Mac n cheese

Never tried that. No separation ?

ATK / Cooks Illustrated and others have explained the food chemistry involved. Smooth melting though of course cheeses like cheddar will break if allowed to energetically boil…

Serious eats’ modernist mac and cheese is in the oven as we speak. So far so good but I can tell from tasting the sauce that a less aged cheddar would probably work better. I’m using 3 year aged Cabot cheddar (Costco) and it was pretty aggressive mixed with the sodium citrate. I will report back on the results.

It certainly was easier to do the immersion blending of the cheese than my usual roux-making.

2 Likes

I was making a smaller amount of M&C today, to use up about a third of a box of pasta. I wasn’t going to bother with making white sauce, so just started stirring shredded cheese, two slices of processed cheese food, and light cream into the cooked pasta. When I spotted a partial can of great northern beans in the fridge, what the hell? About 5 oz, including the thick juices. After a half hour in a low oven, the dish had a very smooth, creamy sauce. The mild beans were barely noticeable. Since cheesy casseroles can be, ahem, binding, I will add this to my bag of tricks.

4 Likes

As a follow-up to my mac’n’cheese recipe 'way up there: I was bothered by the rather dry character of the dish in its original form, and realized that it was the eggs doing it. So I stopped adding those, and the dish came out much better.

But wait, there’s more! One day it occurred to me that steamed, broken up and seasoned cauliflower would be good treated this way, and its extra moisture would be balanced if I put the eggs back in. So I tried it, and it’s become a regular offering at home and at potlucks.

1 Like

biondanomina: your thought of subbing tofu is interesting. I have some relatives that are carb-phobic in the face of Weight Watchers. I’ll add that cooking for them once, I used shreds of cabbage in place of rice noodles for a Pad Thai, and it was awesome (not just good, “awesome”). I wonder if cabbage could sub for pasta in a mac and cheese? Would probably have to be sweated well before baking.

2 Likes

The High on the Hog series on Netflix was nothing short of amazing featuring food and African-American history.

James Hemings was an elite Paris trained chef and also an enslaved person at Monticello.

One episode of the series features one of Hemings’ proud ancestors making his mac n cheese his way at Monticello. One easy take away which we now feature in our mac n cheese is to add some milk to the water when boiling the noodles. Not only is it delicious that way, it makes us feel good performing an homage to an incredible American and tradition.

Netflix’s ‘High on the Hog’ is essential food TV - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

5 Likes

I think you must be my new hero- sodium citrate. Gotta get me some.

I discovered a delightful shortcut to mac and cheese. It adds flavor without a lot of extra work and people seem to really like it. I stir in a jar of Classico or Bertolli alfredo sauce to a pound of very al dente pasta, and then a whole lot of cheese, usually cheddar, Oaxaca, and parmigiana or romano cheese. And a lot of pepper and nutmeg. Season permitting, I add chopped fresh basil or tarragon, too.
When I make a bechamel base, I add some fresh-roasted and chopped green chiles. Boy, is that ever good.

2 Likes

If you want to keep it really simple, just add a teaspoon of white vinegar to your cheese sauce. imperceptible flavor, but smooths out the grainiest of cheese. Not Modernist Cuisine, but works for me.

4 Likes

I only make this recipe around once a year, because it’s so decadent. It contains cheddar and gruyere, as well as some nutmeg. It’s the only Martha Stewart I’ve made over and over again!
Martha’s Perfect Mac & Cheese

4 Likes

I am ashamed to admit this but here goes: I bought a Paula Deen covered round baking dish at Kohl’s 10+ years ago because I had $20 in Kohl’s cash and it would pay for it. When I got home I discovered a slip of paper inside with Paula Deen’s recipe for macaroni and cheese. I had been trying various recipes for years and couldn’t find a good one so I figured I’d give it a whirl. It contained eggs (which is apparently a Southern thing) and also canned condensed cheddar soup as well as sour cream, dry mustard, shredded cheddar, etc.

It was good but I’ve tweaked it over the years. No eggs, more sour cream, and I even add Emeril’s Essence seasoning blend. I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve kept the cheddar soup. People go nuts for it. They pay me to make it for them for parties they are hosting.

It is the best I’ve had so far though a local hangout makes a very good version as well with the strange but delicious addition of basil.

5 Likes

I make a roux from whole milk, flour and some seasonings, then add sharp cheddar and diced rinsed ham.

Pour in prepared fusilli type pasta, then layer it in a baking dish with more sharp cheddar. Top with Gruyère and bake. :drooling_face:

3 Likes

5 Likes

The Chrissy Teigen Mac and Cheese with Garlic Bread Crumbs!

Oh, how I love it so. The breadcrumbs really put it over the top!

2 Likes

@shrinkrap - Speaking of a custard based, Southern style mac and cheese, have you seen this recipe from Marja Vongerichten? I have made it only once so far (because I think my heart can only take it every couple of years), but it is very much like mac and cheese and quiche had a glorious love child.

3 Likes

That sounds pretty good!

2 Likes

Sometimes that processed element really makes a dish shine. Processed food manufacturers spare NO effort to make their products as addictive as possible, so it only makes sense that as ingredients, they make humble dishes extra delicious. I’m guessing the cheddar soup plays the same role that Velveeta or other processed cheese would. BTW, I agree with your decision to omit the eggs. Not a fan at all of eggs in mac and cheese - they tighten up the sauce way too much. I want the cheese and sauce oozing everywhere!

1 Like

Stashing this here in case I end up wanting these additional links. Thans for popping them up @Phoenikia

2 Likes