Making paella at home

Not just circumference though, also depth.

Here’s mine:

8 Likes

So, as a random aside, the best paella I ever ate, bar none, was found at the Borough market in London. At this spot. Their seafood stock was so flavorful that it made the entire dish. Unforgettable.

3 Likes

I can’t afford Le Creuset either. I mean I can, but in good conscience I can’t spend that much. However, this was purchased with “points” from my company that occasionally awards them for achievements and tenure and such.

For my 60th birthday last year my children gave me a propane double burner tripod stand with a 60cm (24 inch) pan so I could have a dozen guests for a birthday lunch. Thanks to Covid this still hasn’t happened.

When it takes place I’ll use your great sounding recipe, but please could you clarify:

In step 1, how long to cook the beans?

In step 7 you say to cook the rice for 45 minutes, but when was it added? You say to add it in step 8?

Apologies if I’m mis-reading!

Thank you.

4 Likes

I didn’t originally get the pan for paella as I had a business partner who was a master paella-maker. I got mine for a Thanksgiving when I was having 20 people over and needed something large enough to cook a side dish on the stove top. I worked for a company that sold them and since I got a great discount it made sense to buy it. It is one of my favorite pans.

Despite all the talk about how and how not to care for cast iron I really don’t treat m CI any differently than any of other pans. I use soap and a scrubber if I have to. I do heat it up on the stove to dry. I don’t have any problems maintaining the seasoning. The only thing I don’t do is use Bar Keepers Friend on it which I use on SS all the time.

4 Likes

Not your average paella at home, but a worthwhile and fascinating tutorial:

1 Like

I think the best paella pan would be the so called PATA NEGRA PROFESSIONAL double thickness steel pan made in Spain.These commercial restaurant-grade paella pans are just like polished steel paella pans, but made from extra-thick metal to ensure even heating and to prevent warping. If you are going to be cooking over a wood fire, this is definitely the pan of choice for cooking paella. Crafted out of the highest quality materials with the professional chef in mind.

I have 2 of those, an 20 inch one smaller for a small group of friends, typically 3-4 . Heat comes from my propane infra red grill.

I also have a the largest one, 33, inch one which I use for a large group of people, heat comes from the wood burning Emperor fire pit that is 36.7 inches in diameter. In order to be successful in having even heat ( have to add wood to the fire or spray water to temper the fire), we had a steel triangular thing made to sit on the rim of the fire pit which raises the paella pan 3-4 niches above the rim so access to the fire is easier as well as rotating the pan which takes two able bodied guys to do so. There are tripods made for these but it will not work in our case as the fire pit is curved slightly on the bottom.

I have own an ALICANTE 12” hand hammered 14 gauge copper pan made in Mexico that I use for 2 persons . He heat comes from he French hot plate of my Vulcan range.

The key is to a perfect socarrat is be able to rotate and adjust the heat. I usually cook my soccarat ahead of time on my wok in the kitchen, then it to the paella pan, bdd more EVOO all over the pan before adding my bombs rice.

Have not been writing but follow HO bec I have not been able to eat red meat as well as the fact that I have problem uploading pictures but will try this time.

15 Likes

ccj, SO GOOD to hear your voice!

7 Likes

Nice to “see” you! Hope you are doing well!

2 Likes

doing relatively fine except difficult to upload pictures for some reason as well as the fact that I do not cook a lot of varieties as still have positive alpha syndrome. Also extremely busy with endless weeds sprouting up in the garden ,contractors that never complete their job , and of course my baby Luna who needs surgery for subluxation of patella come May 25th and has to be 100% crated acc to the orthopedic surgeon. She became symptomatic in Feb, cannot get appointment till March with surgeon available till May 25th and has been advised that she needs PT every week for 10 weeks. my poms are always with me and if she is crated, she literally wails. Soi, I carry her from room to room or in a cart when I am outdoor .

5 Likes

Welcome back!

Next time I make paella it will be for two . Half cup of bomba rice . I do like the giant pan and all that goes along . I have a nice all clad 16 inch stainless French skillet. Have the sweet Spanish paprika and the saffron. Going to make a scaled down version next time around . After that it’s the paella pan and ingredients on a wood fire . Cheers .:wine_glass:

7 Likes

Paella newbie silly question: does one need a whole range of different pan sizes to get the techniques right for different quantities? I’m picturing the socarrat forming very differently if you have a very thin layer of mixture in a very large pan, vs a deeper one, whether due to a smaller pan or a larger quantity…

1 Like

Good evening …

1. SOAK the bean overnight in 500 ml. water (no salt).
  2. Next day; rinse and place 500 ml. water on a boil and add the beans and cook UNTIL TENDER.
  3. Add salt once they are on LOW SIMMER.

