Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

:slight_smile: I donā€™t mind smoked meat , I like smoked fish. If you ever visit Ontario, Canada, smoked whitefish is a local specialty.

For whatever reason, I donā€™t enjoy smoked chicken, smoked turkey or smoked cheeses.

Whereas I love Fried Chicken, Country Captain, chicken & dumplings and other Southern chicken dishes that arenā€™t BBQed or smoked! :slight_smile:

Tons of amazing food in the South!

3 Likes

I am in the mountains of southwest Virginia in a rural ag community called Burkeā€™s Garden, Virginia. I own two farms and work a full time job (no work from home and never missed a day during the pandemic). One farm is 400 acres and the other is 154. We are a 250 head cow/calf plus contracted steers. We farm each of our family farms. We are the 5th generation to do so. I love to cook and to read about food and trips. I live vicariously through reading other peopleā€™s restaurant experience and travel. I guess the best food experience I had was at Citronelle in Washington DC back in 2003.

5 Likes

A full-time job and two farms and you still have the time and energy to read and coo? Iā€™m exhausted just thinking about it.

5 Likes

Sundays is my ā€œday offā€ usually which means housework and laundry are done. Sundays is for cooking Sunday lunch for us and my father in law and then anything I want to have during the week. I meal plan so I participate in the Weekly Meal Planning thread. I am diabetic so I cook to control sugar and salt. Also we are very rural meaning unless I want fast food every night, I am the only game in town!

5 Likes

We used to have a hole in the wall BBQ place called The Bearded Moose that did smoked chicken salad. It was awesome. Sadly they closed.

I am a voracious reader. Always have been. My mother read to us and we went to the library every Sunday. The best gift I give myself is a Kindle Unlimited subscription every year. Right now I am reading a biography of Group Captain Peter Townsend.
Usually when I take the week of Thanksgiving off, I spend my time reading and sleeping. LOL In fact, I PLAN for that. I spend my Sunday afternoons in the summer sitting on my front porch enjoying the breeze, listening to the birds and reading or napping.

9 Likes

I feel like Iā€™m filling out a dating profile !
:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

Iā€™m married with two boys also someone who loves to cook and started baking first then cooking in my early teens.
I was first drawn to Italian and Mexican dishes because those were cuisines that
my mother did not cook from.
I played clarinet in Junior High also in Highschool and now have taken up learning to play the guitar.
I want to ramp up my baking skills and that is one of my reasons for joining HO.
Things that I enjoy: reading, Yoga,
Qigong, walking in nature or by the water.
I find it rewarding to see full smiling faces after a long afternoon cooking in the kitchen.
My most memorable eat out meal was Wienerschnitzel and Sachertorte in Vienna.
My most fond memory of an at home meal is a tied between my Motherā€™s Boeuf Bourguignon, Wienerschnitzel and her Lamb Stew.
A tidbit about myself, I found out that I rather enjoy Blue Collar tea time to time.

14 Likes
  • D.C. by way of Philly
  • I canā€™t choose a favorite among the children!
  • Dinner with my then future hubby overlooking the water in Panama. The chef owner told us what he caught that morning and then prepared it for us.
  • At a mere 5 ft. tall, I AM a little tidbit
11 Likes

Welcome!

2 Likes

I played the clarinet too!

2 Likes

Me too!

2 Likes

@seal Congratulations! Honoured that we have an author amongst us.

2 Likes

Tyvm @Olunia and glad to know you. To my way of thinking, we are all authors here.

2 Likes

@seal Thatā€™s very true by some of the write ups that Iā€™ve been busy reading here.
One could even say photographers, pastry decorators and food stylists. There are some very talented people here on HO glad to be a part of it.

6 Likes

We have several authors and writers among us! (Not me)

Thatā€™s terrific.
Iā€™m still working my way through this thread.
Maybe they could introduce themselves?

1 Like

Thanks!

Another DC member! Woo hoo!

1 Like

@Olunia:
@Harters is one, he is an historian and published several books.
@klyeoh too, his writing is included in Malaysian or Singaporean food book.

4 Likes

Another DC member who learned of this group from your fabulous blog!

4 Likes