Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

Where all the cool kids hang out.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

I guess thatā€™s why Iā€™m never on that thread :frowning_with_open_mouth:

7 Likes

Aha! If itā€™s where the cool kids hang, itā€™s no wonder I didnā€™t know

4 Likes

Until recently I thought it meant ā€œWhat a Frigginā€™ Disasterā€.

Which, from time to time, describes my ā€œWhatā€™s For Dinnerā€ experimentsā€¦

Further this deponent sayeth not.

4 Likes

Eeek . . . weā€™re under oath here?

3 Likes

Iā€™m the least cool person youā€™ll ever meet. :disguised_face:

Weā€™re ordinary folks who like to cook, sometimes turning out extraordinary meals for ourselves and family/friends.

And then thereā€™s those days I just eat cheddar Goldfish crackers or have a bowl of Raisin Bran Crunch cereal. I usually donā€™t post those meals. :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Iā€™m never on it either but I enjoy reading and seeing others accomplishments which are far beyond mine. It provides inspiration.
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah I tried it for a while, but discovered Iā€™m actually a pretty boring cook.

5 Likes

Iā€™m not a cool person, but I play one on television.*

*Not really. But I am a WFD frequent flyer.

6 Likes

If I throw in my tuppence here, I read most of these threads to take a look at what Iā€™ve been missing in life :rofl:
But Iā€™ll make some of those stuff someday, when I can afford cheese and those sauces etc. :rofl:
Anyway I will post some photos of Naga peppers today.

8 Likes

I have been here a while but I just found this thread. Let me try this.

1. New York, New Yorkā€¦the town so nice, they named it twice. Specifically, Manhattan.
  2. Experiencing culture through food. I love to travel, and I find food an easy way to connect to local culture.
  3. There are too many to count to be honest. However, I think some of the meals I remember most fondly have been those that I have been able to share with my parents, especially in Paris. Both my folks loved Chez Denise, Bistrot Paul Bert, Dauphin, and Josephine Chez Dumonet. That and this place in Rome that my friends and I went to twice, and basically sat there and drank with the owners two nights in a row. Sadly, I do not think it survived COVID.
  4. I have a dog, Harvey, who hates when I travel. I have a house sitter that he loves, but he still hates me being gone.
14 Likes

Oops, more self-promoting.

However, as a result of getting invited to celebrate the first iftar (breaking the fast) in Riyadh last week, I get to introduce to the Hungry Onion community a number of Middle Eastern desserts (wherein some are common only during Ramadan)-- check it out on YouTube.

Please enjoy, and mind the purple lighting.

J

2 Likes

Given your profile photo, whereā€™s your favorite place to grab a local bite in Philly?

Hello again! Son and daughter in law are on their way from Turkey! The lighting reminds me of their wedding reception.

1 Like

Hello there! I was a Chowhound many years ago and spent lots of time on the forums (probably most active during the mid-aughts), but drifted away when changes started and have missed it ever since. Iā€™m so glad to have found this spot to re-engage on all kinds of food-related topics.

1. Iā€™m located in the Seattle, WA metro area.
  2. I donā€™t know that Iā€™m answering this question exactly, but I have a deep love of threads that go on and on and on (I have fond memories of a number of ā€œwhat are you snacking on right now?ā€ CH threads as well as the weekly meal planning ones) and threads that go deep on ideas or discussion on a very specific, sometimes just-slightly-out-of-the-ordinary ingredient (ā€œwhatā€™s your favorite way to eat tinned sardines?ā€ ā€œHow should I use up a tube of liverwurst?ā€). I also love talking about leftovers/kitchen scraps and creative ways to use or repurpose them.
  3. The first time I ate the cumin lamb hand pulled noodles from Xiā€™an Famous Foods in NYC was incredible. Iā€™d never had a combination of flavors and textures like that before and I fell hard for those noodles.
  4. I have two small, lovably annoying senior dogs who are spoiled as dogs should be. One of them, my mini poodle mix, loves human food so she sits next to me while I snack and rests her paws or sometimes her chin very delicately on my lap waiting for me to drop something.
17 Likes

Welcome, calmossimo!

Iā€™m a fan of those Xian noodles, too ā€¦ the sound the dough makes when ā€œthwackingā€ the counter in front of the chef even has its very own Chinese character: https://www.chinasimplified.com/2014/02/28/biang/.

3 Likes

Thank you! Yes, that sound is quite satisfying. I went down a rabbit hole at the start of lockdown and learned how to make the noodles at home (surprisingly simple! Just lots of waiting time required) and have made them a bunch since. I havenā€™t tried making cumin lamb yet since I never buy lamb - but I was serving the noodles with hot fresh chili oil and other proteins.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forums. Iā€™m from a rather unknown island in the Indian Ocean but I am enjoying it here. You will surely find a lot of things to read and comment on in here.

2 Likes

Thank you! Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be spending lots of time on these forums!

Welcome to HO @calmossimo ! Glad you found us. Sounds like youā€™ll find lots to peruse on the boards here: monthly and weekly cooking threads, ingredients and memories . . . even discussions of our spoiled pets (Our Pets and Their Gourmet Palates - #5 by gaffk Enjoy!

4 Likes