Lunch 2022

Shirred eggs on a bed of crab risotto with toasted scali bread and Nueske’s bacon

11 Likes

Asparagus frittata today and strawberry tart with strawberry gelato.

13 Likes

The frittata looks gorgeous on that platter!

2 Likes

Thank you! We love this frittata, it’s very custardy due to the bread cubes that soak in the eggs and milk for 30 minutes prior to cooking. Any veg seems to work well. This is the unmolded side, topped with grated Sardinian sheep cheese.

9 Likes

Would you be willing to share your frittata recipe? I’ve never made one with bread as part of the filling. Thanks.
I forgot to mention how wonderful the strawberry tart looks on the pink plate!

1 Like

Of course! This started out from the site “ Memorie di Angelina” and it’s called Frittata di Pane. I have adapted it to suit our tastes.
Cut the stale bread into cubes.approximately 100 to 150g.
Add:
250 ml milk
This is poured over the stale bread and soaked for thirty minutes. Here is where I diverge from the recipe. The recipe calls for the bread to be drained in a colander, I retain all the milk and just add the 4 eggs that are called for. If you drain the bread, you won’t get the custardy consistency. 25g. Parmesan is added to the mixture, salt, pepper, parsley. …or how much cheese you would like to add…I just coarsely grate “ enough “. I then cook it stove top on low/medium heat for a few minutes and then place in 350* oven for about 20 minutes until puffed and lightly brown. Add additional cheese to top the last five minutes or so. The original recipe calls just for stove top cooking until done.
To add veggies as I have done, sauté whatever you have on hand, drain well. Pour in about half of the bread milk mixture, top with the veggies and pour over the remaining milk mixture. I sometimes poke in more veggies on top.
Let rest 3/5 minutes before unmolding.
ETA… the baking pan is a round 8x2…so timing might be different, it’s important not to overtake it.

8 Likes

You have such beautiful dishes!

1 Like

Thank you! I also have too many of them😂!

1 Like

I belong to that club myself!

1 Like

Thanks! Memorie di Angelina looks like it has a lot of promising recipes.

2 Likes

Yes, I think so also. @damiano is a fan as well.

1 Like

Neck/collar steak (“lumberjack style”)

Sausage salad

A former monastery got converted into a brewery, in a beautiful and tranquil setting. The beers are very nice too boot.

At another place:

Onion soup with a heavy cheese toast

Smoked trout on plate but it’s more about the herbs and edible flowers they grow in their own garden.

These leaves are so intensely aromatic I thought they were lovage. Wife/cook said celery. I eat celery leaves all the time but ours don’t have this kind of intensity in smell and flavour.

4 Rieslings and 1 Sekt (“traditional method”)

Restaurant is in the basement and has 5 tables. We were the first to arrive and had only 2 tables to choose from. Owners are kind and cool. Man is the vineyard farmer himself, wife cooks in the restaurant when it’s open - mostly in high season. They enjoy telling you about their wines and their food. The regulars arrived shortly after us who were on hugging-and-kissing terms with the owners.

All the herbs and edible flowers come from their own garden and they all taste wonderful.

• There are cookery books for Mosel region. (Unfortunately, I don’t buy cookery books or souvenirs.)
  • Wine is the soul of the Mosel valley. You can bring vine plants home.

The mind-calming beauty of the Middle Mosel:

8 Likes

Fiery AF som tam and moo ping (belly) with a fairly hot tamarind sauce, as well as ‘king’ dumplings (lamb, pork, chicken) at the weekend Thai park here in Berlin. Most authentic Thai I’ve had outside of Thailand, and a weekend tradition of mine for years.

8 Likes

I am! :slight_smile: Your frittata looks lovely and I’m thoroughly impressed by your deviation in getting the custardy consistency. You’re encouraging me to become a more active poster myself!

1 Like

Yay! Looking forward to seeing more posts from you!

1 Like

I like ita lot, too - had great luck with their focaccia

1 Like

Lunch today will be the GUILTY PLEASURE taste of childhood-- Chef Boyardee Ravioli :laughing:

3 Likes

Hope you’ve had it since… you might otherwise be disappointed :wink:

I have & it’s still the same. :nerd_face:

Mildly smoked Matjes

I’m a bread eater in best (sourdough) bread paradise.

Pentecost long weekend, most places were closed. On top of that it rained all day.

Riesling Sekt (Champagne-style) comes in Brut and Trocken (dry) and I usually get both. This winery has a tasting garden and cellar just across the street from my lodging.

I hadn’t planned on doing any cooking. Forgot to get some herbs for this sauce so it’s just soft eggs mixed in yogurt.

There’s a container specifically for shoes. In some other places you can only drop stuff in containers at certain time of the day. The times are printed on the containers like in the photo.

The 2 carriage train to get around this area is called Mosel Wine Train, but locals call it “Guzzle Little Train”. You can visit different villages and drink lots of Riesling there. Some people buy bottles and drink in parks, on benches, on pavement, anywhere really.

Sheltering under a big tree waiting for the big downpour to stop.

9 Likes