Lunch 2022

It pops easily and I love it. Part of the joy of eating trout caviar to me is the sensory sensation of the eggs popping against the roof of my mouf. Like poprocks from the sea. Well, perhaps not exzackly like poprocks. Much better.

1 Like

Sliced chicken breast, tomatoes and a delicious basil vinaigrette brushed on the baguette…and a little slice of raspberry pie.

12 Likes

Breakfast tacos with beans, cheese, eggs, breakfast sausage, tomatoes, and salsa on flour tortillas.

9 Likes

missing roe

1 Like

It’s a sesame kind of day here with bulgogi salmon and sesame broccoli to go with some rice, and black sesame pound cake for later.

9 Likes

Zhajiangmian with cucumber

11 Likes

And lunch was…an Italian black rice salad with pork tenderloin, sugar snap peas, string beans, tomatoes, peppers ,artichokes, with a basil vinaigrette .
Dessert was a chocolate mousse with raspberries layered through it… and I have two more of them!

11 Likes

Ants climbing a tree with the last of some peas tossed in. This is the first time I’ve done the wet version (where the noodles are simmered and soak up the sauce rather than stir-fried) and it’s delicious, but I think I still prefer the dry version. Wet version definitely requires some rice!

10 Likes

Shrimp and spinach omelet, potatoes, and blueberry scone, with a (half-eaten) side of oatmeal. And a sliver of cantaloupe just to balance things out.

Oh, and a cup of Americano. (Well, actually 3, but who’s counting).

Yes, I was very hungry today. :yum:

9 Likes

That’s funny. Most of the Latino folks where I live are either from Oaxaca, or Veracruz (Jarochos.) Now, Nicaragua’s movin’ in. Stuffed potatoes. When to a Nicaraguan girl’s Bday party, and the stuffed potatoes were new to me. Pretty dang good.

I’ve noticed that once you get out of corn country, and into banana land, the tamales get huge. Bigger leaves give us brazo de reina, which is a mother tamal.

All these pretty places to eat, I look for the word “casera”, “homemade.” Had some of the best meals in places that could barely seat 6, and paid next to nothing, but ate like a king.

1 Like

Lunch today courtesy the neighborhood taco cart which has tamales - but for the blink of an eye usually. I guess it’s Saturday and their usual weekday customers weren’t around to eat through the tamale stock.

I asked the lady to save me two on my way to the grocery store, but when I circled back I told her I’d take 4, and she threw in an extra (I think she took pity - there have been so many times I’ve showed up to buy tamales and she’s completely out :joy:).

So - tamales pollo verde for lunch today, and for the freezer.

10 Likes

Made a batch of Deborah Madison’s potato and chickpea stew, which is one of my favorite recipes from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone and later In My Kitchen. The generous amount of sherry and saffron make it taste special. I used kale rather than spinach, so I added it early on to get it tender. Fried Spanish chorizo to go with it.

11 Likes

Summer means Greek(-inspired) food!

Salad with samphire

Octopus cooked in red wine. Hard to see on top of beetroot-chickpea mush.

Real Santorini “fava” (Lathyrus clymenum), brought back from Santorini.

Golden hour on Santorini back in September. It was glorious like this every day.

SV roe sacs

White slices are Cretan cheese

Amateurish “Riesling” (not German)

7 Likes

I absolutely love fava. And octopus. We really need to get to a couple more Greek resto before we head back to the boonies… :sob: :sob: :sob:

1 Like

Met up with an old co-worker from Fulbright days, who insisted on taking me out for sushi. Who am I to say no to that?

Saba nigiri, sake & avocado handroll, sake, eel & crispy salmon skin roll. Very good quality.

7 Likes

And for lunch…we had a bread frittata with sautéed onion, Swiss chard and assorted herbs from the garden. Dessert was strawberries and strawberry sorbet.

9 Likes

I had frozen boiled potatoes before I left on my last trip (to salvage a bag of potatoes). Thought I’d make an approximation of IKEA’s potato and broccoli cakes. But who has time to form patties :joy:

So something between those IKEA cakes, a kuku, and a tortilla resulted - tortilla technique (soaked the potatoes in the egg for a while, also the flipping), vegetables barely held together by egg like a kuku, and flavor inspiration from IKEA.

Bit fussier than I intended (which was to mush everything together and pour it into a pan, lol) but delicious anyway. It could have taken another egg, but I thought would end up eggier than the potato cakes.

I made some garlic aioli to accompany today (yesterday I ate it hot and it needed nothing extra).

10 Likes

Egg fried rice with leftover takeout broccoli

9 Likes

Omurice with curry sauce

13 Likes

Beautiful results, your technique must be great!

2 Likes