Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

I once looked forward to moving to DC from the west coast, but sadly didn’t happen. Yes, GA North America, though our Danish-American DIL could still take our son and grandson off to Denmark someday. It’s discussed now and then.

So much should go into deciding where to retire. Eye rolling here because my big requirement then was that if we moved to the GA coast it not be on a waterway where alligators might be wreaking my garden and otherwise alarming me. Now, our winter patio is literally 25 feet from the alligator habitat that surrounds us on two sides – chosen for that, but! So many wonderful possibilities, and sure, always happy to chat.

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome, Winecountrygirl. Glad to have joined this community.

You’ve got two great places there. In north Georgia, once things open up you’ll find lots of places with great food at very low prices. I’ve never spent time in Inverness, but Florida lgenerally is a great source for fruits and vegetables at farm stands. And local seafood.

Good weather, good food, and family. What more could you want

3 Likes

@GeorgiaPlum - please let me add my warm welcome to others who’ve already done so. Keep in mind, we’re all here to help, should you need any, or advice about all things, cooking or gardening, most especially. But it goes on and on from there.

BTW, where in the PNW were you thinking about retirement previous to following your son to Georgia? Am asking, only because I’m up here, an hour south of Seattle, and a bridge away from Tacoma.

How nice, Lambchop. Long ago, family was from the Seattle area and a commercial fisherman uncle was up toward Anacortes somewhere, and I lived there a while as a child. We had some close friends we visited now and then near Squim, so all in all we were looking north of you, an extravagance of great possibilities wherever we’d gone, though.

1 Like

Thanks @GeorgiaPlum! Sequim is a very popular retirement destination; being in a rain shadow, they get less rain, and more sun than we do.
Florida and Georgia sound nice to me, and I hope you have many happy times there, as well as here on HO.

Having grown up in the humid and hot Midwest, I’m not sure I could handle 100 degrees and 99% humidity these days.
I’m spoiled.
:slight_smile:

Yep, I think you have the best of both worlds, and even get to live in your own country!

I know what you mean about high heat and humidity; I’ve been in Hawaii in August when the trades stop blowing. 97 degrees with equally high humidity, as well South Carolina and NOLA, other places in the South under those conditions. Not sure I could handle it either…

1 Like

I’m in west central Florida…this time of year, 95-degree days and 90% humidity are simply the way it is.

You learn…work in the mornings and evenings when its only in the 80s…and hydrate.

We see it as the opposite of northern climes…this is our winter, when it’s hard to be outside. I’m headed our shortly to till my raised bed…we start planting in October when the rest of you are closing your gardens for your winter.

It’s a good trade. When most of you are shoveling snow and battling blizzards, I have to wear Jean’s.

6 Likes

Don’t get me wrong @Sunshine842, I like some heat, and suppose I could adapt to heat and humidity over time. Or, I may need to flee to somewhere cooler in the summer. Choosing to live in PNW, our plan has always been to travel to warm places in the winter, and summer too, if necessary! This I can tell you for sure - I couldn’t live in the dessert any time of year, but I’m good for a couple weeks. I need year around green and lots of water.

1 Like

Welcome, sunshine842! One thing about your location — lots of water nearby. And lots of great seafood! I look forward to your recommendations!

Thanks, John, but I’m one of the original settlers here…I’m just not a very frequent poster.

3 Likes

I visited the PNW many years ago for work and had a week of stellar weather. I fell in love with it, but my best friend had just moved back east from rural OR because she just couldn’t deal with the grey and rain,.so I’d seen what it could do for one’s outlook.

I told my ex that if I didnt know that I was so lucky, If have told him to sell our brand new house because I wasnt coming back.

It’s been suggested to me that my family tree is an orchid. I love the heat and humidity (not quite as much during the dog days like we have right now…) but I abhor being cold.

2 Likes

(blush)

Yes, the gray showers, drizzle and mizzles, can drive me crazy. Nearly every winter we go to Hawaii, Southern Cal or Arizona for at least two weeks. I tend to travel more often, visiting friends in warmer places. We don’t get extreme cold here, hardly ever. It’s usually in the 40’s Nov-Jan, warming up to the 50’s for the late winter months typically. We do have the occasional snow storm, or a big rollicking storm rolling in off the Pacific, bringing high winds with it. I plan to be gone this winter part time, anyway @Sunshine842. Florida in the winter or spring is quite wonderful IMO - I’ll take it!

3 Likes

I agree! Even after all these years it’s where I choose to be

That’s great @Sunshine842, to be in a place that makes you happy! I especially love the screened in lanais in Florida too, to prevent bug bites. Other places all over the south seem to have them too.

1 Like

Oh yes…the mosquitoes here can pick you up and take off with you!

The hidden bonus is that a screened lanai makes the perfect environment for dozens of orchids.

3 Likes

Ooh now I’m totally jealous! Love orchids; meant to say in earlier post after your comment that your family tree was an orchid, that’s what we call DD1 - an orchid. She took a down comforter to Hawaii when she went there for college, and used it. This was on the 10th floor of an un air conditioned dorm. It can get quite cool there at times, but she used it through the hotter parts as well.

2 Likes

Wow!!

1 Like