Lunch 2021

Damn that’s a fine looking tomato!

1 Like

Gorgeous!

1 Like

Pseudo “Santorini" "fava” puree. It’s not “fava”/broad beans, but a variety of yellow split peas (Lathyrus clymenum) that only grows on Santorini (a Cycladic volcanic island in Greece). A small-scale production and the work is manual so these “fava” are rightly pricey. This puree is the top meze dish on Santorini and costs about 10 euros. Local wild capers and chopped onions on top. And olive oil, always. If not eaten as meze then with (grilled) squid/octopus/cuttlefish as a main course.

Roasted aubergine salad and simply boiled octopus tentacles.

Squid

Salad

Nemea is one of the wine-producing regions in Greece

The 3 most important staples in Greek cuisine: bread, cheese and olive oil. There’s a Greek saying “No mill. No meal.”. But the bread you see in the photo is Turkish Tandir flatbread (actually bigger than a dinner plate, I cut it up and piled on a plate here). Made fresh daily at my favourite little Turkish “supermarket” in the big city 9 kilometres from my small town.

My imaginary Cretan granny would probably be proud of me. Look up this beautiful Greek word “philoxenia”. Seared apricots drenched in honey and pistachios. Quark with port-infused cherries. I potted several jars of fat cherries last summer and have started eating them this week.

Also made some “pizzas” this week. I had some pastes to use up. Half with beetroot and broad beans, and the other half with beetroot and rhubarb. Grated cheese on top.

Thanks. For some reason the photo had not shown up as I was typing my reply.

Thanks, @Respectfully_Declined !

7 Likes

Truly wonderful.

Yes, reminds me very much of Santorini …

1 Like

Thanks, Barca. Santorini is next on my (very long) list.

2 Likes

I am sure that you are aware of the horrendously horrid fires in The Athens area, and Pelepponesse.
Many of the European Union Countries, Switzerland, Israel, France, Sweden and The U.K. sent firefighters and fire fighter aircraft and supplies this past weekend.

Romanian vehicles crossed the Greek - Bulgarian border last night with 100 firefighters and a large brigade of firetrucks and fire-vehicles of various types.

They have also arrested some arsonists.

Oh my … Take a look at The Guardian. They are quite up to date on this horrenously horrid nightmare.

They rescued thousands via ferries and also the big cruise ships …

Have a pleasant August and all my best wishes.

2 Likes

Very impressive!

2 Likes

Chicken and tomato sandwich.

“I am sure that you are aware of the horrendously horrid fires in The Athens area, and Pelepponesse…
They have also arrested some arsonists.… Take a look at The Guardian. They are quite up to date on this horrenously horrid nightmare.”

Oh no!

5 Likes

@Presunto - please tell me why you’re not posting these fabulous meals in the Greek COTQ? Hope you do so, they are fabulous!

3 Likes

Sunday lunch - roti jala (Malay lacy egg crepes) with chicken curry.
All-natural colors used to tint the egg crepes: pandan leaves (green), beetroot (red), turmeric (yellow), and bunga telang flowers (blue).

Deep-fried spring rolls, with Worcestershire sauce dip, on the side:

16 Likes

That looks like one special lunch!

1 Like

Wow! Did you make all that @klyeoh? Looks both beautiful and delicious.

Roti jala always reminds me of idiappam - but with appam batter and made in a pan! I also can’t get my head around how to scoop / dip a curry with a lacy roti vs a solid one :joy:

1 Like

I wished I could’ve made all those myself - but, no. If I have to make my own, I’d have only opted to make the yellow/turmeric-tinted one. But the good thing is that, we now have the squeeze-tube container, which made it so much easier, compared to the old method using the old brass utensil.

The old brass equipment was much more unwieldy and required quick wrist action to make proper “roti jala”.

We’d normally spoon the curry sauce over the crepes. :grin:

7 Likes

So pretty! Almost too pretty to eat, if it didn’t also look so delicious.

2 Likes

Bucatini with Rao’s marinara, asparagus with béarnaise sauce

13 Likes

My first large ripe tomato from the garden. Must have a BT sandwich, I don’t do the L, for lunch.

11 Likes

Funny - we had BLs last night, minus the tomatoes. We like tomatoes just not on sandwiches. They were great though!

1 Like

Omu- not-rice :joy:

Leftover singapore curry noodles wrapped in a thin omelette - because I forgot the egg when I made them.

Sautéed spinach, also leftover.

10 Likes

Breakfast for lunch

12 Likes

I can have this all day.

2 Likes