Lunch 2021

:joy: :rofl: :sweat_smile: :joy: :rofl:

Lidl has a brand new theme (where I live): Sicilian(-style).
Some of the things I got:

No sharp taste of vinegar and the anchovies are very mild. Even fish haters wouldn’t mind eating these.

“Primosale” (“first salt”), the youngest stage of pecorino. There’s also “second salt” and of course, then comes my favourite, aged pecorino. (The double-smoked ricotta I brought back from Sicily myself.)

Loosely based on a Sicilian sandwich called “Pani Cunzatu”. Bread with primosale and tomatoes, topped with another slice of bread.

Walnut spread with lots of double-smoked ricotta. (Misspelled wallnut in the photo)

Olives are too mild for my taste. I like them salty and bitter.

Ricotta with Sicilian pistachios and honey.

My snacks every day this week: got 10 ears of fresh corn. I like to steam them and eat the kernels row by row, left to right.

I do the same (using the lid), also with frittata. My eggs were ruined every time I used the oven, even after many tries adding them at different times and durations.

8 Likes

This is lunch today.

7 Likes

Presunto,

Lidl does a E.U. country´s imports monthly to introduce products from other countries to the exported country in Spain, I see that they are doing it where you are … It is wonderful.

Sicilian products especially their cheeses and charcuterie and Extra virgin olive oil and wines are extraordinary.

Awesome photographs … Have a nice Sunday.

1 Like

Someone posted watermelon salad recently and i couldn’t get it out of my head. With mint, goat feta, black pepper and Spanish olive oil. Goat feta is a little too strong, but still okay. Sometimes I use old bay instead of pepper.

12 Likes

Nice! I love (water)melons and feta but have never put both on the same plate.

This meal was last week… see what I mean?

I like “strong” tasting feta, as well as creamy and mild. And barrel-aged kind. One of the Turkish supermarkets I frequent stocks a strong-tasting feta that I like. Old sheep’s milk is used to make the cheese.

My travel companion didn’t like it in Albania so I ate her portion as well. Now, that was really, really strong. But I suspect the cheese was old, as in expiry date was weeks ago.

8 Likes

Gyudon - rice bowl with simmered beef and onion.

10 Likes

Khao kha moo - rice with braised pork leg (from a batch from the freezer), pickled mustard greens, broccolini, hard boiled egg, and chili garlic vinegar sauce.

8 Likes

My son fried the spring rolls and ate them before I came back from the garden. ( I cannot eat those spring rolls as they were made before my diagnosis of Alph gal syndrome and has pork as one of the ingredients. Very tempted to have one bite but my epi pens have expired. )
I did roast 2 trays of cherry tomatoes in the countertop oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes after mixing EVOO, garlic, S/P , herbs which he ate with the spring rolls and I had some with my left over tamarind soup from last night to which I added some more fish. It was a good lunch
I do not know what is wrong but sometimes, I cannot upload pictures but they are in my photo album and I can send it by email. However, when I want to upload it from hungry onion site, I cannot find the pictures.

3 Likes

Not professional looking but I made them. In the style of Greek sesame bread rings. I used poppy seeds as well.

This was in Greece. Mine is pale in comparison, that’s because I didn’t give them a dip in grape molasses.

Back to lunch…
Scrambled eggs with tomatoes

New melons to me. Mild and sweet. Produced under licence in Almeria, Spain and distributed from there to other European countries.

Waikiki melon

In the cup is a paste of blended walnuts, some macadamia nuts, poppy seeds and honey. I use the paste on bread, yogurt and in pastries.
Notice the photo used on the label of the honey jar. It’s one of the most enduring images of stunning Santorini. Starch white staircases and walls with intense cyan blue backdrop.

The same paste in a Weck pot

Espresso cups also doubled as egg cups. (Names of some of the places I have visited on the cups)

It’s actually a typical breakfast in Greece but it’s for lunch at my house. 2 days in a row and no “Greek salad” and the partner be like “no Greek salad?” It’s the queen of summer salads! We eat it almost every day.

Other photos…

I don’t possess any heels, handbags, perfume, makeup or feminine stuff like that. Photography brings me more joy and enriches my life. New toy has arrived this week:

In the back garden

Black mushrooms in the woods. A critter suddenly appeared and inadvertently got in the picture.

Ready-to-fight position

Gloomy and heavily overcast, unfortunately. Like a low contrast film style.

Old (and disused) church half way between my house and the woods

12 Likes

Truly exceptional photographs and gourmet classic treats …

Enjoy your new toy !!

1 Like

Swoon. Your pictures are *beautiful !

Do you know which white echinacea that is? I love white echinacea!

Also, are you sure those bread rings are not Turkish simit? :hushed:
JK
Even auto correct wants to change it to similar!

1 Like

I’ve (oddly) been craving sandwiches, and the British food in America thread put me over.

So I ordered a loaf of sandwich bread, and first up was a thin indian omelette sandwich. Minced shallot, serrano chilli, and cilantro mixed into the egg and spread thin, then folded up to the size of the bread slice.

Hit the spot.

Coming soon: cheese, then tuna, and I have to get some chicken salad and ham too. There’s a loaf of bread to finish :joy:

7 Likes

Egg fried rice again, for Meatless Tuesday

6 Likes

Sandwich with breakfast sausage, scrambled eggs, and American cheese on ciabatta with mayo.

8 Likes

6 Likes

Sesame noodles (recipe here, pretty good, would make again) with a fried egg and broccolini.

10 Likes

5 Likes

Simit is a little different: smaller in diameter, thicker, bready-er, the hole in the middle is smaller, ring is formed by twisting 2 strands of dough together.

Those are the key differences between simit and koulouri, as far as I know.

Mine very much resembles the Greek version

This was interesting and it was in Poland, this bread has geographical protection status. I asked the seller permission to take a photo because I wanted to look up this bread when I got home. The price signs had names of the bread rings that’s why. It’s closer to Pretzel, however.

I pulled the plant info tag out of the soil… it’s Echinacea purpurea. I have both white and deep purple. Attract lots of bees.

Got super lucky with this butterfly

Check out the eye and fuzz! Could barely see all these details with the naked eyes. My macro lens revealed them, all I had to do was hold absolutely still to capture the shots.

I don’t know the name of this one… the filaments are like little flames seen in macro.

What it looks like normally.

And last one or you, I know you were there briefly and I was there for 10 full days. Walked all the way down from the street high above. So steep I had to take small steps sideways half the time. And yes, I was right where the (calf-deep) water meets the sand but didn’t want to cross over to the island.

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing. Your pictures are amazing! You should give classes.

Way down there is my family on the steps. I think they walked down to the island while I got a head start and sat on the steps.

I think I got a picture of one of those butterflies on my zinnia, but I’m gonna need a bigger camera!

Wait! That’s not it! I think that was a bad guy. Do you know the name of your butterfly?

I used to have a named white echinacea purpura that disappeared. I would love to find it but can’t seem to find the name.

ETA I think it was White Swan

I was sort of joking about the simit; my DIL has influenced me to be suspect of anything that identifies as Greek!

7 Likes