Made In Cookware

Yeah, but it may be somewhat limited/outdate information. They also indicate their knives and carbon steel cookware are made in France.

1 Like

According to their website, they contract with manufacturers in the U.S. and Western Europe. I have no reason to believe that their website and Amazon are incorrect about where their sauciers are made.

Also, I don’t care where things are made. I was pointing out that Claus comments on cookware that they haven’t used contain at least one error.

I’m your huckleberry Chem…
I have several pieces of the Made In carbon steel cookware, including their wok. As a qualifier, I also own a lot of the Darto pans, DeBuyer, Blu Skillet, and Smithey carbon steel pans. my other woks are Yamada, and 2 revered Cen Brothers woks. In cast iron I use mostly Griswold and a few of the newer boutique cast iron makers. I use an older Lodge skillet to sear/incinerate steaks.
I really like the Made In carbon steel pans, and I am trying here in as few words as possible express why I tend to pick them over the others… I think it comes down to thickness, fit and finish. They’re just right… If I want something more solid, for searing, I’ll pick the Griswold or the Dartos…for every day cooking, I use the Made In skillets. They are thick enough to not have hotspots and have enough thermal mass to heat up evening. The fit and finish of the pans is well done. They seasoned up just on the stove top, and were virtually non stick from the first usage…those same qualities made their wok my every day go to wok very quickly. The Made In carbon steel is not cheap, but the quality of it has made it become my every day carbon steel ware. I only use non stick aluminum pans now for making eggs, the carbon steel and cast iron gets the rest of the usage.
I hope this helps…

3 Likes

If you are not qualified to speak, then very few are. This is very helpful. When I saw the 2 mm, I wasn’t concern, but I was a little unsure. I have had a thinner DeBuyer Forceblue carbon steel pan which warped over time… I believe it was ~1.5 mm thick.
I later bought another DeBuyer, Carbone, and that it 3 mm. This definitely does not wrap for years of use. The 2 mm thickness from Made In is worth considering. I am glad to read about your positive experience. Now, you make me reconsider possibility a carbon steel cookware from Made In.

1 Like

You’re incorrect.

They clearly state their carbon steel pans are made in France.
Link: https://madeincookware.com/products/blue-carbon-steel-frying-pan

Here’s a video of the factory in France, where the Made In CS pans are produced. This video is made by ‘Made in’

Link

For the price they charge I personally would rather buy Darto and De Buyer Mineral B Pro pans - they are similarly priced to Made In carbon steel pans - at least where I’m from (Denmark)

I re-red Maccrogenoff message a few times. It is possible, I think he meant to only respond to your comment about stainless steel cookware. You wrote “I don’t know anything about made in PLY cookware though.”
and my guess is that he meant to answer you that “[PLY cookware], According to their website, Made In is made in the U.S. and Italy.”
I was confused too, but it is very possible that is what MacCrogenoff means. He was just trying to help. I think he meant well.

1 Like

Chem, we go back a few years, and largely see eye to eye on things…at least I think we do. I am a closet gear hound, and woe be it if i ever revealed how many skillets/woks/cookbook/kitchen knives…and other knives I really have accumulated over my 66 years. I prefer classic styles to the newest tech, and prefer stuff that is overbuilt, or well built. The Made In carbon steel pans are just well built. I mentioned the fit and finish of them in my other post…It think it is the fit and finish that leads them to become seasoned so quickly, and become so user friendly. I tend to use carbon steel pans more for everyday usage more than the cast iron, and the Made In pans get most of the journeyman work, I’ve been using a Smithey Farmhouse skillet for larger jobs since it is wider. So far, if someone were to ask me for recs for a carbon steel skillet, the first words out of my mouth would be the Made In. Surely the DeBuyer, the Mauviel, the Matfer, even the Lodge carbon steel lines are cheaper…but I have to give the nod to the Made In for finish and ease of use (seasoning). The thickness is NOT an issue.

2 Likes

I thought their stuff was Made In the US. Hmm. Disappointing. I knew their knives were French. Guess I’ll keep looking.

They make different cookware in different localities in the US and Western Europe.

The saucier that I bought was made in Italy according to their website.

I’m a she.

Their products are made in different localities in the US and Western Europe.

Why is made in the US disappointing to you?

I think it is the French part disappointing…for Greg
Yeah, Greg. @DaBadger Why won’t you like French made carbon steel cookware?

Not made in the US is. I’ve been trying to stick with buying US made, but am not a fan of All Clad. That said I bought a Mauviel product recently, so there ya go. I bought because I wanted a simple CS pan for eggs. My pal has the Lodge and recommended against the Lodge. Thin mint. The Mauviel is thick and sturdy. BUT, if Lodge was even close, I would have bought the Lodge. It wasn’t close. I do try to buy made in the US.

Now, I search “saucier made in the USA” Made In stuff will come up. I was under the impression their SS was made in the US. Guess not. Good to know.

1 Like

I have French CS cookware, Mauviel. M steel, not the pretty tin. I love it.

A mix. Some are. Some aren’t.

1 Like

Yeah, makes one think Made In was a bit of a gimmicky name that might be misleading. Sure makes a search engine work to their favor. All good. I got time on my side.

1 Like

Practically the first thing it says on the website is, “Made In kitchen products are made in the best factories around the world.”

How do you view them as being deceptive?

1 Like

I think they may have chosen a name ,and it’s just good marketing, that inserts itself into searches well. I just thought the SS was US made. Learn something new everyday.

2 Likes

It seems Made In carbon steel cookware are cheaper than DeBuyer, on par with Mauviel and Matfer
For example, for the ~10 inch fry pan,
Made In is $63 (was $79).
DeBuyer Mineral B $81
Mauviel M’ Steel $70
Matfer Black Carbon $60
Lodge Carbon Steel $40

I take a closer look. I am not into getting another knife from Made In, but it is actually a pretty good price $99 for a X50CrMoV15 steel knife made in France. It is cheaper or on par with Wusthof, Henckels, and Messermeister.
Of course, it is tough to judge a knife simply based on the steel.

I care very much about origin of the products I buy, especially cookware.

Therefore Made In cookware has always sounded gimmicky to me.

De Buyer, Mauviel, Demeyere etc. make their pans in their own factory.

The Made In name made me think it was US made, since the brand is from the US.
This is what I find gimmicky about the brand.

I have no doubt Made In pans perform wonderfully.
They are just not what I’m looking to support with my hard earned money.

2 Likes