Making paella at home

Mixed Seafood and Shellfish Paella.

6 Likes

Me too but mine are broken-in. Not good advice for newer CI.

I used my bigger All-clad sauce pan for the first attempt, but after reading these posts I get that shallow is the ticket and am going to use my smaller AC skillet. It’s the shallowest pan I have until investing in a Paella Pan. I don’t love the AC because they stick like crazy, but moisture in the Paella prep helped. And yes, I’m also doing for Paella for two this time. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @Barca!

1 Like

You may be right. I have a couple of newer pieces and some old pieces I’ve picked up along the way, I threat them all the same way. Much of the CI you can buy now is pre-seasoned - I wonder if that makes a difference.

1 Like

This is inspiring yet frustrating at the same time: our induction glass-top is great for high heat, but not with thin pans, which stop working on it after just a little warping.

Cast iron would work if I abandoned tomatoes (sob). I’ll try stainless.

(Hi, I’m new, as is our otherwise likable range.)

6 Likes

Welcome, Josh! If that’s not too presumptuous for me to say, being still in the shallow-end probation section myself. :slight_smile:

If abandoning tomatoes is the right solution, I’d far rather be wrong.

I’ve never ever used an induction hob, so this is entirely google-grade, hearsay, or back-of-an-envelop science. (SCIENCE!) I gather there’s three basic approaches to this:

• Use induction-safe cookware, which seem to as you say be thick-based, and often have multi-layered construction, to make use of different conductive and surfacing properties of different metals (or indeed ceramics) to even out the heat, and so forth;
  • Use other cookware, and treat it as ablative;
  • Or, get an induction hob converter/diffuser, so you can use whatever legacy or application-bespoke cookware you wish.
1 Like

I found the all clad to work better . Sides are the same height of the paella pan . Also the center of the pan is concaved slightly upwards. Where as the paella pan is slightly concaved downward in the middle. I will use this pan on live fire cooking . Also it makes it hard to cook on a glass top electric stove.

4 Likes

Was paella traditionally made at home, or was it something you always purchased from professionals?

Me .Never purchased. I love trying

Yours looks right. I think mine is the same height but it’s more of a sauté pan - the sides seem more curved and the flat surface a couple inches smaller than yours. We’ll see. TBC…

1 Like

Ohh could be. Mine are pretty old now. When I first got them they rusted easily and held onto food & soap taste, etc.

You are very welcome.

1 Like

I’m inspired now to try making my next paella in my largest all clad fry pan. Sadly, it has to go in a queue behind about 5 other dinners that are in various stages of prep, or I already have the ingredients for them. Does that ever happen to you guys? Needing to tell your dinner ideas to “take a number?”

3 Likes

I plan my meals by Market Purchases (seasonal) as well.

It is a custom to only prepare Paella or Rice dishes on Sunday in Spain and in restaurants Thursday and Sunday.

So with this in mind, do your thing and when you finish your menu plan, then you can take on the labours of a Paella …

1 Like

I enjoy doing that in the summer and fall. However, I live in a northern climate and we are only now starting to get some lettuces and radish at the farmers stands. So instead, this time of year I go to the store, see what looks good, and do meal planning around that. Ever since the pandemic started, we have tried hard to reduce how often we go to the store, so I buy a lot of produce each time, and then have to be creative about what to use up first.

3 Likes

A piece about paella in an old issue of NG Traveller UK I’m reading:

Recipe featured in the article:

1 Like

Had some friends over and everyone brought something, my contribution was paella. First time attempting legitimate paella and all I can say is WOW, I blew it!!! Everything was wrong with it, my water /rice ratio was off, couldn’t soak up all the liquid AND the broth I used made it waaaaayyyyy to salty. So if sodium seafood and meat soup is your thing boy do I have a recipe for you! Oh well there’s always next time!! My apologies to @CurlzNJ your gifted Pan deserved better.

It looks decent though!

(browning the meat)

(finished product)

10 Likes

It LOOKS good, but we’ve all had those bad days in the kitchen… You’ll just have to work on it!

1 Like

Yeah definitely learned a few lessons most importantly not to listen to @seal for the timing!

2 Likes