Mac and Cheese

Please rectify!

4 Likes

My son would hate this. He’s very particular about the cheese needing to be Velveeta.

3 Likes

On my bucket list! But at the bottom. Like hospice bucket list.

I initially resisted some “custard style” Mac and cheese at a party last weekend, but the host offered to wrap some up to go. I took it, I ate it, and I liked it.

1 Like

They’re all entirely different dishes, so if you don’t expect one to taste like the other, it’s all fine.

3 Likes

I admit, I like all forms of mac & cheese. High fallutin, pedestrian, highly processed, you name it.

I don’t think I’d like the Flaming Hot Cheetos Mac & Cheese - not because of the Mac part but because I don’t like Flaming Hot Cheetos or any of the super Hot Doritos.

6 Likes

Has anyone made Masala Mac & Cheese? Lots of recipes online.

Also Tikka Masala Mac & Cheese

1 Like

Fun thread, and I am inspired. Cacio e pepe tonight!

2 Likes

My fav M&C is with bacon, caramelized onions, roasted poblano, and sometimes sun-dried tomato.

5 Likes

Yowza!!!

The Tikka Masala Mac and Cheese might have to happen. I’ve seen similar recipes (although usually with a prepared/store bought “butter chicken sauce”, a la this recipe from The Tasty), but I like that this one has you actually make the full chicken dish from scratch first!

1 Like

I think that is what my future husband made us for dinner on our first camping trip. Apparently this ‘dish’ was very popular on high Sierra Boy Scout backpacking trips.

2 Likes
3 Likes

haven’t had mac&cheese in a while so i looked for beecher’s at the supermarket. didn’t find it, but noticed a new version by stouffer’s — baked which mac&cheese, topped with toasted bread crumbs. loved it! will definitely get again.

3 Likes

What is the name of the new version of Stouffer’s Mac & Cheese?

This one, probably. I haven’t had it, but it looks worth trying.

1 Like

He calls it Penne Au Gratin, but this Jacques Pepin recipe is your basic stove-to-oven, roux-based, mac-and-cheese with a tomato topping:

‘baked white mac&cheese’

1 Like

I had this last night, and it does indeed say Baked White Mac & Cheese on the box along with “New Recipe.” It’s not the one I linked to on the Stouffer’s website. Stouffer’s must be lagging behind in updating their website because I couldn’t find the new one on there. And you’re right, it’s good. Generous flavorsome breadcrumbs which you don’t often get with frozen mac & cheese.

1 Like

I don’t find it helpful to say they’re the same considering the number of people constantly asking or assuming evaporated milk is condensed milk in recipes. It’s one of the most common comments and mishaps in recipes that contain one or the other.
Just a couple of weeks ago someone was griping about how the pumpkin pie recipe they were making contained two cans of condensed milk and sugar and it wasn’t until I asked if the recipe wasn’t calling for evaporated milk rather than condensed that this person realized the mistake.

And anyway they’re not the same for someone who says that evaporated milk is off-putting because it contains carrageenan and disodium (or sometimes dipotassium) phosphate, as sweetened condensed milk is just milk and sugar if you buy a good brand. There is some evaporated milk with no carrageenan, though.

3 Likes

I keep evaporated milk on hand as a staple. I mostly have condensed milk in Vietnamese coffee, and occasionally buy a can for Hello Dollies.

The texture is so obviously different. Condensed milk is thicker than a syrup. I can’t even imagine adding sugar to anything calling for a can of condensed milk.

3 Likes