Lunch 2024

I’m not a fan of MOS Burger. If you can find a “Freshness Burger”, they make the best chain hamburger out there. But it’s more expensive than others (but less than a gourmet burger). There’s a smallish chain called “Awajishima Burger” which is kind of in between an standard chain and a gourmet burger. If you can find one, they’re quite good.

2 Likes

Wishing you a soft landing in Vegas, happiness and success back in the US. I’ll watch for your posts.

4 Likes

Thank you so much! It’s never easy to restart one’s life and I should know well about that because I’ve done it a few times too many! But at 60 and doing it in a city that doesn’t agree with me will be a challenge bigger than ever!

6 Likes

I wasn’t alone when we moved back from the Netherlands and DH started winding down his work with a NATO project so his frequent travel gradually came to an end. I had the big surprise of a late stage breast cancer diagnosis, though, at the end of that summer. We had to adjust our dreams and expectations. I’m so lucky to have a steady, reliable life-partner. I wish wonderful things for you. Change can be good.

8 Likes

Former Chowhound uhockey is an endocrinologist in Las Vegas, who posts lots of reviews on his blog. His blog might help you find the quaint side or hidden gem side of Vegas and nearby cities.
https://endoedibles.com/?cat=21

1 Like

Lotus of Siam is still a pretty big deal for Canadians who visit.

I guess it is relative, depending on where you live in the States, too.

1 Like

Though I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis and battle with breast cancer, I’m happy to hear that you had someone there for you.

From my first move to Japan in 1984 until the time I left Shizuoka in 2023, EVERY move has been upward. But leaving Shizuoka, while necessary, has as of yet not led to anything upward…and that’s putting it mildly.

I met someone whom I consider the perfect person while I lived in Shizuoka and even if just for that reason, I treasure the decision to move there from Tokushima back in 2021. I miss Shizuoka city and the very small handful of friends I made there and hope to be reunited with them there again.

9 Likes

Thank you! I bookmarked the site.

1 Like

Light lunch.

10 Likes

Udon and kabocha squash tempura at Marugame Udon in Amagasaki with my GREAT friend, Ryota. Ryota has treated me like a king for many years. He’s beyond generous and is one of the few people I know who truly accepts and understands me.

He’s being kind enough to put me up at his apartment for the next 4 nights before I leave. It’ll be nice to sleep in a room on a futon rather than in a booth at an Internet cafe in a reclining chair. It’s also nice to have someone to be with and talk to until I leave the country I consider more my own than the country of my birth.

Thank you for everything, Ryota!

16 Likes

Thanks for the description. One of the Asian restaurants near my office serves omurice and never ordered it because I didn’t know what it was :slight_smile:

Good luck with your move back to the US and I hope you can find somewhere to call home. And hopefully you will be able to relocate to Japan permanently one day.

1 Like

Longtime favorite and go-to whenever I have tomatoes waiting to be used: Naomi Duguid’s golden egg curry.
I love how simple this is. There are versions of this Burmese curry with more ingredients, but this one tastes perfect to me as is. I simplify it even more because I rarely have fresh chilies, so I just use cayenne.
I like to double up on everything besides the eggs so I have more sauce to spoon over rice.
I tend to cook the shallots (often onions) a bit longer and sometimes I peel the tomatoes (or use canned). Because I love the combo of fish sauce and tomatoes so much I just squirt it into the sauce and fairly certain it’s always more than called for. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Any scallions/cilantro I have tend to get tossed in at the end.
It’s really one of the easiest and quickest meals and one I crave often.

Served with buttery rice for the comfort factor.

8 Likes

Where did you source the recipe? The only one of Naomi Duguid’s cookbooks I have is “The Seductions of Rice” which she wrote with her then husband Jeffrey Alford. I love the rice pilaf in that book.

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Today’s take out lunch was a doner box. Doner meat was served poutine style with fries coated with florescent coloured cheese sauce topped with beef.

Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!

7 Likes

The “spicy ham” from a favorite, local sandwich join that just opened a new location that’s even closer to me! Loads of ham, cheese, pickled jalapenos, crispy fried onions, lettuce tomato and spicy mayo on a terrific, fresh sub bun. Place was jumping at around 11:30 AM , but the service was swift and friendly.
Half for lunch and the other half for later.

11 Likes

You’re welcome and thank you for your kind words. “Spanish rice” is the closest thing I can think of to what’s inside the omelette. It’s basically rice mixed with ketchup and onions which sometimes has minced chicken or green peppers in it, To me, it tastes like the rice served in Mexican restaurants served in the US.

Regarding returning to Japan one day, that would be great, but at this age, I imagine it’ll only be as a tourist, not a resident.

2 Likes

Um, what is that?

Savory soufflé with ham, shrimp, veg, and ?? One bite enough for me, DW enjoyed the rest.

I stuck with the Strawberries Cheesecake.

9 Likes