Lunch 2021

Thanks! I used the gravy from Chef John’s recipe which is pretty simple https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/272767/chef-johns-loco-moco/

1 Like

Way cool. My dad, who worked decades as a cook at various restaurants made the best gravy and au jus. A good friend had more than once, asked my dad make extra quart or two of turkey gravy on Thanksgiving so she can run home to complement her own roast turkey dinner feast.

Dad whipped up a roux and went on from there, sometimes adding whatever brown spirits on the table.
Never measuring or timing, totally on feel.

I can’t dream to replicate his gravy, I see Chef John’s recipe often in my future. Thanks!

3 Likes

Sourdough rye

North Sea shrimps and oysters.

Frost and very dense fog

8 Likes

‘It does not quite look like a human being,’ said Violet, doubtfully; nor could they make out what it really was, till the Quangle-Wangle (who had previously been round the world), exclaimed softly in a loud voice, ‘It is the Co-operative Cauliflower!’

1 Like

Lunch today was an open faced hot turkey sandwich on sourdough bread smothered in turkey gravy and a heavy dusting of Zanzibar black pepper. Forgot how much I enjoy this hot lunch.

3 Likes

Love your two fog photos - beautiful.

That sounds really good!

Also warm lunch here, Rooster.

Leftover vegs and leftover spelt from previous dinner:

Cuttlefish in home-made spicy chilli sauce:

I happened to turn around and saw some bird crash-landing on my lavender bush. He did not stay still the whole time and didn’t hang around too long, either. Photos are not great quality but at least I got something. This bird is also known by another name “thistle finch”. They are attracted to thistle seeds. He ate mouthfuls of snow pecking on the lavender.

I sing because I have a song!

Female chaffinch in my lilac tree.

Thank you, Librarian!

Spring can’t be far away now!

7 Likes

Outstanding in every way.

1 Like

Thank you, Rooster.

Enjoyed on a toasted bialy.

6 Likes

Instant ramen with some pork belly chashu, soft boiled eggs marinated in the chashu cooking liquid, bean sprouts, and pickled ginger.

9 Likes

Ditto. You sandwich looks really good though.

Date molasses! :yum:

That looks great @Mr_Happy! I’ve been practicing different degrees of egg boiling and really need to start tackling chashu!

1 Like

Chilean Sea Bass Ceviche in Leche de Tigre

10 Likes

Happy New Year.

2 Likes

I made some tagliatelle following this recipe:

rolled out with a stand mixer pasta roller and had some for lunch today with some ragu alla Bolognese from the freezer. First time making pasta with 00 flour, there definitely was a slight difference in texture compared to the AP + semolina I’ve used before, this one was I think a bit more delicate.

Also a tomato.

10 Likes

AMUSESBOUCHES90333950_1115072708828233_7979329777406312448_o

6 Likes

North German-style food: North Sea shrimps and rollmops. In German these snacks are called “fish rolls” (rolls in diminutive form).

I like to use horseradish cream for these fishy snacks

Here you see my high-end diffusers. Home-made frames and parchment sheets. The sheets distribute the light more evenly that’s all. Otherwise you get spots of harsh light on the glass/bottle or plate. Also, this is our table where we eat so no separate room with elaborate photographic equipment. Hah!

Got a new lens last week, fully manual, large aperture, Chinese brand. I already tested it, of course.

Spring can’t be far away… everyone is waiting in anticipation. There’s nothing good happening these days so something like asparagus brings simple happiness.

It’s a small farm.

In photography this is called sun stars, and flares.

(More in next post)

8 Likes