Approx until tender, varies, but 35 - 45 minutes depending on your stove top; gas or electric.

1 Like

@cookie

ARROZ LA MARINERA (Seafood Paella )

BROTH:

250 Grams of Monkfish
1 hake head or cod fish head
unbleached eco flour
250 grams of lobster or crab or crayfish
250 grams of prawns
250 grams of assorted shellfish (clams, mussels but NOT oysters )
90 ml Evoo
155 grams of sweet onion or shallot
100 grams of red ripened tomatoes peeled and de-seeded (to remove the bitterness )
1 teaspoon of Pimenton de La Vera - Spanish smoked paprika - Do NOT use Hungarian Paprika
1.75 litres of water
salt

RICE:
410 GRAMS OF ARBORIO RICE FROM FALLERA - VALENCIA
SALT TO TASTE
LOBSTER, CRAB AND PRAWNS (DEPENDS ON NUMBER OF PEOPLE) JUDGE ACCORDINGLY
250 GRAMS OF SQUID (SEPIA)
90 ml evoo
2 cloves of garlic finely sliced length wise
100 grams of red ripe tomatoes - de-seeded and peeled
1 tsp of the Spanish Piménton de La Vera
12 threads of SAFFRON SOAKED IN WATER ( A TINY ESPRESSO CUP FILLED WITH WATER ) - LET THEM SOAK 10 MINUTES

1. To prepare the broth, coat the monkfish (rapé) and hake head (merluza) or cod head (bacalao); with flour. DUST IT … DO NOT PREPARE FOR “BREADED FISH” – A VERY LIGHT DUSTING.

2. HEAT THE EVOO IN A LARGE CASSEROLE AND SAUTÉ THE LOBSTER, CRAB AND PRAWNS AND THE 2 HEADS OF FISH.

3. REMOVE AND RESERVE.

4. Sauté the onion or shallot until golden.

5. and then add the sliced finely tomato and sauté.

6. ADD HE PIMÉNTON, THE WATER AND A LITTLE SALT.

7. Continue to simmer low to medium heat.

8. MEANWHILE, REMOVE THE BONES, AND SKINS OF THE SAUTÉED FISH AND SHELLFISH. ADD THESE SCRAPS TO THE BROTH AND SET THE FISH ASIDE.

9. PEEL THE LOBSTER OR CRAB OR BOTH AND THE PRAWNS, AND PLACE THESE SHELLS IN A MORTAR AND WITH A PESTLE CRUSH AND ADD TO THE BROTH WITH THE 2 HEADS THAT ALSO HAVE BEEN CRUSHED …

10. cover the casserole or stock pot and cook the BROTH over a medium heat for 45 minutes.
    THEN STRAIN THE BROTH THROUGH A FINE SIEVE.

TO PREPARE THE RICE ( SHALL DO THIS PART ON PAGE TWO SUNDAY )

3 Likes

It is absolutely the pan. The deeper it is, the less evaporation occurs, even with the same diameter and amount of contact the bottom makes with the burner. That said, electric stoves generally don’t heat as much as gas.

3 Likes

Thank you for that.

1 Like

As mentioned before…I make paella in the backyard on the Egg. I love it being a dish everyone can contribute in. Let the sunshine and libations flow. :yum:

1 Like

Pan Size Matters. See “greygarious” Post above. It does not change the Technique used but it greatly changes the Result

2 Likes

@cookie ( Page # 2)

THE RICE for Arroz Marinara ( Paella Marinara):

1. First steam the mussels and / or the clams separately if using both. Then remove the empty half shells and set aside. Strain the liquid produced and ADD IT TO THE BROTH.

2. Add salt to taste to the lobster, crab, prawns and / or craygish and then heat up the fish broth and add the saffron threads and their liquid. (water they have been sitting in)

3. Now heat up the Evoo in a 40 cm pallera or earthenware, and sauté the squid and the pieces of crab and lobster and prawns, followed by the garlic and the tomatoes.

4. Sauté gently and then add the rice and the paprika and stir briskly and then add 1.25 litres of boiling fish broth which is 5 and 3/4 cups. CHECK THE SEASONING.

5. Cook quickly for 10 minutes, and then add the lobster tails and the fish. TURN DOWN THE HEAT AND GRADUALLY OVER THE NEXT 10 MINUTES. Taste a few grains of rice to see if done. ARRANGE THE MUSSELS DECORATIVELY ON TOP AND THE CLAMS.

6. REMOVE FROM THE HEAT AND ALLOW TO COOL 8 TO 10 MINUTES.

SERVE WITH WHITE WINE OF CHOICE OR CAVA.

Best wishes. And let us know how it turns out.

2 Likes