Let's Flap Our Wings [NJ]

I had some claudies the other night and it was top notch fresh out of the fryer. My parents live very close. So by the time the cook took them out of the fryer and I got to their house, they were so hot you couldn’t even hold them. My dad and I got 6 breasts so we had two left over after demolishing 2 each. I wanted to have third but I used a good amount of will power.

Moral of the story, try claudies. The buffalo wings are ok but fried breasts are my favorite there.

2 Likes

I don’t make wings very often, but for occasions like yesterday I certainly do. I bought the “value” sized bags of Purdue wings and boy was I disappointed with the size / meatiness of the wings. When making wings at home, who or where do we find the best /meatiest wings?

1 Like

I buy the whole wings in the value pack from Wegman’s. They are my favorite size.

Wegman’s brand?

Yes, in the big pack that’s usually in the corner of the meat case.

2 Likes

Tried the Local Smoke (Neptune) wings and like CJ said salty as hell. Lots of seasoning on these. I order them dry and they come with 2 sauces. Asked to put their favorites. One had a molasses taste and the spicy seemed to have Frank’s added. Might order without the seasoning next time.

7 Likes

StoneFire Grille in Beachwood has excellent wings.

I can now add Kimchi Mama in Asbury Park to this list…

3 Likes

I was just about to post the same thing.

6 Likes

I know that since they opened, Kimchi Mama has gotten a lot of love especially for their wings. I’ve not tried them, but I do love the ones at Mogo. I didn’t want to do any kind of comparison and basically forgot about it. Until I read one of those clickbait articles about the best fried chicken in every state.

2 Likes

I’m the opposite. I’ve never had Mogo’s wings - or maybe I have but don’t remember - but I’ve never been to Kimchi Mama and NOT ordered the wings. Maybe @CurlzNJ can provide a comparison.

3 Likes

I honestly love them both!! MOGO’s were my go-to and now KM is my other equally delicious option in town, but I also don’t eat fried wings on a regular basis. Go to both place (these are NOT for takeout, imo) and see what you think!

2 Likes

I seem to be further south than most of you guys but I highly recommend the wings at StoneFire Grille in Beachwood. There are like 10 different varieties. My favorites are the Buffalo and the Jerk wings.

2 Likes

It’s beginning to sound like we need to do an AP wing crawl. Or maybe we take a ride to Beachwood at @NJChicaa’s suggestion and have one of each at the Stonefire Grille. I bet we could find some places to stop on the way down.

2 Likes

I briefly scanned through the thread, and I don’t see where I mentioned my NEW favorite wings. While Houlihan’s was my favorite wings, they are hard to find these days, funny how a place like that fades out of favor with the public. I always thought they were the best for “family-friendly” restaurants.

Anywho…my new favorite wings are at Old Glory in Keyport. They are brick oven baked, on a metal plate topped with a ton of grated parmigiana cheese which completely encases the wings on the plate. They drizzle a little balsamic reduction, along with fresh rosemary and a slight hint of lemon. An amazing combination and the crispy cheese is like picking the cheese off the side of a French Onion soup. The wings are meaty and that combination of flavors is such a compliment to the chicken I can say these are the best wings (personally) that I’ve had.

(not a very good pic that I pulled up on the internet. Bottom right are the wings I’m speaking of)

12 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, we haven’t been there in a while and those wings are great

1 Like

I have tried Mogo and Kimchi Mama’s wings; both were good but I think I still prefer Mogo’s.

Speaking of Old Glory in Keyport, I did like their wing as well.

Not wings related but have to mention the best thing from that meal was the Bread Bowl Crab Dip. The Crab Dip have much more crab meat than I expected and that bread bowl was so so good…

7 Likes

Those wings with onions and hot peppers look great!

That looks awesome. I need to get back there. I keep ending up at the fishery but old glory is so good too

Nice, I’ve never tried those wings, regardless as you can see, they use a nice size/meaty wings. Old Glory certainly isn’t gourmet by any means, but they do what they do very well.

1 Like