Lunch 2022

Is it juicy? Looking so good btw

The thickness of the cheese is perfect. I love bread but I want to taste the cheese a bit more :yum:

Sometimes I get off the train in Köln to eat and drink at Gaffel am Dom then catch the next train. Gaffel’s big restaurant Brauereiausschank is conveniently located across from Hauptbahnhof/station. (I’m sure you remember)

1 Like

Hot weather meals (on different days).

Nice (barrel-aged) feta with assorted Greek olives.

Intensely mushroom-y chilled portobello and walnut puree.

Air-dried Mettwurst. Similar to salami made with soft fat.

Rye bread with pumpkin seeds (brought back from Middle Mosel).

Marinated new-catch Matjes (sweet-sour Norweigian-style)

A simple “sausage salad” (a salad with cold cuts).

Super ripe cheese

This net of razors used to cost eur8, this year it’s eur12,50.

Croatian beer

7 Likes

Tuna sandwich with potato chips

6 Likes

Not really cooking if you’re just opening up packages and breaking apart some cheese, but it was lunch — some ‘Spanish’ chorizo, Manchego, and pita crackers. At Upper Sardine Lake in the “Lost Sierras.” (I hadn’t heard that term the whole time growing up when we’d go up there to my step-mom’s family’s cabin but I guess that’s what people are calling it)

14 Likes

DIY sausage McMuffins with egg, and broccolini

8 Likes

Scrambled eggs with shrimp, broccolini with oyster sauce, and rice.

12 Likes

AND broccolini. Looks good to me.

1 Like

LOL. I just ate one of these. Mine has cheese, though. I like to improve on McD’s. Looks good, though.

1 Like

Lunch, part one: amazing rice stuffed mussels from a Turkish food stand advertising their restaurant. Well, the advertisement worked: heading there for dinner :slight_smile:

Lunch, part two: funghi focaccia from our favorite purveyor, doused in chile & garlic oil, and topped with extra RPF and oregano :slight_smile:

6 Likes

:rofl: Works very well.

The mushrooms and cheese cover the entire surface. Never waste a pizza or bread surface!

1 Like

Where’s the drooling emoji?
Fantastic looking scrambled eggs with prawns!

1 Like

OMG, I thought those were maggots in the mussels. Thank God I scrolled up to read your caption.

Cured salmon

Young cheese, trout roe, North Sea shrimps.

Smoked Matjes “tartare”

Another meal…

A “salad” of Cretan cheese, broad beans and tomatoes.

Santorini lentil spread

Broad beans and octopus with olive oil

Ricotta with honey and pistachios

The best black olives I’ve ever tasted. (The package)

Fava and tomato paste (on Santorini). 2 recipes on the back of the package. Afterglow with Oia in the distance.

5 Likes

I’m sure I asked this before, but you eat ALL of this for lunch? Or is this a compilation of your week’s lunches?

In any event, the fava looks great. It’s a favorite.

Never. If a meal contains many small dishes, the leftovers are for another day. Can’t never eat them all in one go. But weekends are the only time I can make a bunch of things and take my sweet time eating.

During the week it’s just fruits and overnight oats. A few chunks of cheese. Absolutely nothing like the weekend lunch feasts.

Also, it has something to do with the travels I’ve done. Many places I visit I make lunch the main meal like most locals, and for dinner, just a light meal. I find that I can’t eat as much as I used to. Harder to fall asleep after a “normal” dinner.

6 Likes

Kimchi fried rice with fried eggs

10 Likes

Chicken, edamame and tomatoes from the garden.

6 Likes

You certainly put out a lovely spread.

1 Like

Kimchi fried rice might be THE perfect dish. When I was first exposed to Korean food, I was under the impression that kimchi was to be eating like pickles. Right out of the jar, part of the relish tray. Then, I taught the kids of a Korean family and tried mom’s kimchi fried rice. The light went on; and I’ve been making it since.

So I have a few days off coming up and asked the Mrs. what she might like to eat. Tator tot casserole. Damn. I’ve never been a big fan. She likes what she likes.

2 Likes