Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

@bbqboy Fun reading these articles, thanks for posting. I agree we all have accents—at the very least, one year of living in England proved to me I sound American. Now I’m trying to figure out if all the folks around me are heavy on their “r”s.

2 Likes

@redwood2bay welcome to the clan. If you would like to see a “no accent at all” guy, here I am.

1 Like

Let’s each of us say something and post it here. Then everyone gets to analyse the accent. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This has been a fairly enjoyable series from Wired.

Welcome @redwood2bay!

6 Likes

Thank you for posting. I am fascinated with accents, and this was great!

2 Likes

This is absolutely fascinating how he slips in and out of various accents at will. Thanks for posting!

1 Like

And I realize now that Matthew McConaughey speaks with “full price smoothing” by smooth the dipthong such as in Fly, Rise, and Ride.

3 Likes

LOL, @LastManStanding. Thanks.

@CCE This was a great way to spend my lunch hour. Thanks for posting!

3 Likes

Welcome! If you pull it up on youtube you should be able to find links to further episodes.

@CCE Thanks. I watched the first two but will have to wait for the third (which covers CA) later. The accents I heard growing up were a combination of what he describes as Cajun and Southeastern LA accents. Really fascinating that linguists not only can distinguish all these sounds but also have words and phrases to identify them.

4 Likes

I used this one when I was teaching…it still fascinates me

3 Likes

Far too many replies to remember the introduction questions
But I’ll try
Living in the hot Zambezi Valley (Southern Africa but not South Africa)
Favourite food: SE Asian
Can’t remember the rest, but enjoy eating, drinking, travelling, cooking, talking nonsense and reading.
And fishing, bbq, brewing beer and tasting the end product

12 Likes

You had me at “brewing beer”!

:smiley:

Welcome!

BBQboy – just noticed this. It was ironic – the sort of thing people say to Southerners all the time. Californians actually have a lot of accents, more than most states, largely because of the large number of populous language groups there and the wide range in topography.

1 Like

And everybody knows that the state where Seattle is located is pronounced “Warshington”.

5 Likes

So this is my 3rd profile as it’s the only way for me to get onto the site
Administration please merge them
Ragtops7, Ragtopsstops 7 & I forgot the 3rd

And a lot of people pronounce Washington DC as #€%!?&. The group changes every 4 or 8 years.

3 Likes

Interesting. Joke or true? I grew up in an area of the Midwest where we said we were going to “warsh our clothes” or “warsh our cars”.

Do people in PNW truly say “Warshington” for the state?

1 Like

NO! Absolutely not, I’ve been living here 31 years and don’t hear it from natives or long timers. People from other parts of the country may do however.

3 Likes