Lunch 2024

I really want to eat a pickled apple now!

I think I got it at Netcost, so go there!

Fourth verse, same as the third (or something like that): the Mississippi roast is the gift that keeps on giving. Finished up the last of it today, which was just about enough for 3 delicious tacos.

5 Likes

Leftover salad after mid-day PT didn’t quite suffice, so I made a couple of trout roe toasts for a mid-afternoon second lunch :yum:

8 Likes

Ramen again, with poached halibut, snap peas and asparagus

8 Likes
3 Likes

Chocolate/hazelnut/marzipan pastry thingy from a local bakery for lunch, so delicious and only $5.00!!!

10 Likes

Do you just add veg and fish to those store-bought ramen packs? Looks great!

Dude, you know how to lunch!

1 Like

The local Japanese products store (Tokyo Fish here in Berkeley) has packets of fresh ramen noodles. They’re about the same price as the dried versions, and much better. The fish also came from that shop–halibut trim at half the price of full slabs.

6 Likes

Bruv, I don’t always lunch, but when I do… :smiley:

1 Like

A Vermonter sandwich— ham, sharp cheddar, tart apple, maple syrup and mustard. For the bread I wanted a sandwich loaf, but I didn’t want the more typical kind which is super soft and enriched with milk, butter, etc., so I made a lean dough to which I added some sourdough starter for flavor and baked it in a loaf pan. It was exactly what I wanted— a crisp crust and more sturdy than a standard sandwich bread.

I also made semi-homemade tater tots. I love tater tots, but can’t get then here. I also can’t get starchy potatoes most times, which means making them from scratch isn’t possible, so I made my own with frozen French fries. I was supposed to plate everything, but I ate half the sandwich while finishing up the tots :joy:.

I thought it was so funny when I saw comments on this sandwich about what the point of griddling the sandwich is if you aren’t going to melt the cheese. It reminded me of people who can’t abide eating chicken that doesn’t have crispy skin. I find the idea of melting the cheese in this type of sandwich unappealing. By keeping the sharp cheddar unmelted it tastes creamy and cool, where melted cheese can taste too decadent and greasy. It also just tastes great with the crisp apples.

11 Likes

Because people like different things. I have zero use nor taste for floppy chicken skin & find it generally unappealing. I would probably also prefer my cheese melted if I’m gonna go through the trouble of griddling a sandwich. And I would leave out the maple syrup bc I don’t care for sweet elements in my savories for the most part.

That’s the beautiful thing about personal tastes and preferences: they’re personal. Not better, not worse, perhaps amusing to some… just different.

How boring would the world (and this forum be) if we ate/liked the same things?

2 Likes

I get that. I didn’t mean I was confused about either of these two things. My point was that I think these two groups coincide. I personally love soft chicken skin as you often see in various cuisines, but I know many don’t.
In the case of the sandwich though, there’s an actual reasoning behind it based on the desired result. While I like melted cheese, I think it would make for a lesser sandwich than unmelted here because it’s really not a hot ham and cheese sandwich.

1 Like

I’ll take your point about the cheese being better unmelted in this context, but you will take my gribenes / cracklings from my dead, cold hands :smiley:

2 Likes

Pesto pasta with green beans and potato

10 Likes

Is that homemade pasta? It looks like it :star_struck:

It is! Made with 00 flour and KitchenAid pasta roller and cutter

2 Likes

Brunch, not lunch, from “Café Bombom” here in Tokushima. Crème brûlée toast (filled with homemade cream cheese custard!), homemade caramel almond praline gelato and plain yogurt with strawberry sauce. Unpictured, but included were a nicely sized salad full of various vegetables and a small pot of their house blend coffee. Just ¥950/USD $6.49 and everything was delicious!

Here’s their website, but beware the prices, operating hours and other information is out of date (an annoyance in another post!)

9 Likes

Holy hell, batman!

1 Like