Mail order smoked salmon

I have a friend who really loves smoked salmon. I would like to get some as a birthday present. I am not a salmon lover, so I have no idea about good, better, best. I’d need some suggestions. The birthday is in June, so I’m planning ahead!

1 Like

(John Hartley) #2

Not knowing where you are in the world, is there any point me recommending a UK supplier?

0 Likes

Ah, very true! That’s a critical piece of information that I left out. I’m in the USA.

0 Likes

Where do they live or have lived? For instance if they are in Seattle, they have access to some of the best, in Brooklyn still a smokehouse or two still operating, etc… I do know Acme Fish in Brooklyn has online ordering.

0 Likes

He’s NJ, and just recently learned to enjoy smoked salmon. So I don’t think he’s tasted it anywhere except from the supermarket offerings.

0 Likes

http://www.josephsons.com/
From Astoria, Oregon.
Hot and cold smoked
Pacific salmon and other delights.
:slight_smile:

0 Likes

I don’t think Acme does shipping, but there are stores in NJ that stock their products.

http://www.acmesmokedfish.com/store-locator?state=nj

Russ & Daughters and Zabar’s definitely have mail order.

https://www.russanddaughters.com/
https://www.zabars.com/

1 Like

(John Hartley) #8

I’ve tasted Russ & Daughters product on a trip to America. It’s excellent.

Back in the day, a contributor on Chowhound prepared a food based walking tour of that part of NYC. We’d hoped to visit the shop but we’d picked a day when it was closed for a religious holiday. Can’t recall the person’s name but, if you’re visiting the city, I’d recommend searching Chowhound to find the tour.

2 Likes

1 Like

(Denise) #10

With the caveat that I have not ever mail-ordered smoked salmon, I would guess a NJ-based friend might enjoy recieving a gift from Russ & Daughters as mentioned on this thread. I have sampled a few types of R&D’s smoked fish served at a friends’ house. Delicious.

Browne Trading has also been mentioned here. They’re a respected purveyor in Maine and provide packaged smoked fish to some high-end places (I can’t recall names off the top of my head). I have visited the Browne Trading store in Portland (Maine) and they know their seafood stuff.

0 Likes

I think you mean @RGR. She cruises by here occasionally - maybe she’ll hear us talking and chime in.

1 Like

(saregama) #12

Take a look at Zabar’s, Barney Greengrass, Sable’s, and Murray’s in addition to R&D.

Goldbelly.com delivers R&D and Sable’s, the others deliver directly I believe.

It can get expensive because they use overnight delivery on on ice - you might try calling to ask if they supply a store closer to your friend (Acme must, possibly one of the others too), in which case you can order from there via local delivery.

1 Like

(John Hartley) #13

I think you’re right. It was really well put together, so that you got a feel for the whole area,as well as getting the various eats. As I recall, she ended the walk at the “tenement museum”, which was fascinating in itself.

0 Likes

I live in the neighborhood myself and have for 15ish years, so I can probably provide a decent amount of information. There’s a lot of new stuff!

0 Likes

(Eli Paryzer) #15

I highly recommend Sam’s Butcher shop a small artisanal smoker who ships overnight. He smokes an awesome Faroe Islands salmon that I use for penne pasta with capers and onions. It’s also great on a bagel with cream cheese.

1 Like

(saregama) #16

That looks hot-smoked vs. the others cold-smoked (great that it’s made to order).

2 Likes

(Eli Paryzer) #17

Yes, it’s hot smoked on cherry wood and delicious. Mrs. P doesn’t like salmon but loves this. It’s nice and smoky.

2 Likes

(saregama) #18

Is hot smoked always flaky? That’s how I’ve encountered it, but tbh I don’t have a lot of data points

I like cooked salmon, but for apps and bagels I prefer the silky texture of cold smoked to hot.

I discovered through trial & error that wild alaskan, which is what I usually buy for cooking, is not the texture I like when cured/cold smoked - not enough fat.

2 Likes

I second Josephsons. I think I have only had the cold smoked but I am sure they would do hot just as well.

1 Like

(Eli Paryzer) #20

Sam’s hot smoked salmon is flaky like regular salmon. I don’t know if others are. The flaky kind goes better with a pasta dish.

0 Likes