Lunch 2020

Picked up some vegetable broth, mustard greens, spicy diamond, and potstickers from the Korean food stand at the farmer’s market. Put the veggies in the broth and had a nice healthy lunch.

6 Likes

Looks wonderful, but what is spicy diamond?
Thanks!

2 Likes

Lol- it’s stupid auto correct. Spicy daikon.

4 Likes

Funny!

Tried making beef shanks and dirty rice from a few recipe reads. Not bad way to make good use of a crummy weather day—cooking.

6 Likes

Lunch bento from a few days ago - rice, broccolini, tamagoyaki, and strange flavor chicken.

9 Likes

One day I want to make spicy diamond :rofl: Only had sous vide roe on hand for now. Cooked them and froze half before leaving for my holiday.

Tasted even better when I smeared Iberico Schmalz on the bread then piled on the roe.

5 Likes

I like this thread!

Last Wed I had “Indian” but was disappointed.

The chicken tikka masala was white meat (could that be right?), and the Seekh Kebab had too much “filler”.

Next week I might try a place that calls itself “Indian Fijian” and “Indo Chinese”. It has a buffet style lunch. Anyone know what I should look for?

2 Likes

Love dirty rice but have never made it. Shank looks delicious! (Belated response, I know :joy:)

3 Likes

I’ve never seen indian Fijian, though I know there’s a decent sized indian population in the Fiji islands. If I was guessing, I’d think North Indian Muslim dishes with local ingredient influence.

Indo Chinese is well established - I think it’s mostly hakka-inspired food that has more kick from aromatics and chillies. The individual dish preparation varies by region in India - for example Chilli Chicken can be dry-fried (my favorite) or in a brown sauce or an orange sauce. Hakka noodles and fried rice are pretty consistent (and delicious). Manchurian is a preparation that was created in Mumbai by one of the best-known chinese restauranteurs - battered <chicken/paneer/cauliflower/mixed veg balls> in a brown gravy heavily seasoned with aromatics - probably the most popular dish (after rice & noodles).

Don’t expect chinese food from China and you’ll be pleasantly surprised (kind of like american chinese has little resemblance to the real thing but is still delicious).

As a point of interest, chinese food is wildly popular across India - there are street vendors with giant woks stir-frying noodles and rice to order, and many inexpensive and mid-level restaurants have a “chinese” section on the menu (punjabi aka North Indian, South Indian, and chinese are the 3 menu sections at these places). Also integrated into other regional food - Szechuan dosa is a thing!

4 Likes

Hah, jealous of all these - looks great. @ttrockwood, hope you’re not still suffering through the sad desk lunches and dinners like me

2 Likes

They form the basis of the Indo-Chinese section of the menu at my favourite Mumbai street food restaurant (here in the UK). They also do a seekh kebab - I think it’s their normal kebab but chopped up and finished as a stirfry with peppers, onions and a little sauce that tasted very much Chinese rather than Indian (and finished with chopped spring onions).

1 Like

Hey there!

Thankfully the sad desk dinners are a thing of the past :):grinning: not new anymore freelance/consulting gig and they don’t want me doing overtime since I’m hourly :raised_hands:

I revamped my lunch strategy since Santa gave me an Instapot and have been making mega batches of different bean based soups most weekends that i bring in a big thermos with a side of the usual pretzels. The winner I’ve had on repeat is this curry lentil tomato coconut milk thing From bon appetite which i actually just do stovetop. I like to do a (vegan) yellow thai curry paste instead of the curry powder and then add a huge handful of cilantro when i pack it in the morning.

Hope your own sad desk dinners are a thing of the past or at least a rare occasion, life is just too fucking short for that crap

8 Likes

Glad to hear from you again! It sounds like both your work and food lives have improved. Please keep posting. I used to get lots of good tips from you for my vegan daughter. She comes for dinner once or twice a week, and I’ve been making vegan food (mostly soups and pastas) for all of us. I’m pretty much done with making two different meals…

1 Like

It is a Bakpia 肉餅;, not Hopia 好餅;
the former meaning meat pastry and the later bean pastry which as Presunto says was introduced by the Fujianese in the Philippines and used during October 10 for moon cake festival .
The Chinese family and friends would gather together during the festival, play a game of dice with around 36 small Hopias, then around 16 of the next larger size, and again 16 of the next bigger size until the largest size, jackpot is won which is about the size of a round pizza.

1 Like

You’re alive! Good to know.

1 Like

I’m not vegan but that soup looks damn good, might try it. And yes, after all of these years I finally realized exactly what you’re saying, so I quit (extremely recently). Missing a paycheck isn’t fun, but it’s a step in the right direction (the right direction being away from sad desk dinners)

3 Likes

Thanks :)) i hope you’re enjoying the vegan meals, I feel like it could either be a fun and creative challenge or frustrating situation… :joy: i have made this Lentil walnut taco meat so many times it’s embarrassing, although i use a packet of taco seasoning (just double check that’s vegan) instead of the dry spices. Great for taco salad, enchiladas, whatever.

Hope all is well with you!

2 Likes

Well all my friends and family are omni and they’ve hoovered the soup (i said I’ve been making it on repeat!) i don’t mention it’s vegan but obviously since I’m eating it too they can sort it out.

I’m glad you escaped the life sucking vortex of a job! You’ll find something better i am sure of it

2 Likes

Thanks! I have regular meatless days, but the best recipes are the ones where you don’t even think about it (or realize it) - that’s the proof right there.

1 Like