Lunch 2020

I had some feeders and baths, and then read I might witness mayhem, and abandoned my plans.

I have “perennial” bats as well.

What do you mean by “a safe environment”? We have some predators around here. Mainly hawks, some owls, and often jays, feral cats, etc. , that might make it things difficult.

I so enjoy looking at your pictures and enjoying vicariously . I hope you have a photography website.

Speaking of cherries, here are my sundried sweet cherries. It’s been 100 f plus and dry for several days

“You have to make a reservation for a time slot and there’s a fixed number of members who can be in the gym at the same time. They have removed a few machines and blocked off some between 2.”

Wish that was happening here. Husband went about two weeks ago and didn’t notice any change. I told him I didn’t want him to bring any “gym covid” home, and he hasn’t gone back yet, but it won’t be long.

3 Likes

I would love dried cherries (I eat a lot of fresh and dried fruits). Did you sun-dry them or did you use a dehydrator/oven? I don’t have a real oven and drying in the sun is out of the question.

I wouldn’t go to the gym if it was still busy like before Covid. People are put off by the time restriction and have got lazy after all the months without exercise.

Birds don’t like dogs and cats around. My neighbours on one side have a small dog, my newer neighbour on the other side has a fucking cat she won’t keep inside. We told her to install electric wire along our fence and shed and she said she would do that. I love cats, just not hers and not ones that come round my garden.

1 Like

Sadly, so true about those cats. My cats live indoor lives, but they do like to go into my fenced in back yard/garden for the occasional stroll and roll (and to eat grass). They are usually supervised (when I go water my garden or do lawn maintenance), but on occasion they cry to go out and I’ve let them out alone for 15-20 mins (this is only because I learned they will not climb over the fence). I always hear the squirrels and birds squawking and crying their alerts when they are out, even if the cat is just lying on the grass.

The other day, I was out with one my cats, watering my plants, and I’m in the shed grabbing a few items. I hear the usual bird alarms, and don’t notice they’re more frantic than usual. Out of the corner of my eye, I see my cat (white and brown) bolt and chase after something gray and feathery! I go out and see that my cat has his paws wrapped around a young robin and is trying to grab it by his mouth. The bird tries to hop away, but my cat keeps pouncing. I run after the cat, yelling at him, and follow him to let the poor birdie go. I finally get between him and the bird, and I grab him and lock him back inside. That poor birdie was so traumatized and the parent birds were furious – mom and dad robin were literally hopping mad and crying on my tree and fence. Thankfully the poor bird was ok and eventually flew back up to a tree after about 15 mins resting.

5 Likes

Mostly sun-dried outside for about three days. I brought them in at night, and on the first night kept them in the oven on 120f.

1 Like

Fage Total with fresh cherry compote and bee pollen.

5 Likes

I think I got my cherries for less than 2 dollars a pound. May buy again if I see them on sale. This week it’s been grapes.

Did you make the compote? If so, can you link a preffered recipe, and how long does it keep?

Here’s recipes I found on line

" There are only three ingredients in this cherry compote recipe (and one of them is booze)."

“Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, the compote should last up to two weeks.”

david lebovitz fresh cherry compote recipe

“In addition to being the answer to what the heck you (or I) are going to do with all those cherries, this recipe also deftly answers that age-old question: Can I freeze that? And the answer is a big, resounding, “Heck, yeah!” Once the compote has cooled, it freezes perfectly in zip-top freezer bags or other containers that you prefer to use, and will last up to a year. (You can also freeze pitted fresh cherries on their own as well.)”

Storage: This cherry compote can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It can be frozen for up to one year.

2 Likes

Huevos rancheros.

7 Likes

Yes, I’m on my third batch of cherries for stovetop compote. Once pitted and washed I cook them down with a bit of lemon juice. Once softened, I whirl in fp until jam consistency. Chill. Keeps well…in my house; 2 wks and poof.

5 Likes

What a meal!

Thank you! Sweet cherries and no sugar?

They don’t need it.

1 Like

Enjoyed this combo for lunch today, 'cept cooked on the grill. Added small amt. of spicy yukons from frozen brand and a batch of my leftover roasted carrots. Delicious.

Rather than place the fish directly on the grates, I flavored each piece with avocado oil and my spice blend and laid them on tin pie plates. The skin came off into the plates and the salmon cooked evenly with little watching. Sorry was too busy licking my fingers to photograph :wink:

1 Like

After so many meals at home, on Sunday I got this ramen from a booth at the farmers’ market. I walked down the street to a shady spot to eat it, reading the Sunday NY Times.

5 Likes

Sounds like heaven!

Lunch was cleaned up before I was able to photograph it.
Lamb meatballs done with Asian flavors and toasted snow peas served over ramen noodles. Quick and easy.

2 Likes

Yesterday’s lunch - chicken katsu with rice, salad and miso soup.

5 Likes

Khao kha moo - Thai braised pork leg cooked in the Instant Pot. With rice, broccolini, pickled mustard greens, a hard-boiled egg, and chili garlic vinegar dipping sauce.

7 Likes

Chia pudding with marinated cherries. Just chia seeds and Jersey milk.

And now something completely different…

Recently got a fully manual Chinese lens. My second manual Chinese lens. I got rid of the previous one and replaced it with this. It was a good lens I used for 2 years but it’s time I moved on to something else.

What it looks like mounted on a Fuji body

You ask other women how many handbags and shoes they have. You ask me how many lenses and cameras I have. 3 Fuji lenses and the newly acquired Chinese lens in a row. All 4 are optically spectacular. Not buying more lenses anytime soon, I have spent way too much money on photography since March. Did get rid of 4 lenses at the same time. This is all I need, at least for now.

Actually, I also got a second hand 13 year old Fuji camera. Unfortunately, there’s a defect I couldn’t live with so I got an exchange which I had to return. It was even worse than the first one. I sent everything back and got a refund. The Fuji cam only uses Nikon glasses, here I got an old Nikon lens to go with it. Had to return it as well.

Am still waiting for my next camera to become available. It’s out of stock everywhere and availability is still unknown, according to the shops.

2 Likes

Cherries every day.

Other components

The partner be like “but I don’t like cherries” but loves these dumplings.

When the swimming pool is open again my life will be nearly back to normal. But nothing from the government yet. I guess it will reopens in September as previously announced.

I miss it so much. 5 days a week I swim, steam and get underwater massage. My little piece of steamy heaven, my self-imposed isolation.

The women toilet is directly opposite and has no door, only stalls. I notice almost not even one man washes his hands. And women rarely. Fair to say about 1 in 10 washes hands. Btw, this is a women toilet but men use it to, just because they are too lazy and don’t care. The men stalls are only 2 steps further.

Therapeutic bath area. There are several warm water pools for different activities. I only use this one for the high pressure underwater massage. When I show up whoever occupies my spot immediately vacates.

Water jets come out of the wall (yellow circles) on both sides. My spot is the first line in the foreground.

Some photos taken with the new Chinese lens.
A very wet bee. It couldn’t fly at all when we had heavy drizzle for days on end.

Tiny flowers about to open

5 Likes

Oooo! Bee balm and Echinacea! I have some seeds I’m going to start for a fall planting.

What did you marinate the cherries with? I got a quart of Jersey milk and I’m obsessing over the best way to use it. Do you know how much ricotta a quart will make? Do you do anything with the whey? I seem to recall ricotta was originally made with the whey. Or maybe that was something else.

ETA; ricotta made from wheat was supposed to say ricotta made from whey.