Lunch 2021

I wished I could’ve made all those myself - but, no. If I have to make my own, I’d have only opted to make the yellow/turmeric-tinted one. But the good thing is that, we now have the squeeze-tube container, which made it so much easier, compared to the old method using the old brass utensil.

The old brass equipment was much more unwieldy and required quick wrist action to make proper “roti jala”.

We’d normally spoon the curry sauce over the crepes. :grin:

7 Likes

So pretty! Almost too pretty to eat, if it didn’t also look so delicious.

2 Likes

Bucatini with Rao’s marinara, asparagus with béarnaise sauce

13 Likes

My first large ripe tomato from the garden. Must have a BT sandwich, I don’t do the L, for lunch.

11 Likes

Funny - we had BLs last night, minus the tomatoes. We like tomatoes just not on sandwiches. They were great though!

1 Like

Omu- not-rice :joy:

Leftover singapore curry noodles wrapped in a thin omelette - because I forgot the egg when I made them.

Sautéed spinach, also leftover.

10 Likes

Breakfast for lunch

12 Likes

I can have this all day.

2 Likes

Tomato and basil sang-witch.

9 Likes

Dumpling time!

Pork and garlic chive (yellow and green, from freezer) with store bought Northern style wrappers.

PXL_20210814_175917132

15 Likes

looks delicious.

1 Like

Nice! Do you know what brand wrappers?

I dug the wrapper out of the trash!

3 Likes

Beauties!

1 Like

Impressive and colourful.

I saw in an episode of “Asia unplated with Diana Chan” (an Australian production) a guest made Vietnamese rolls with these lacy wrappers, then deep-fried. He used a tin with holes for the “wrappers”. Hipsters’ version of Vietnamese deep fried rolls.

2 Likes

I also like thick wrappers but we don’t have them here. I use something they call “gyoza” wrappers, thick enough but not as thick as northern Chinese style. Korean wrappers are also thick but this Chinese supermarket stopped getting them for some reason.

1 Like

Your home-grown tomatoes are beautiful. Are the yellow ones also as flavourful as the red?

1 Like

Only thing missing is black pudding. Or maybe you don’t like black pudding?

Potato salad, with cream and dill. A bit north German style, but I don’t use any recipe.

Southern German style (steeped in warm broth). I like mine with grainy mustard and crispy-fried Speck.

A typical north German light meal (my version): Rollmops, Matjes herring, North Sea shrimp, salmon roe.

Another lunch:

Loosely based on Cretan-style Kalitsounia (mini spinach pies). I used Peking duck pan cakes and also added crumbed feta to the vegetable fillings. Kalitsounia contains one type of vegetable, it could be any seasonal one. I made half with spinach and half with roasted aubergine pulp. Both had crumbed feta. The yogurt dip had parsley and more feta in it.

11 Likes

I love German food. We lived in NL for several years and struggled to find restaurants with anything we liked, although I do fondly recall a pannenkoekenhuis that had a sauteed chicken liver/onions/brandy choice near Wassenaar. When DH traveled to Germany for business, I was always happy to accompany him because of the food. And we always took a large cooler with us because we had access to groceries at Ramstein AFB.

1 Like