Lunch 2020

Turkey nacho bowl.

7 Likes

(Fantastic) rye bread

Home-made ricotta on the bread

There’s a bit of everything here

The sky at midnight on summer solstice. 3 years ago the government built rental houses behind my house. Before that I could see far far behind the treeline.

Photos from my walks in the woods again:

Someone painted a couple of trail markers

There are athletics instalments like these hurdles scattered throughout the woods.

A processionary nest. We have a lot of problem with these. Even those who don’t have allergies are affected. With me the pain and itch amplifies tenfold.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of oak trees in the woods everywhere in the country. The government thought it was a good idea to plant so many oak trees. Processionary caterpillars’ hair up close:

A farm at the edge of the woods. Farmers were harvesting asparagus. The blue machine is called “asparagus spider”, a German invention. The harvesting is fully manual and back-breaking work. Each and every spear has to be hand cut. One of the reasons asparagus is expensive.

7 Likes

Made this “hash” in the style of Austrian Gröstl. The red bits are rendered crispy Iberico charcuterie.

Second part of photos in the woods but in smaller details.

Hairy pod

A nest, probably spiders.

These balls are not part of the tree. They are spiders nests.

Some insects also use the nest.

Colour of nature

A fungus that looks like different minerals

And on the same tree stump… I couldn’t see these with my own eyes but the lens could. Like a miniature forest.

8 Likes

Pan fried egg and garlic chive dumplings.

7 Likes

Ants climbing a tree, broccolini, and a bowl of rice.

11 Likes

Fettuccine with shrimp, garlic, shallot, olive oil and butter.

7 Likes

That would make me happy too!

2 Likes

Classic combo- impressive you whipped it up for lunch, I only put that much effort into dinner generally, although with the working from home COVID lockdown my lunches are a little more ambitious.

2 Likes

BLT on rye- finally some good tomatoes in my farm box.

5 Likes

Shrimp risotto and a salad.

6 Likes

Korean noodles with vegs

And kimchis (whole daikon and whole cabbage)

From another walk in the woods:

Someone painted the trail marker

3 little cones

Behind the cones

The setup

Many clear fluid-filled sacs like this one on pine needles. Probably made by some insects.

5 Likes

Vietnam meets Germany. Briefly browned pork paste with potatoes cooked in Iberico fat. In Germany there’s this meatloaf called Leberkäs which is served in a similar way, with fried potatoes, gherkins and eggs.

Another batch of radishes from the garden

I got stung by nettle and bitten by nasty ants trying to make these close-up photos.

Only the camera lens could see this

Just an ordinary and plain little feather until I turned it over… Probably a jay’s.

Found another feather on the way back to my packed bike. Woodpecker’s?

One of the walking paths on this day

7 Likes

Picture books in your future!!

2 Likes

Shrimp risotto and a salad.

7 Likes

The partner’s little snack

The partner be like “but I don’t like cherries”.
Then I made cherries dipped in pure chocolate.
“Can I have one?”
Me: knock yourself out.

Then not long after eating the above we knocked ourselves out with more cherries and Jersey cow’s milk cheese.

Juvenile great tits in the garden:

Just put the feeder on the garden table for a minute, went inside and someone got curious fast.

Windy day

PS: Thanks again, Senor Rooster!

9 Likes

Eating with my fingers

More shrimp the next day

Strammer Max roll

Chia pudding with mixed fruits

6 Likes

Up to my ears in cherries

It was so hot the poor birds do this to ventilate

Freaking Old Boy

On hot days birds open their beaks and puff out their feathers so the air can reach the skin.

Hey, my plant is not a sun lounger!

Old Boy is stretching. Tail is spread out like a fan, neck pushed all the way forward.

Restrictions have been further eased, my gym is open again. I’m really enjoying this! You have to make a reservation for a time slot and there’s a fixed number of members who can be in the gym at the same time. They have removed a few machines and blocked off some between 2. My gym is tiny (only 40 machines in total, some are multiple of the same things). This photo was taken last summer but it’s almost exactly the same now. Almost empty like this these days. Love it.

6 Likes

I look forward to your photos and I just ordered a birdhouse from a buddy who builds them.

2 Likes

Yay! You only have to put out some food, a bath and make sure the garden is a safe environment… and you have a free wildlife show.

2 Likes

Corn salad with a few leftover odds and ends.

6 Likes