Making paella at home

We’ve all had days like that. Try again.

1 Like

Sorry to hear your broth was too salty.

Was this a fish and shellfish stock from scratch or one of those “packaged” types ?

Which type of rice did your use ?

Packages type not homemade. I used a “Spanish yellow” rice with its own seasoning. So I really should not have used any broth in retrospect and just used plain water. I think it was the combination of the two that made it overpowering.

I also must have errored in my grossing up the amount of water ratio for the amount of servings I was making.

2 Likes

I am in awe of your talent at cooking for a crowd. Sure, not everything can turn out exactly the way you hope every time. I’ll bet everybody was plenty delighted to share a nice meal together.

4 Likes

Thank you!!! I enjoy cooking for larger groups, but yes, especially when it’s my first time making a dish it takes some trial and error. This first attempt was more error than trial, but I think I know what I did wrong to attempt a second try and have better results. Next couple weeks.

5 Likes

My suggestion is:

Buy FALLERA ARBORIO RICE FROM VALENCIA. It is marketed by Chef José Andrés for years.

This is the best brand for paella.

The rice in photo looks terribly dry.

It required alot more liquid … ( SOFRITO and water )

The salt content in packaged rices and prepared broths have large amounts of salt … FALLERA HAS NO SALT.

To create a yellow rice, we use SAFFRON THREADS NOT POWDERED.

PLACE 10 THREADS IN A LIQUEUR AS TOMATO DOES AND LET THE SAFFRON SIT APPROX 10 TO 12 MINUTES - I HAVE USED WATER TO SOAK THE SAFFRON TOO.

2 Likes

Just stop right there and you’ll be fine!

1 Like

I have learned, unfortunately not to try out new dishes on unsuspecting guests.

3 Likes

Wise advice !

1 Like

Thank you for the tips! I will reflect on them next time I attempt it, which will be sooner vs. later.

1 Like