Lunch 2022

And for lunch today…a mushroom, shallot tart…a little garlic and tomato, splash of Marsala.
Duck leg cooked our favorite way in BBQ sauce with a green salad on the side.
To finish, a mini chocolate mousse with strawberries.

12 Likes

I’ve been meaning to ask. Is lunch your main meal or do you go thru this lovely procedure again for supper? I only make special lunches on either Saturday or Sunday and
special occasions

Main meal on most days, something small for supper :blush:

2 Likes

We like Banh Xeo Saigon in Prenzlauer Berg.

It’s just up the road from us. Which dishes — besides, presumably the banh xeo (?) — would you recommend?

To tell the truth, I don’t remember exactly what we ate. We were there with my cousin, who lives quite close to the place, and he told us that he had forgotten how good it was.

1 Like

Good to know. It’s pretty cheap, so I’m willing to try it.

Hope it works out for you.

1 Like

Roy Choi’s “Spam Bahn Me” was on the menu for lunch today. I made one just like he instructed and one using spam cooked in my family’s Korean spam sauce.

Weirdly, I always have some Thai/Vietnamese daikon and carrot pickles in my fridge. I like them in salads and other stuff for crunch, sweetness, and tangy vinegar goodness. So I skipped that step. I also used mint and thai basil instead of cilantro and thai basil as he suggests. Mostly because that’s what I had and my cilantro was spent.

These sammies were filling and delicious. The Maggi seasoning, sriracha, and mayo dressing was super good as well. Although, I think I could’ve added in more sriracha and less maggi seasoning for a better tasting mayo for my palate. I will tweak it next time.

The crispy shallots added a great crunch and I wouldn’t have thought they would add what they did. But fried shallots are a must include.

Also, I used low carb hot dog buns instead of a baguette. Mostly because I am low carbing and baguettes aren’t on the menu at the Shark casa.

8 Likes

Scallops in escargot butter, baked at 500* for five minutes…garlic, butter, parsley , chervil and truffle salt. Processed garlic, butter, etc. and rolled into a log and chilled. Dishes were put into the hot oven and when warmed, sliced butter dropped into the openings. The scallops were rolled in the now melted butter, five minutes later, bubbling, browned and delicious. We then had a mushroom risotto and strawberry/raspberry sorbet. Do I have to make supper tonight?

11 Likes

Went tonight after a long day. I’ll tag you in the WFD thread when I post my meal there :slight_smile:

I made the mapo tofu style eggs from here and they were really good, but next time I’d make a few changes.
I cooked the eggs less and kept bigger curds and would do that next time. I’d also use three eggs to get more of their texture. I would cut the soy sauces by half and add more to taste. Anything with broad bean paste is going to be pretty salty, so it’s better to start off with less soy sauce and go from there. It also would help the color be more red to use less dark soy sauce.
I am generally cautious with Sichuan peppercorns and only used 1/4 tsp that I’d toasted, but the 1/2 tsp he called for would be fine. I definitely will make this one again!

6 Likes

Bought from 3 different bakeries, eaten on a Luxembourgish train. I actually took 2 bites from each but ate much of one pretzel. Travelling companion hit the pastry jackpot.

Views from the train window. Riesling vineyards all along the route.

Been a long day, but at this very moment…

Classialc bottle conditioned fermentation, bottles are turned manually. AKA méthode champenoise.

Riesling (Sekt) every day for a week in Riesling paradise.

11 Likes

Mmmmmm. HEB peanut butter and Bonne Maman blackberry jam on Pepperidge Farms thin white bread.

7 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 10.32.55 PM

1 Like

Winery tasting room with simple food served is an easy 5 minute walk from my lodging.

Local/regional game (I think most probably wild boar) plate. Coarse Leberwurst, salami, terrine,

Game terrine. Need more gherkins).

Coarse game Leberwurst

Game Bratwurst with cripsy fried Speck and potatoes

Slate is everywhere here. This is one of the reasons Mosel Riesling tastes so good and dry.

In Riesling paradise.

Views from my table
On the way back to the lodging.
7 in a (perfectly straight) row.

I’m based in this twin village on the banks of the Mosel. The 2 villages are connected by a bridge. A nice base for hiking/walking and biking to villages and towns along the Mosel and the area around here. I biked all day yesterday and now feeling it in my legs.

Local wildlife. I wake up to sounds of birds, everywhere you go you hear birds. There’s so much nature here for them, whilst at home my government keeps trying to eliminate every last patch of greenery and even trees and shrubs that line the street.

We sat here. Want to have a picnic at this very spot one of these days. Saw (female) locals watch sunset with beer in hands here which gave me the picnic idea.

Thanks for going to France, Italy, Australia, NZ etc! One of the most beautiful vineyard valleys in the world and I’m here, again (last time I stayed in the impossibly pretty village called Bremm). See how the Mosel twists and turns much of the way. There are many twin villages and small towns on both sides, connected by bridges. The most popular biking and hiking route is from either Trier or Koblenz. The Middle Mosel valley is extremely popular with domestic holidaymakers and tourists especially from neighbouring countries, and even Brits. They all arrive from mid June and it’s heaving until October. If you don’t book accommodation way in advance then there’s absolutely no chance in high season. It’s the Santorini of Germany.

5 Likes

Beautiful, all of it. And I want that Riesling tasting & all the game stuff :slight_smile:

Not far from Bonn :slight_smile: Riesling at every turn. The areas around Trarbach and Bernkastel-Kues have a very high concentration of vineyards and wineries.

Btw, what’s going on with Spargel in Rheinland? It’s been exactly 1,5 years since I stopped reading news.

In Luxembourg they have their own kind of German. A bit like Afrikaans, gives me a headache when I try to read it.

4 Likes

Letzeburgisch. It’s more like a mix of French/German/Dutch AFAIK.

I have no idea why the Rhineland is in a Spargelkrise. That’s just sad. I almost had a crisis when I recently paid near 12 Euro for a kilo, but it was delish & still far cheaper than getting it at a restaurant.

As you may or may not know, the region around Berlin is one of the two major Spargel producers – Beelitz in Brandenburg & Schwetzingen near Heidelberg.

3 Likes

A very generous “small” antipasti plate at the Italian market nearby. Nice variety of breads, very good meats & cheeses, great olives. Didn’t finish & brought some of the salami & cheese home.

11 Likes