Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

We will swap recs for our weekend visits! We are actually going down on Sat to grab the kid for his spring break. We moved up here for a WWU job… from Los Angeles. Slightly different pace of life! But that was 15 years ago.

3 Likes

I used to live in Houston before 1989. I still miss it.

3 Likes
  1. Bowling Green, KY
  2. I love cookware and knives! I was a member of the cookware forum on Chowhound. I lurked and read, mainly. Oh! and I am an avid Corningware collector. I have nearly every P series Blue Cornflower piece.
  3. The homemade barbecue chicken pizza my husband and I made last night. It was phenomenal.
  4. I have seen every single episode of That 70’s Show 3 times.
12 Likes

Welcome @Silvblu1 . I stopped at the Smokey Pig in Bowling Green on a weeklong trip from Pittsburgh to Gatlinburg to Nashville and back to Pittsburgh, between 2 back-to-back family weddings on Victoria Day weekend and Memorial Day weekend about 8 years ago. It stands out as a meal that I enjoyed, where I hadn’t done any research. Other than Smokey Pig in Bowling Green, I haven’t had that much BBQ, just Hill Country in DC , a few places in NC , SC, and NYC, and a few places in Canada that try their best to replicate various regional styles. It was the BBQ I’ve enjoyed most, in terms of being to my liking, so far. Also my first time to enjoy Derby Pie. The menu looks the same :slight_smile: http://smokeypigbbq.com/pages/menu_1.html

4 Likes

Yes! Smokey Pig has great barbeque! They also have the best vinegar slaw. It’s the vinegar slaw I measure all others by. I’m glad you enjoyed your meal there. :grin:

4 Likes

An excellent resource for good barbecue is the Campaign for Real Barbecue, http://www.truecue.org. There are lists at the True 'Cue USA link of places that cook traditional barbecue – with wood only, no gas or electrical heat. You also might be interested in my blog, John tanners bbq blog, which has reviews of a whole lot of places – and there’s a pretty recent post about barbecue places in the DC area.

4 Likes

Hi, I go by chienrouge. Long ago I posted and read chowhounds and was reminded from the NY Times article. I live in LA. I have kids now so my budget and drinking abilities are diminished. But i still like intel on the latest taco spots, bbq places and sushi from time to time. I do more cooking now than before too so surely some stuff to learn. I put mango in my banana bread yesterday! Cheers to everyone!

15 Likes

Welcome @chienrouge !I believe there are several folks from the LA area that are active here.

2 Likes

I’m not from Louisiana. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We go for winter sun , so have always stayed in the south. Food is much more touristy but we eat well for three weeks.

2 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate there is a lot to BBQ! I have to confess, the reason I haven’t tried a lot of American BBQ is that I don’t eat a lot of meat, and I’m usually focused on seafood and fried chicken!

3 Likes

Wait??? Prima? Lol

3 Likes

Lol. Continuity lol.

3 Likes

Hello from a new member of Hungry Onion. I migrated here from Chowhound (along with quite a few others!) where I participated mostly in the Weekly Menu Planning forum and occasionally posted photos of my dinner in the What’s For Dinner forum.

So as a means of introduction, I am from Ottawa Canada.

The food topic I am most passionate about is pasta, not because I am an expert in the field, but because it’s my favourite food group.

A great food experience I’ve had recently was discovering a new Italian restaurant in Ottawa.

A tidbit about me is that I enjoy visiting museums and going to the movies.

I look forward to meeting many of you while discovering this site.

19 Likes

Welcome @ottawaoperadiva :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks Phoenikia! Since you have the name prima on your profile, were you active on the Ontario board on Chowhound? I’m just asking because your name sounds familiar :wink: I don’t think I’ve ever posted on that board but I lurked there a lot since I used to visit Toronto once a year until the pandemic hit. I really miss my trips to TO but I’m not ready to travel yet.

1 Like

Yep, that’s me :slight_smile:
I can understand that. I haven’t been to Ottawa or Montreal, since before the Pandemic. Happy to see you here. You’ve given me good tips for Ottawa over the years.

1 Like

Whaaaa! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Yeah I’m not sure what to believe anymore! One day some jerk puts fake nose, glasses and mustache on their avi, next thing you know people you’ve known for 10+ years are using aliases. Or are they???

https://www.google.com/search?q=surprised+hamster+meme&client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&prmd=ivsn&sxsrf=APq-WBuKANbyni64UP23XXNsszFew01MmA:1647560750396&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj5s5eKqs72AhUdl4kEHcJuA8kQ_AUoAnoECAIQAg&biw=414&bih=715&dpr=2#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:78de0c25,vid:y8Kyi0WNg40,st:0

5 Likes

You’ll be interested in the smoked chicken. My favorite places are B’s in Greenville, NC, Archibald’s in Tuscaloosa, and Miss Myra’s in Birmingham, AL. And there a few places that serve “turkey barbecue” - not standard smoked turkey, but cooked in the Eastern NC barbecue style.

1 Like