What's for Lunch 2015 - 2016

I find the taste and smell of raw kale repulsive. For this salad I quickly stir-fried it and plunged them into icy cold water to retain the colour.

As for the hipsters, I want to see if they ever make salsify hip again. Salsify is avalable here during the cold months. Actually, as soon as autumn arrives.

Nicely done.

Defrost the fridge for repair, ate 5 pain au chocolat today, not sure I still find that nice.

Chicken fuji apple sausage grilled and topped with pickled red onions and carrots. Side was slaw.

1 Like

Didn’t do much cooking due to a baking project. There was cheese of course but they are not “new” so no need to make photos of them (Langres, Camembert etc, all soft and runny French kind from Normandie).

Haha… Naf, I got natto. There are 3 different kinds and this is 1 of them. Smeared both the mustard and natto on toasted sourdough spelt bread.

Instead of grilled mackerel like in Japan. Green stuff is seaweed that came with the oysters. I just sauteed it with some tamari and sesame oil.

If I had a cat it would go bonkers watching me eat the crab claws.

3 Likes

What kind of crab salad and oysters are those?

The colors in your photos are beautiful.

I think you need to be adopted by a cat…

3 Likes

Brown crab, a common species here in north Atlantic and North Sea. Flesh is firm and sweet. I have tried whole ones but they require a lot of work extracting the meat.

There’s a scientific name for these oysters on the printed label… they are commonly known as “flat oysters”. I shall check the latin name next weekend.

Winter is so gloomy here I always need to adjust brightness and contrast.

I think a cat would like me… I’m a cat person and a nurturer. My “problem” number one is loss. Can’t deal with loss. Everything and all relationships end(s) in pain, especially when feelings are involved. Every single one of them. Problem number two is my long holidays. I would have to find a service to take the cat whilst I’m away.

Believe me, I’ve thought long and hard about getting one for so long. But who knows, I might get one when I no longer go on many long-arse holidays. Short ones should be easier for the cat.

Given the frequency with which you consume high quality fishy goodies, cats will love you, without question.

Brlunch today is a Hot Brown sandwich served on Buttermilk biscuits with Gruyère, Jarlsberg, Parmesan and Ex Sharp Cheddar in the Mornay sauce, dusted with hot Spanish paprika:

2 Likes

These days either a big late breakfast or a big lunch. Rarely have both the same day.

A very good and filling pumpkin soup with leek, carrot, bacon, potatoes, coriander seeds, chicken broth and cream + some old bread. Good for the warm winter.

4 Likes

Don’t know about Presunto’s kitten, my cat only likes tuna, other fish doesn’t interest him a lot, like sardine. He dislikes oysters or scallop. He can tolerate a bit of shrimp. He’s more a meat lover.

1 Like

Mine comes running from the far corners of the house whenever he hears a can opening. It’s like he has radar for ears.

If it’s fishy he gets up on the counter in no time to help.

He’s a very helpful kitty.

You mix the cheeses together?[quote=“VikingKaj, post:369, topic:1743”]
Given the frequency with which you consume high quality fishy goodies, cats will love you, without question.
[/quote]

Ja, I hope it likes seafood, too. @Naf’s cat likes meat… I didn’t know they had their own preferences.

And I wouldn’t want to leave the cat alone at home even for one weekend. I want it to have a good quality of life.

Yes, in the Mornay sauce. I do this frequently, also for mac and cheese.

I also add a little nutmeg if I am doing this for Schwaebische Schinkennudlen zB.

OK. Thanks. I tend to eat my cheese separately.

Wanna cook some Swabian dishes for fun? I have a little Swabian cookery book I got in Tübingen (or was it Baden-Baden? I forgot now).

Completely different tastes, preferences and also their own little personalities.

Next to apes and monkeys they are our closest genetic relatives.

Here is our boy Reddi Bummler:

4 Likes

He’s enjoying it!

Mine would be a British Blue, a perfect cat for me in every way.

Here is the one I use if I am not doing it from memory:

It was a present from my great aunt.

Avocado, beet, grapefruit, radish, micro greens, and crispy wild rice. Miso dressing.

We had lunch at Otium (Los Angeles). With the salad I had fresh baked bread with a very luxurious wuthrich butter and maldon salt.

DH had a hoe cake with fried chicken bits and maple butter. Was eaten before I could take a pic.

6 Likes