Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

We knew only one person distinctly associated with the pronunciation, and he was a native. Exception demonstrating rule?

I think rather just an extreme rarity - perhaps he/she had a parent from Pennsylvania or something like that? A friend from NJ (that lives here for decades) referred to her late granny as a warsher woman from Ireland. But can’t recall her pronunciation of the state, quite likely inserted the R.

I’ve heard people from Washington state pronounce it like that. Inserting an r is common in many places.
And speaking of Ireland, many people there drop the “th” diphthong and refer to Charles the tird.
And here, from Baltimore, https://brobible.com/sports/article/maryland-football-players-baltimore-accent-aaron-earned-iron-urn-video/

2 Likes

The sales rep for Union Fork & Hoe was from Boston. Full on Southie.

Accent reduction training became necessary (but it sure was funny til he lost the accent!)

3 Likes

Oh that is funny :joy_cat::smiley_cat:

1 Like

Welcome!

Will be keen to hear from you more about the food where you are.

1 Like

About as bland as can be.
Main starch is cornflour (mielie pap, sadza, nshima all names for the same thing).
With some form of gravy.
Main spice is salt.
Needless to say: I’m not a fan.
And in restaurants: the question is: would you like chips or salad with your steak. Never understood that one. I want both!
I eat mainly what’s in season and what’s in my garden. Emphasis on SE Asian, but also Indian, anything of the BBQ (braai) and whatever else.

3 Likes

So "third* sounds like “turd” ?
I’ve heard some people pronounce words without the “th”.

1 Like

In Ireland or parts thereof.

What’s the question?

Response to LastManStanding’s "So "third* sounds like “turd” ?

I first heard the joke years ago when I was in Ireland

3 Likes

This particular iteration of Discourse is irritating a bit because if you are replying to the person directly ahead of you, there is no apparent thread linkage, and upon review of such reply one is not sure whether a person is responding to the original poster, or to the person proximate.

This is configurable and some of the other communities I deal with have set it so that proximate replies still show the linkage. Which is very helpful, IMHO.

2 Likes

CCE. I suppose I could have helped by identifying the person whom I was answering and , better, repeat the question. That would have a fairly high PITA factor, but I can try.

2 Likes

Oh, no John - not a problem or complaint with you! Not at all. Instead, my grump is about this version of Discourse. There are some tweaks available that make such misunderstandings as what @bbqboy experienced avoidable. But again, not your fault at all. Just the system/Matrix. LoL.

Doesn’t this make it clear who you are responding to?

3 Likes

Or just this?

No need. All you have to do is copy a portion of the post to which you’re responding to, and press the Quote link that pops up. That helps identify to whom you’re responding.

2 Likes

This is what I do. Or I usually type @ and username, although it doesn’t show the exact quote it still helps.

3 Likes

Thanks!

You can also click on the small icon in the top right of the post that you’re wondering about…it will take you to the post to which it’s replying

3 Likes