Lunch 2022

Asian-ish style chicken salad…poached chicken breast, snow peas, carrot, scallion, radish, etc. The dressing was soy, sesame, honey and vinegar along with sesame seeds.
Almond cake, strawberry gelato and delicious strawberries was dessert.

10 Likes

Don’t enjoy going to the supermarket in my food hell, but on holiday I look at every aisle, fridge and freezer! The wonderful German supermarkets are always fun to wander round. How fast the time passes when you are busy checking out what the inhabitants like to eat and have access to.

In my food hell we are not clever enough or interested in having frozen, ready to eat boletus and salsify.

The horseradish cream blew my nostrils off. I overestimated myself.

The 1 big (sliced in half) boletus takes up much of the package. Meat is Kasseler. A pork product that’s been cured and smoked.

Another day, another sparkling Riesling.

Some “snacks”

Bakery in the neighbourhood. Notice it’s also open on Sundays and holidays, for 3 hours. Germans need their fantastic bread daily. Most things are closed on those days. From what I’ve heard, bread is the top one thing Germans miss when they live long-term elsewhere. I would feel the same, being a bread eater.

On the way back from a 15km walk when I was passing by vineyards on the way down I stopped to watch a farmer work. There’s a built-in ramp on the side of the tractor that he drove his lawn mower like machine on it. I think the little machine is for clearing the weeds between the vine rows. He drove all the way down to the end of each row, back to the top, then onto the ramp. And how did he move the tractor to the next row? By using a control panel within his reach. The process was repeated until every row was done The vineyards here are so steep most of the time you can’t just stand on the ground. You must hold on to something.

Here he came back up again from the bottom of the slope. When he drove up on the ramp he was lying half way flat.

After watching the farmer I started walking again and saw this. Thanks for your hard work, farmers!

Finally reaching the street level and admiring my twin village through the rows of vine. Next year or 2 they will be in bottles so that we could enjoy. Without the farmers, the bees and critters there would be no wine! Respect for (vineyard) farmers.

7 Likes

I’ll have to look out for those porcini and salsify! And I’ll be serving that horseradish to friends we’re having over for tapas shortly. I remember it has a good kick to it :slight_smile:

I was actually hoping to score some Preiselbeermeerrettich, but I couldn’t find any. That would’ve been the perfect combo with the peppered smoked mackerel i’m serving!

I didn’t see anything “exotic” in the horseradish section. Just checked Edeka site but they don’t have your favourite. However, Kaufland does. Also check “Feinkost” shops. OR, add some (frozen/preserved) Preiselberre (lingonberries) to the Edeka horseradish cream? Would do in a pinch.

https://www.supermarktcheck.de/edeka/sortiment/meerrettich/

https://fddb.info/db/de/lebensmittel/kaufland_preiselbeer-sahne_meerrettich/index.html

This site lists a few shops that stock your horseradish cream.

https://fddb.info/db/de/suche/?udd=0&cat=site-de&search=Preiselbeer-Sahne+Meerrettich

A giant, glazed Franzbrötchen (a type of pastry) filled with poppy seeds.

Marzipan “snail”

Red current “snail”

Later at a simple restaurant in a village on my bike route.

It was hard to make a photo of this boletus cream soup as there was no texture to focus on (I focused on the little black fleck). But it was good and the flavour of boletus was intense.

Pork (usually stuffed with something) grilled over coals, traditionally. Or in the oven.

• Germany, is one the the most forest-covered countries in Europe.
  • The village where I ate my meal above.
  • Official sign of Mosel Wine Route
  • The photo cannot convey the steep terrain these terraced vineyards are built on. Goats would love the height.
  • One can “sponsor” a grapevine plant. Get 3 bottles of wine each year for the sponsorship. Here you can see name, place of residence, and year on each slate sign.
  • What a lovely part of Germany. (Green) beauty in every direction. Tourists tend to only visit the big cities and miss out on some of the best experiences, like this valley. So thanks again, for going to France and Italy.
  • Other boats have names related to this area, but not this one.
8 Likes

Sandwich with ham, turkey, bacon, and Swiss cheese, and frozen French fries.

11 Likes

Ribs and macaroni salad…the elbows had New Orleans olive salad, red pepper, cucs and chickpeas, mini tomatoes . Dessert was a stove top steamed custard with strawberries.

11 Likes

More spectacular Thai food: laab ped, som tam, dumplings, pad thai, pork noodle soup, laab moo, laab nuah (not pictured: green curry, moo ping, mango with sticky rice).

7 Likes

What’s in the plastic bag? Rice? Why is it in a plastic bag and the rest isn’t?

Everything looks great. I hope they don’t do “farang spicy”.

Oh, they’ll ask you if you want that or Thai spicy :wink: Plus the soup lady has all the usual suspects to add (the soup itself isn’t spicy at all): dry chilies, chile sauce, vinegar with fresh chilies, fish sauce with fresh chilies, sugar, etc. And she recognized me after not having been there for 3 years!!!

Dunno why the rice was in a separate bag. I usually order the laab without it, as it adds nothing for me.

3 Likes

I’ve often seen sticky rice served pre-portioned in a plastic bag. Not sure if it’s for storage/portioning, if it’s actually cooked in the bag, or for another reason.

1 Like

Me too, whenever I get sticky rice at a Thai restaurant it’s usually in a plastic bag inside another container like a little straw cup. Maybe it keeps it from sticking to the sides.

1 Like

Back in (food) hell now. Meals are from a couple of weeks and couple of days ago.

Slow-cooked lamb shoulder in the oven. Round balls are actually dumplings from bread crumbs.

Harvested all the lemon balm in the garden and made a thick sauce with them. Underneath the surface it’s bright green like the leaves on the plates.

Salmon poached in Riesling.

A simple pasta with green asparagus “sauce”.

(In Traben-Trarbach the other day)

Menu says “farmer- tyle” liver pate. It’s supposed to be darker and coarse, and more importantly, must taste of liver. What I got was white and hardly had liver taste. Too much cream. It’s for people who hate liver, surely. I love liver so this is not what it’s supposed to be. I asked if it was “farmer-style” and they said yes. :thinking:

Classic Flammkuchen. Most winery tasting rooms are open in the second half of the week and only serve simple meals.

To keep the glasses chilled just pour Riesling into them.

9 Likes

Lunch today: Mini casseroles of kielbasa, refried beans, roasted tomato and serrano salsa, and cheddar, served with flour tortillas and hot sauce

10 Likes

And yesterday we had…Mortadella spuma with a little Rosé, pasta alla
Nerano , in this case, linguinette with fried zucchini, and strawberries with vanilla gelato and a meringue shard.

11 Likes

:star_struck: :star_struck::star_struck:

Had some filet and Napa cabbage, so I made a batch of udon noodles and stir-fried with black pepper sauce.

11 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

Another mac and cheese Monday, with extra sharp cheddar. And broccolini and grape tomatoes with sesame dressing.

11 Likes

Chicken sandwich, tater salad with tarragon and chives. A slice of apricot custard tart for dessert.

13 Likes