Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

Welcome, @Cacheton!!
Mister lived in KC for quite some time. We are now in SF Bay area and I always love to talk about bread and flours, and lots of other things….

Thanks for the backgrounder! Which are your favorite varieties of vade? Also what is the most unique (in your opinion, of course) street food from your hometown?

I was in Colombo and Kandy in January 2008 … the military presence in Colombo at that time was quite palpable. That was when I discovered pumpkins and beets were present in a bunch of dishes. Good times!

Then, I was in Colombo and Hikkaduwa in 2011; both places were bumpin’ (with other tourists)!

If any other famished onion is interested, I’m now writing under the name No Work All Travel at a travel-centric website called Boardingarea.com (although it’s U.S.-based, it certainly has an international bent).

The reason I mention this is because I happen to shove a lot more food-focused stories into the feed than a lot of the other folks. For example, today I did a run-down of some ceviche in Mexico, Peru, and Ecuador. I had to travel to get there, right? :wink:

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for topics, complaints, or just want to chat about food travel.

Thanks!

6 Likes

Nice post on the ceviche.

3 Likes

Thanks! But I will need to try more to get a more complete summary for fellow eaters…

Welcome!

I was looking to go back to KC (after 11 years) for a bbq feast. Still a fan of Arthur Bryant’s, but do you have any personal recommendations? What would be your one non-bbq place to go in the metro area?

Saludos!

I like the “ulundu vade” which is usually eaten with a special kind of sambal. Ulundu is Vigna mungo. This variety can be easily identified from its hole in the middle. In the low country it’s made from corn flour, and far from real vade. In the upcountry you can find the real one.
In 2008 the war was at its turning point, and in 2009 it was over after almost 30 years. Heavy presence of armed forces was due to that.
Today the war is not fought using weapons. Today it’s a battle for survival against the poor economy. Lol.

1 Like

I live in Baltimore and love genuine Szechuan food. Unfortunately, the only good chef has retired around here. I am a refugee from England in the 1970s when the food was dreadful.

9 Likes

Welcome @Flyingchef I hope you can find some folks on the MidAtlantic board who can point you to good Szechuan in your area. Or maybe find some on the cooking boards who can help you recreate the flavors at home.

I’ve heard that the pepper House in Ellicott City is good. I hope you and others will report what they find. That might be a good inquiry to send out

I had “Chinese” food in Southampton in the late 90s that still ranks at the top of worst meals Ive ever eaten. I was starving so it had to do.

Hello Everybody,

Nice to meet you. I have found your site after huge searches through online. Thanks for helping me for staying a long time with you.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard! Any questions or contributions are welcome!

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Hello! Finally officially joined after reading / following for quite some time. Currently residing in Los Angeles. I’ve especially loved the meal planning and what’s-for-dinner posts. :grinning:

15 Likes

Welcome!

2 Likes

Welcome Jennifer! Between the LA and WFD boards you should have plenty to read and participate in.

1 Like

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing what’s on your dinner table!

What’s WFD?

1 Like

What’s for Dinner. It’s a very popular monthly thread.

4 Likes