London, Amsterdam, Bruges, Brussels, Paris in September

Thank you! Lots to look at!

Have a good time! One beer to look out for is Cantillon. I learned about this brand from @Presunto.

3 Likes

I have been as well, but I finally went last week. Mostly everyone was good about masking - except the guy next to me who announced to his companions ā€œIā€™m goodā€ when the theater made the announcement that masks were required and could everyone put them on if they had not already.

So a few minutes later I coughedā€¦ and he immediately put his mask on. Any time he decided he didnā€™t need it on any more - I coughed again. Back it went on.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

@ninkat Here are some of the London Indian restaurants we were talking about.

Thanks @Saregama! I could eat Indian every day in London, but assuming I can only do one meal (or at least one where I am taking my hosts), would you choose Farzi Cafe or one of the Gunpowder locations (and which of the later)? I might be able to sneak the other in for a lunch while the hosts are working!

2 Likes

So, I fully understand that I havenā€™t been to London in a lot of years but, just for my curiosity, is Tayyab (Whitechapel area) still a thing? We had some great meals there long ago & I see its still open (& byob).

Iā€™d take a look at the menus and choose what sounds most delicious to you - hard to go wrong, really.

I havenā€™t eaten at Gunpowder but I have their cookbook. The Chutney Mary group places are probably a bit tired relative to newer places but the food used to be excellent. (And as I said the other day, my sib eats at Dishoom as many times as he can on business trips, though it isnā€™t fancy by London standards.)

Trishna may be an interesting choice - the preps are very indian but itā€™s retooled to be a Michelin place rather than a get-your-hands-dirty indian seafood place.

For your personal meals, thereā€™s regional variety in London you donā€™t find in the same way in NYC (the Bay Area has more if it nowadays). Gujarati, Maharashtrian, and so on.

Too bad Asma Khanā€™s place is shut down at the moment.

Havenā€™t been there

Thanks for all! I love Dishoom and will almost certainly get to one of them or so. Will take a serious look at the rest!

1 Like

Watching "In Bruges "!

5 Likes

Jordan Prentice, who plays Jimmy in In Bruges, is my age, and from my city. He went to the same school as most of my family friends.

3 Likes

Wow! Quite a movie. Well, I keep rewinding so Iā€™m not even 1/2 way through.

3 Likes

@ninkat I was chatting today with friends who have eaten in London more recently and they were very positive about Trishna, but also said itā€™s pretty hard to go wrong at that level for Indian in London no matter where you end up!

2 Likes

Iā€™m uncharacteristically vacillating! I think maybe ā€œfancyā€ isnā€™t what I am looking for, but rather that ā€œget your hands dirty Indian seafood placeā€ would be more up the alley of my London hosts. She, in particular, has a great love of seafood (fled Vietnam as a teenager to Brittany, and I am forever getting photos of their summer Brittany crab fests). So, do you think this would be Farzi Cafe, orā€¦? Thanks again!

1 Like

If she loves seafood, that was Trishnaā€™s claim to fame

Okay, booked! Will report back. Thanks so much.

1 Like

I just saw @pavlova 's post about "Tomato Party from Ottolenghi and remembered there are restaurants in London.

I see @Saregama mentioned it.

Which one will be closest/most convenient?

1 Like

Found it!

We are making choices for a Sunday roast in London, near Reubens ( Westminster?) next Sunday. I have shared suggestions from here with the group such as Rules and Grenadier from the Sunday roast thread. We recently saw a travel show that mentioned Roast. It was from 2016. Other than it being a ā€œtourist trapā€, any thoughts?

Also, is Sunday roast a ā€œlunchtimeā€ meal?

1 Like

Are you willing to walk say 20 minutes from Rubens? If so, you could consider Hawksmoor Air Street, though Iā€™d make reservations asap. Otherwise an The Ivy is nearby, but foodwise it will be a step below, though still fun and buzzing. Another good option is The Wolseley (20 min walk).

Iā€™m not British but I believe it is a lunchtime meal indeed, though you can just do as you please. Harters will know the origins of a Sunday roast well.

2 Likes