Lunch 2020

Fried rice with beef and lettuce.

6 Likes

Nice okonomiyaki!

1 Like

Fried rice with lap cheong and shrimp.

10 Likes

I pureed some steamed squash with eggs and finished half way in the oven. Omelette? Frittata?

There were other things for lunch but nothing you haven’t seen before. No sun and was so dark so I only made a couple of photos very quickly. Grated black radish and bread are also in the photo.

_ _

Heath landscape is very common around here. I also have some heaths in the garden. Right now the heath fields look like this.

What it looks like during “golden hour”

A tiny path on this walk

Deer probably don’t come out during the day in this woods. Highly stressful with constant military Chinooks and other aircraft flying overhead. But I’ve seen deer a couple of times in a different woods.

5 Likes

Boiled eggs mashed with some quark.

Black radish, Speck (a type of smoked pork belly), and smoked herring etct

_ _

We don’t like going to these woods often. The military train there every day, highly stressful for me with all the constant flying aircraft noises and firing.

Rubbish they left behind

2 Chinooks flew over us like this the whole time. When they were directly above I could see the soldiers’ faces! Not to mention the sound of the rotor blades makes my heart pound.

Then they it was practising landing on the heath field right behind us

In Iceland the winter sun sets at 3pm, here it’s at 4:30 so I had to hurry back to our parked bikes.

From here it’s another 45 minutes biking to reach home

Golden hour and country road. The sun was about to touch the horizon right here. We got home 15 minutes after these photos were taken and it was dark as night.

4 Likes

One of the most hideous colours! The only time it’s good for is when it’s food (naturally). Over here pointed cabbage is as common as “normal” cabbage". I usually buy pointed cabbage as it’s smaller than the round kind.

Based on a Hungarian dish of noodles/pasta with cabbage, crispy Speck and crumbly cheese (called Káposztás Tészta). I don’t have the specific pasta shape (square) so I used something else. The dish is also very popular in south Germany and Austria. Especially in Austria. I think because it has Kraut (cabbage). Austrians are huge fans of brassicas. Also, Austrians have a deep nostalgia for their old empire.

Crispy fried Speck in Iberico fat (and some fresh turmeric).

Beer and Polish curd cheese

Another lunch:

(Turk’s) turban squash, kaki and Polish curd cheese. Only half the squash is shown here.

The squash, cheese and eggs were pureed together to make pancakes. The kakis and some squash were also pureed to make a sauce.

Made about 20 of them! Crispy fried Speck and kaki sauce alongside.

6 Likes

Beef rendang, rice, fried egg, and steamed broccolini

6 Likes

Korean street toast aka gilgeori toast following a recipe from Chef John.

9 Likes

Wanted to make Sicilian-style pasta with sardines but I used smoked sprats. Just as nice.

You can’t really see it lurking in the background… it’s tomatoes in oil and fried mushrooms.

How Austrians use up leftover dumplings the next day: slice and fry them in (Speck) fat. Popular additions are (scrambled) eggs, crispy fried Speck and mushrooms.

Fried dumplings 2 ways

The dumplings were from another meal

This is how many I made, minus the 6 eaten in the meal in photo above. 2 different colours from the same squash. Green balls have green flesh and skin. Half the flesh close the the skin is green. The green ones are actually sweeter than the orange. I think the sweetness comes from the skin.

Just pureed squash, eggs, lots of bread crumbs and some potato starch (which helps hold the shape). We have had several Austrian/German-inspired meals with these.

PS: Is @shrinkrap spoiling her son and DIL? They must eat well. :laughing: You must be happy right now. Enjoy every moment with them.

7 Likes

I see no hideous colors, but maybe I’m gauche like that.

That isn’t persimmon in that (Turk’s) turban squash picture? It looks just like persimmon! Oh! That’s the kaki!

Will do! The spoiling will last another 24 hours, then I want them to spoil me! They bought me lots of goodies!

1 Like

Roasted butternut squash and roasted peppers, “Nancy’s Chickpeas”, mint, vauduvan, other stuff…sort of like this.

And this

Also oatmeal and fruit bars.

4 Likes

Turk’s turban squash is in the middle, orange top. Some cooked chunks of it on a plate for the photo. I used the entire squash for the pancakes. Took 2 meals to finish 20 of them and we enjoyed every single one.

I hope the goodies they brought are food related also! :partying_face:

5 Likes

Yes! I’ll post it elsewhere, but olive oils, tea, sumac, biber, bulgur, and more!

1 Like

Oh, I was about to ask what the squares on the plates were.

Squashes and pumpkins combine well with many ingredients. I love squashes and pumpkins. Cheap and nutritious, not to mention versatile.

2 Likes

Yes, although I much prefer “winter” to most “summer” squash.

Those bars were made early this summer from some fruit from trees in our yard. I’ve been trying to get those bars out of the freezer and on to the menu for awhile. Not low carb.

1 Like

Open face tuna melt with potato chips.

8 Likes

Sandwich made with some leftover chicken karaage, cabbage, and tomato, with a pickle and potato chips.

8 Likes

Beef fried rice with shiitake mushrooms

6 Likes

“Avocado mash” even has a name, though normally including lime juice and salt. I’d be much more willing to call straight mashed avocado “guacamole” than some of the stuff that gets sold as “guacamole” but has too much unsuitable stuff mixed in.

1 Like

Ha! Also fried rice for lunch too! Cured Chinese pork sausages, one with rose wine and the other with 5 spices. Fermented bean curd, shallot, garlic, ginger, mungo sprouts, egg and soy sauce.

8 Likes