Lunch 2024

Do you really care? Mushrooms and bacon/fat are a match made in heaven.

1 Like

You want to use a neutral oil if you’re going to cook morels using fat.

Bacon fat, while great, masks the nuanced flavor of morels, which goes from nutty and sweet to a lingering umami punch in the mouth.

Bacon fat does no favors to morels.

2 Likes

You are right. Don’t know why I took the bait!

1 Like

These morels came out fine, though.

1 Like

No doubt.

But given the choice, I think a more neutral oil would’ve done the morels more justice.

1 Like
3 Likes

Just got a box a little while ago. Thank you for the photos and description!

1 Like

Thoughts on butter + mushrooms?

I hate butter.

On, and in, all things.

Every week I grill four or five BLSL chicken thighs and eat them cold for lunches. This week I found a straightforward, mostly-pantry ingredients chicken thigh soup recipe as I was preparing to grill, and pivoted to that instead. This is a chicken and white bean soup recipe from Martha. Heavily doctored, since she had no spices whatsoever, nor any onion or garlic (!) So I added three crushed cloves, plus cumin and dried oregano.

Now it’s good :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Really?

Yes.

I never use butter.

I use it only out of necessity, not out of choice.

When baking things like brioche or shortbread, I will use butter, because I have to as the quiddity of those items depends on the addition of butter, and not because I want to.

Even with pie crust, if I could get away with it, I would just use all shortening. As it is, it’s usually 1:1 ratio of butter to shortening.

Wow! I had no idea (maybe you’ve told me this before and I blocked it out).

I readily admit that this is a “me” problem and not a “you” problem. :smiley:

1 Like

62* and sunny put us in the mood for a rice salad.
Tuna, capers, fennel, red onion, oil cured olives, tomatoes , rice, beans held together with an anchovy/garlic vinaigrette. And enough leftover for another day :grin:.

11 Likes

But, but - Lard is -right- there!

Indeed it is, but for sweet (as opposed to savory) pies, I prefer shortening to lard, as I find lard has just a bit too much of a hint of savory bite to it.

If I am making chicken pot pie or beef wellington, yeah, lard for sure.

Apple pie? Shortening.

2 Likes

The bowl itself looks edible.

Well done. Bravo.

3 Likes

Merci! Bowl is from a now retired potter in France. I’ve managed to collect a few of his lovely wares.

5 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like