Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

If you do get to Phoenix, be sure to hit up Little Miss BBQ, in Tempe, fairly close to Sky Harbor Airport. Really good, but get there by about 10:30 to avoid long lines and to score brisket, if you like it.

1 Like

When I met my now ex, she was living in the Valley of Scorched Earth. She invited me down just about this time of year. It was a test- I still remember the blast furnace upon the plane door opening.
I stayed.
:slight_smile:
After 4 years we were both sick of the heat and people and thatā€™s how the Oregon life happened.

2 Likes

I could never live in the desert again year round, but I love to visit in the winter. Still, my eyes become fatigued looking at all the brown and gray tones, if I stay longer than about 3-4 weeks. Always happy to get back to the green zone around here. Four years for you though - impressive! :cactus::sunglasses::cactus:

3 Likes

Hi Dean,

Very interested in your multicultural interests in Asian cuisine,. Iā€™m especially interested in Japanese-American fusion in kitchen knives.

Ray

1 Like

Hi. I was raised on German knives and so I am not a good source on Japanese style knives. I have one Sanktou knife from Mercer and I like it.

2 Likes

Hi Dean,

Kai Shun developed and marketed a series of knives with American designers that are intended to be a fusion of American and Japanese thinking about kitchen knives for the home cook. I had already been using a Kai Japanese nakiri I had been given in Japan for more than 20 years, so I began trying and using various models of Shunā€“some marketed only in the United States.

Most recent was a birthday present 8 1/2" Shun Fuji Chefā€™s knife:

I like it very much.

4 Likes

Very pretty knife. The edge profile is obviously a fair bit different from usual US-type chefā€™s knives - did it take a while to get used to the motion or was it more or less intuitive quickly after you started using it?

Hi CCE,

Very intuitive for me. Iā€™m really enjoying it.

1 Like

Welcome

Welcome to the forum, Dean

Hi to everyone. Iā€™m new to the forum.

Here is my reply

1. Edingurgh
  2. Home cooking and eating while traveling
  3. My best buddy makes the most delicious Chocolate cake.
  4. I would rather eat than cook. But I have to cook properly because I enjoy eating delicious cuisine.
14 Likes

Welcome @jofer!

Welcome!

Welcome!

What does your friend do to make their cake extra special?

@Jofer Welcome to our Community !

1 Like

I signed up here recently, never properly introduced myself. Iā€™ve been lurking here for a bit, been helpful with getting tips for places to go, particularly in Monmouth County.

1. Iā€™m in Freehold- born in Brooklyn, grew up in Howell, but in Freehold for over 28 years.

2. What food-related topic are you most passionate about, that you want people to ask you about and you canā€™t stop talking about it?

Iā€™m a huge pizza buff, Iā€™ve eaten at most of the ā€œlegendaryā€ places (including in Italy) and Iā€™ve written published reviews. I consider myself a bit of a pizza snob, but I donā€™t act that way externally. I just know what I like and what I consider to be ā€œgreatā€. It is interesting to hear what other people think and like, and Iā€™m happy pizza has been enjoying an upward trajectory in terms of quality and selection, particularly in NJ.

1. Whatā€™s a great food experience you have had?

Iā€™ve had many! Was honored to dine at Lutece and meet Andre Soltner before he retired, one of my most memorable meals! A sunset dinner at Mamaā€™s Fish House in Maui rates high, as does eating at one of Marco Pierre Whiteā€™s restaurants in the 90ā€™s. My wife and I honeymooned in Hawaii, and a meal at La Mer in the Halekulani Hotel was amazing!

Perhaps my most memorable experience is Le Petit Bedon in Paris. This was a ā€œconsolationā€ for us as we were unable to get a seat at Alain Ducasse. This was around 1998, and it was our first time in Europe (we were married in 1994). The reservation was made on a recommendation from some locals, it was a place that those in the know would enjoy. Long story less long, we somehow lost our passports (we found them eventually, a very interesting story on its own), and we were very upset. The restaurant went out of their way to make us comfortable, and the meal was fantastic. Shattered every generalization about French people being obnoxious, unfriendly, or rude - this was an incredible experience I will remember forever. Unfortunately, the restaurant is gone now, Iā€™ve found some references to it online.

1. A little tidbit about you.

I could write a book, there are many tidbits lol. Iā€™m a marketing executive in the tech industry, have 2 grown daughters, Iā€™m a foodie, a musician, a former competitive bodybuilder and Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioner, I love tattoos (Iā€™ve even done them on myself), and embrace life! Iā€™ll travel just for food, every business trip I take I make a point to find the recommended places to go eat!

13 Likes

@rdefabri
When you are ready to share, Iā€™d be interested in hearing about that adventure.

Welcome to our Community !

1 Like

Welcome. Envious you got to Lutece! :smiley:

1 Like

I consider myself very lucky to have gone! We knew he was retiring so we made a point to go, and Iā€™m forever thankful we did!

2 Likes

Welcome

1 Like