Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

No, they don’t. Don’t know where this little tidbit came from.

2 Likes

No not PNWers, but a lot of other people do.

I’ve never heard it, in 15 yrs of living in WA state. Then again, I’m in a college town :slight_smile:

They also say Warshington DC.

Oh man. There’s nothing like a long word (or long name) that makes people want to add even another letter to it. I get that with my long name all the time.

OK. I’m going to settle this. Born and bred Washingtonion 63+ years.

We only call it “Warshington” when we’re being scarcastic, and then mostly in reference to all the “outta-state furrenurs” who keep moving here.

ETA: No offense to anyone who moved here legitimately. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was a “furrenurs” for 5 years. Tri-Cities.

Some beautiful country in the tri-cities area, as there is all over the state.

Yes, as long as it’s not radioactive.

3 Likes

Greetings from Ottawa Canada!

I’m a long-time poster from Chowhound, as Souschef. That choice of handle was unfortunate as it got me grief from a couple of hounds for a negative review of their favorite restaurant, so it was time for a change. My first name (Bernard) and foodie tendencies morphed into “BarneyGrubble”

I’m passionate about all food, except for the spicy hot stuff, which my digestive system cannot tolerate. I’m a keen cook and baker, and do a decent job of both. My 9-year-old great niece recently asked me, “Are you always thinking about food?”

My food memories are many, but one really stands out: I’m a retired electrical engineer, and way back when, when hospitals had real kitchens, I worked at a university hospital where every Friday morning the cafeteria had Chelsea Buns, spanking fresh from the oven, and they were superb! I looked forward to Fridays……

Tidbit about myself: I’m a music lover and hifi enthusiast. I love western classical music, Brazilian jazz, and female vocals, especially in Spanish and Portuguese, even though I speak neither language, despite my last name being Portuguese. Here’s a piece of music I love. Note the gorgeous (mezzo-soprano?) voice of the woman who starts singing 55 seconds into the song. https://youtu.be/pq1wUZQqgSc

It great to have passions!

15 Likes

@BarneyGrubble Welcome! It’s nice to see another Ottawan on hungryonion. Too bad you got grief from a negative review of a favourite restaurant. I love hearing all opinions about restaurants good or bad. We all have different tastes.

1 Like

Welcome!
We’ve got a couple of music threads-
Favorite food tunes, and What at are you listening to?

Nice to meet you and thank you for the " music-to-read-Hungry-Onion-by!

Thanks for the words of welcome!

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Just in case some folks wanted to see me embarrass myself in the name of conspicuous food consumption, I’ve got a bunch of YouTube videos up now: https://youtube.com/@findingfoodfluency.

Moderators, feel free to destroy this post if it violates the Hungry Onion omertà.

2 Likes

DSC08634

Those are some of the most delicious things I’ve ever eaten .(fortunately, it’s a long list.) Might you know the name of them? I had them at Galle Face Park.

Thanks!

What’s your take on Jersey bar pies?

I worked at a wine store when i was at Univ of Maryland back in the day. There was a regular customer who came in two or three times a week and one day he asked me how i ended up leaving Montana and ending up in Maryland. I did not think I had an accent so i gave him a bit of a look and he apologized and said that he sometimes mistook accents from parts of Southern Saskatchewan for the Hi Line of Montana.
I grew up on the Hi Line of Montana, 50’some miles from the border of Saskatchewan.
It is amazing what an expert can hear.
But i do not think i sound like a Canadian! LOL!
Even if CKCK was our “local” radio station.

6 Likes

In Barcelona years ago, I took a taxi from the airport to my hotel. I gave him the name and address of my hotel, and he told me I was taught Spanish by a Cuban but I am around a lot of folks from Puerto Rico.

I was dumbfounded that a) I had an identifiable accent at all (but kinda proud of it) and b) that he could hear that much in just one short sentence.

He nailed it, by the way…my uni professor had left Havana in the 60s and I was traveling to PR regularly for work.

Craziest accent pinpointing Ive ever seen.

6 Likes

I had a similar experience in Valencia many moons ago when I visited a HS friend who was there to learn Spanish (she never left). My Spanish was rudimentary (2 years in HS), but I can fake proper accents like a pro. The cabbie asked I was on vacation from Madrid. Made a 21 yr old super proud at the time :slight_smile:

6 Likes