Mac n cheese

5 Likes

The Chrissy Teigen Mac and Cheese with Garlic Bread Crumbs!

Oh, how I love it so. The breadcrumbs really put it over the top!

2 Likes

@shrinkrap - Speaking of a custard based, Southern style mac and cheese, have you seen this recipe from Marja Vongerichten? I have made it only once so far (because I think my heart can only take it every couple of years), but it is very much like mac and cheese and quiche had a glorious love child.

3 Likes

That sounds pretty good!

2 Likes

Sometimes that processed element really makes a dish shine. Processed food manufacturers spare NO effort to make their products as addictive as possible, so it only makes sense that as ingredients, they make humble dishes extra delicious. I’m guessing the cheddar soup plays the same role that Velveeta or other processed cheese would. BTW, I agree with your decision to omit the eggs. Not a fan at all of eggs in mac and cheese - they tighten up the sauce way too much. I want the cheese and sauce oozing everywhere!

1 Like

Stashing this here in case I end up wanting these additional links. Thans for popping them up @Phoenikia

2 Likes

Hahaha anytime, my friend!

1 Like

@Amandarama That’s the recipe I use, and it’s a huge hit every time. My adjustments: I only use one egg (less custardy final product), I change the cheeses, and I use a mixture of bread crumbs and shredded parm on top (no cream cheese). For cheeses I use equal parts Dubliner (for flavor), fontina (for meltiness), and Monterey Jack. The first time I added Jack it was because it was all I had, and it created a wonderful toasty golden crust all around the sides and bottom of the pan. Jack then went into regular rotation. You can use any cheeses, of course, but this is the preferred combination I’ve hit on.
I also use less cream than the recipe calls for (more half & half and/or whole milk) which also makes it less custardy.
@Amandarama This probably isn’t the first time you’ve read me going on about this recipe. :smile:

3 Likes

We always put a hearty splash of Sriracha in our Mornay. As to sodium citrate versus Mornay, they are both wonderful. I prefer Mornay with cheddar, Gruyere, and Parmigiana and grated Pecorino Romano on top with panko. I use orecchiette. Making some right now since it’s just me and my son. A couple of Punt e Mes for the cook.

2 Likes

I’ve read but never tried Patti LaBelle’s recipe for Slap Yo Mama Mac&Cheese, which is said to be spectacular and is clearly very rich. I don’t see a need for egg, either. A yolk or two, PERHAPS, but a glob of mayo would contribute similar richness.

1 Like

I think mayo would be interesting, but the egg is about creating a custard, at least in my family recipe.

2 Likes

I know the egg is for custard but don’t think I’d enjoy that texture in M&C. Yolks are rich but the whites are sulfurous and if overheated, rubbery.

1 Like

I need to make this custard-type, I grew up with the white sauce-type.

That’s going to be a $25 Cdn recipe for me! Lol. 3 cans of canned milk at $2 each, 24 ounces= 680 grams of (good) cheddar cheese is close to $15-$20 Cdn (the cheddar in my fridge cost $3.89 /100 g and $4.09/100g) plus the butter, eggs and macaroni.

1 Like

Wow! How many servings is that? Is that the recipe I linked?

ETA I might look for a different recipe. I don’t know how often I’ve actually used a recipe, but I know I’ve never used three cans of evap. I don’t think I’ve used three eggs either. Maybe two. Most of my travails are on one of the other macaroni and cheese threads.

1 Like

It’s a whole pound of macaroni. I usually eyeball everything in my weeknight macaroni and cheese, I use maybe 2 cups of milk, and 1 1/2 cups of macaroni.

But I’m willing to try a new recipe, would scale it down a half recipe.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned this one yet. From the NYT, it’s my current go-to for an everyday mac and cheese. It’s roux based, no bread crumbs, and calls for Velveeta, along with sharp cheddar and Pecorino Romano.

I like to use cavatappi and Cougar Gold. A half recipe will last the two of us for days.

4 Likes

Well if we are talking about all kinds of macaroni and cheese, I once tried one that involved all the things, as well as cottage cheese and stirring! I don’t know that I made it more than once,but it was surprisingly good.

I think it was from this article. I originally posted it on a Chowhound thread, and took pictures of the posts. It was one of my favorite Chowhound threads.

THE WINTER COOK; Macaroni and Lots of Cheese

I was looking for John Thorn’s (the one with a lot of stirring) recipe and found this, which has several “famous” recipes.

2 Likes

Anyone make Kaseknopfle?

2 Likes

No, but that’s because I’m a Käsespätzle girl.
Lol.
http://globaltableadventure.com/recipe/triple-cheese-pasta-with-sweet-onion-kasknopfle/

I’m still thinking about an Allgäuer Pfanne I had at the Augustiner in Munich 15 years ago, served in a skillet, with mushrooms, emmenthal, onions. The Käsespätzle in Tirol are pretty amazing. I’m glad I had 10 days in Bavaria and Tirol in 2019.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, I like the cauliflower one and would probably roast the cauliflower first.
The cottage cheese, I’d also like to try.
The Delilah Winder’s is a miss for me with the processed Velveeta and the sheer amount of cheese it should be named 911 heart attack Mac n cheese.

1 Like