Let me introduce you to the Ignore/Mute Feature

Well then obviously you are the problem! (Joke)

1 Like

Have you thought of moving this to a more prominent place as other users have suggested, Jr.?

You are welcome and while I appreciate your idea, I’m not sure pinning this would be very welcoming for newbies!

“Welcome to Hungry Onion!! Now sit down and shut the f’ up!”
Lol

For “us” old timer (and some of the newbies) I don’t mind using TGIF tone, but it’s certainly not welcoming.

Thank you

1 Like

You have a point there.

1 Like

I understand your point, and yet this seems like more of a site guidelines PSA.

So maybe rephrased as a site guidelines PSA than “here’s how you ignore people.”

Several replies here and on some threads (that likely prompted this post) are “well I’m on XX other sites and this is acceptable / it’s so much worse there” or “here’s how XX other sites I participate in do this so that’s how we should do it here” or “why is this being moderated? who decided moderation was ok?” and so on.

And yet, this site has been around for a while, so it’s really not about changing this community to how people behave elsewhere, and more about choosing whether you want to be here the way it was/is.

So maybe that’s what we need, pinned right under the “Welcome and introduce yourself” thread — “Here’s how it works here — and some useful tools, before you tell us how you’d like to change things.” But maybe a bit nicer.

6 Likes

I thought I had seen this before… @hungryonion and mods - maybe the thread below could be be pinned under the intro thread (perhaps with a PSA about the ignore button).

Good reminders about transitions, take it easy, settling in, and being generally nice.

4 Likes

Agree with you :100: %

3 Likes

I must voice my opinion as a longtime Onion. I’ve lurked on a few threads such as “What’s on your mind” and came away wondering “will unwieldy threads like this one day overwhelm the HO server(s)?” I’m not savvy about how Discourse operates, but if non food-related threads like that pose any threat/tax the mods and servers in any way, I really don’t see the need to support them.

In other words, “get a room.”

I vote for keeping the focus on the food. On some other threads, there has been so much uncivil back-and-forth, I find it impossible to scroll through without saying “eff it.” I won’t even visit the thread.

I recently did the unheard of (to me)…I muted voices, which is akin to censoring. Something I thought I would never do, whether I agree or disagree. The Boston board has had its share of controversy but I resisted muting. But the white noise has risen to decibels which I can’t ignore - this used to be a place of refuge for me. But I read some posts and come away wondering, “what the hell is this person talking about?” I am absolutely guilty of posting in a conversational / meandering style but I like to think I keep it food-focused. This is why I enjoy WFD, weekly menu planning, and the small and mighty Boston board. I like dialogue, but not at the expense of the greater good. But the idea of censoring voices is anathema to me. And nevertheless, I’m doing it.

8 Likes

Testing…testing…bummp… bummp…is this thing on?

1 Like

@hungryonion I should’ve tagged you in my original post. I made a statement wondering about the health of the HO server without any prior knowledge. Can the server absorb all the new/recent on-going non food-related (or otherwise) discussions? And the mods…are they being needlessly taxed, or are things manageable?

I thought about a private message, but in the spirit of open dialogue, I’ll pose my questions here.

@NotJrvedivici thank you for the original post. It’s an important one.

7 Likes

I think server space is not much affected by a conversation like this one or others in the “not about food” category, compared to all the food photos we routinely upload in the baking and dinner threads - those take up a lot of space.

The mods potentially getting run ragged by side convos that sometimes turn acrimonious might be more of an issue?

3 Likes

I’ve always uploaded to a host and posted a link here. After joining I assumed Hungry Onion only permitted a member to upload a small amount. I can’t imagine why they would permit more unless they charged a membership…which I would pay.

1 Like

Is it possible to block or mute a poster who has a hidden profile?

As the author of the thread, I wanted to acknowledge your question but unfortunately, I do now know the answer. @sck or someone else be able to answer this please.

1 Like

What is a hidden profile?

2 Likes

From your own profile, under Preferences->Users.

1 Like

What is the advantage of having a hidden profile on an anonymous site?

1 Like

users are blocked/muted by name.
whether they’ve made their profile private is not relevant.
HO makes blocking/muting a user rather obscure, and to finish the action, you have to enter the user name. so - write it down, find the block option, enter the name.

1 Like

This may seem like a silly Q but here goes. First off, I don’t have anyone on my ignore list. But if someone has me on their ignore list and I start a thread, does my thread not show up at all to this person? Or maybe the subsequent replies show up and this person has to put two and two together? Which wouldn’t make much sense. Just wondering.

3 Likes

It shows up as “Ignored Content” on both sides IME

3 Likes