Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

I have to say I agree with sentiment, if not the words.

I’m finding all the copy-paste posts here extremely cluttering, frustrating to navigate, and confusing to the format and flow of this site.

What’s the point of seeing a new post only to realize it’s a dump from years ago.

I don’t see the point in cluttering this site when we have so many new users trying to feel their way around and get comfortable, and existing users trying not to feel sidelined and run roughshod while that happens.

Many if not most CH posts have been archived via the wayback machine. Other than nostalgia or personal record, I don’t see the need to create a duplicate archive here — people should copy-paste for their own personal record in their own personal space.

12 Likes

I’ve spent some time the past few days trying to archive via the wayback machine as well - it was comforting to see how many threads had already been archived and how few were “first archives…”

1 Like

In retrospect, I think this is a point well taken. I have spent some hours archiving as well as saving some things that could and be cut and pasted later if it is relevant to a discussion over time. Its more problematic for people involved in live discussions, I guess than with my ancient history. Hopefully these live discussions have been waybacked and links can be provided here if needed for continuity.

3 Likes

I introduced myself when I joined HO in October 2015 but didn’t participate besides an occasional read. My info is pretty much the same as in 2015:

DC area for 30 years, originally from CA and spend part of the time in the LA area/South Bay
Mostly enjoy home cooking and vegetable gardening topics but open to others/have plenty of opinions
Work in IT, have more hobbies than I can handle - singing, knitting, cycling, etc.

Look forward to participating and happy that so many home cooking former CH’ers are here!

14 Likes

Small world. I lived and worked in Lee County, in Pennington Gap for 5 years when I first got out of school. Rural appalachia is surely God’s country.

2 Likes

Great. I hope the new DC mid-Atlantic board will be helpful and benefit from your contributions.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Lee County when I worked VDOT you went through TN to get to Jonesville.

I worked in Pennington Gap, but lived in Janesville…specifically on Wallen’s Creek, which is on the road to Blackwater. Kinda miss those days too…had a great garden, and access to THE best moonshine. Not a lot to do there on weekends though, except to go up to Hilton’s to the Carter Fold.

1 Like

I’m NJChica (aka NJChicaa) and I live at the Jersey Shore. We have great pizza, Italian-American, hot dogs, and seafood. Most people around here are obsessed with pork roll too though I am not.

I don’t really know what I’d say I’m passionate about. My cookbook collection is modest compared to others but it checks in at almost 100. I like adding to that and trying new recipes each week.

The best food experience I’ve had is spending a week in Vegas and eating like kings. I used CH to plan our meals and it was amazing. My 2nd best was fishing in Cozumel. My uncle caught an 80 pound mahi mahi and the captain made ceviche for us right there on the boat for lunch. I had never had it before and have been obsessed with it ever since. I eat it every chance I can when I’m in CZM and also pretty much every where else. The shrimp ceviche at the Money Bar is the best I’ve ever had.

There isn’t much particularly interesting about me. I’m a crazy cat lady. I have 3 at the moment (only supposed to have 2) but would probably have more if I lived in a house.

17 Likes

I think that makes you very interesting.
I love cats always have.
Very independent and sometimes more entertaining to watch than TV.
Very different from owning dogs.
Having a bad day?
Enter and exit the house a few times you will be greeted with a wagging tale everytime.
It is a great way to “reset” my mood.
Thank you for the Carmine’s cookbook recommendation. My boys get excited when that cookbook comes off the shelf.

1 Like

It is one of my absolute favorite cookbooks. People pay me to make the Carmine’s salad and lasagna for them. My parents and I actually went to the Carmine’s at the Tropicana in Atlantic City 2 weeks ago for my birthday dinner.

The pasta pomodoro, penne al vodka, manicotti, and chicken saltimbocca are in regular rotation around here.

2 Likes

:balloon: Happy Belated Birthday :balloon:
I’m glad that you did something that you absolutely love to celebrate the occaision !

3 Likes

I wandered in years ago from CH & didn’t manage to make friends with the UI. My bad. :slight_smile: Back again on the recommendation of a friend who is a regular.

1. Lincoln, NE for neat a decade now but a NNE gal for the vast majority of my life. I still badly miss being an hour give or take from the ocean & mountains.

2. I love really good ingredients & kitchen gear. Ingredients: my pecking order is local, organic, respected national frozen / canned brands. It doesn’t take a lot of skill or complexity if your ingredients are amazing in & of themselves.

3. Homemade pizza cooked & served in the field at a sheep farm just up the road from us in East Craftsbury VT. We lived there for about 18 months & it was an idyllic time for getting great local food.

4. I can’t stand for people to feel excluded because of dietary restrictions. I learned to bake good G/F deserts because of a teen that was being served purchased garbage at a weekly function. Several of the attendees don’t even realize they are G/F & I get requests for them because they are just plain good. More recently I’m working on my vegan repertoire for the same reason.

20 Likes

Welcome !
Glad that you are here and decided to give HO island another try.
Enjoy your stay :desert_island:

1 Like

Besides me, @CurlzNJ and @heidicooksandbakes live “at the beach” and there are several others who are in Monmouth county. Were abouts are you? I’m in Manasquan. The NJ boards are some of the more active ones on HO and speaking on behalf of the group, we’d love to have you join us.

Totally agree with your description of the shore food scene. I’ve been here a number of years and it so much better than when we first moved down here - a bit of good Mexican now - but we still need a few more options, especially Asian.

3 Likes

Echoing @MsBean - hi! I’m laughing reading about your experience fishing… The only time I’ve ever been fishing was off of Key Largo, where we could see the mahi-mahi in the water! They practically jumped into the boat, and I still say the fish that we ate that night and in subsequent days was the best I’ve ever had. Would love to hear where you are in NJ and hopefully get you to join us for a meal at some point! We have a fun crew on the NJ board.

3 Likes

I’m not sure I even know where to begin with this…

1. Where are you?

Where are any of us, really? Geographically, I am about 10 miles west of Boston, Massachusetts.

1. What food-related topic are you most passionate about, that you want people to ask you about and you can’t stop talking about it?

Just ask me about food. I will talk to you.
I spent the pandemic doing a deepish dive on recipes/books by Rick Bayless, Maunika Gowardhan, and the Joe Beef guys. Lately, I am dipping my big toe into Malaysian recipes.

3.What’s a great food experience you have had?

My grandmother’s pierogi. My mother’s stroganoff.
But, if you want a great food experience (not necessarily about the food), I am happy to tell you the story about the first (and last) time I brought my long time BF/partner to Aujoud’hui here in Boston.

4.A little tidbit about you
I once authored a drinking game about Sandra Lee’s Semi Homemade. If you played it right, you’d be blind by the end.

10 Likes

Welcome back, @AudreyFromNE - great to see you here on HO as well!

5 Likes

:::waving::: Hi neighbor! I’m about 20 minutes directly north of Boston.

And I LOL’d about your response to Question 4. :rofl:

2 Likes