think that’s why I was hesitant. I tend to prefer to get Asian recipes from Asian cookbooks. But everything has been great so far. The first two books are among the very, very few books I own where I don’t feel a need to tweak the recipes.

3 Likes

Voting is closed. Shannon Martinez month it is. Good choice, imho. I will try to collect as many links as I can to online recipes between now and the 1st.

3 Likes

The reporting thread is here: