MALAYSIAN - Cuisine of the Quarter, Winter 2018 (Jan-Mar)

Note that this episode of Chicken Rendang becomes a bigger issue, now even MY politicians gave their opinions, our discussion here will continued in this thread:

A post was merged into an existing topic: “Crispy” Chicken Rendang? Master Chef UK hosts got roasted.

Better late than never.

Beef rendang - spicy beef stew with coconut

Recipe from peach kitchen.

Except my version, I skipped the coconut nut, couldn’t find them in shops within walking distance, only cook with the milk. I used less chili than indicated, since I just had some dental work. Delicious!

6 Likes

OK, so it’s the second quarter already, but just sharing the Kelantanese crab curry I made last night.

Kelantan is a North-eastern Malaysian state, with its own distinct culture. The Kelantanese-Malays themselves descended from the Cham people who migrated southwards from Indochina. The Kelantanese-Chinese have been coming since the 16th-century.

Kelantanese cuisine is also pretty distinct from other major regional Malay cuisines - sweeter and less spicy.

I bought four live mud crabs for my curry.

1. Halve each of the crabs:

1. The rempah (spice mix paste) is prepared from 10 small purple onions, 1 small piece of galangal, 1 small piece of fresh turmeric, 2 stalks lemongrass & a small cup of minced chilis. 2 small packs of Alagappa (my preferred brand) seafood curry powder. No belacan - it’s not part of the recipe!
    Saute in 4 Tablespoons of oil over low-medium heat till the mixture thickens, becoming more fragrant and the oil starts to separate (about 15-20 minutes).

1. Add in the crabs and mix thoroughly.

1. Add a pack of glass noodles (mung bean threads) and stir-through.

1. Add 4 cups of coconut milk (santan) from 1 coconut, 2 pieces of dried tamarind (asam keping), 1 teaspoon salt and 4 Tablespoons of sugar (it’s Kelantanese after all!)
    Bring to boil before lowering the heat to low. Cover and let the curry simmer until the crabs are cooked (about 10-15 minutes).

Taste and adjust the seasoning to your preference.

1. Serve with white rice.

Our usual Kelantanese-style dinner spread:

8 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the step-by-step illustrations, I don’t think I can find the same type of crabs here, but it is sure a dish I want to reproduce.

I don’t see much mung bean threads in the final dish. Did you serve them apart?

1 Like

Personally, I would like to cook more, but unfortunately with recent dental work, difficult to eat spicy food.

@biondanonima
Yeah, I am thinking maybe 3 months could be a bit short, given how busy people are. Maybe 4 months is something we should think of?

@klyeoh
We won’t mind you continue sharing your recipes, no time limit! :grin:

1 Like

The mung bean threads ended up at the bottom of the dish - but very useful to soak up the curry sauce. :slight_smile:

Oh, I love them so much, I would add twice more and even replace that with the noodle dish! LOL

1 Like