Lentils!!!

Indeed they are. I mainly use them for daal. I also use them to thicken a sauce if making a curry.

2 Likes

Yes they are. And being split cook quickly and will thicken a soup nicely

Thanks for the recipe. I have everything apart from the farro. I 'm assuming freekeh would work instead?

Sure, freekeh would work. Or barley. Or leave the farro/freekeh/barley out

6 Likes

Right up my lentil loving :heart:

2 Likes

I’m a fan as well. Black, brown , red…they are all good

2 Likes

You can mash some cooked lentils and add them to ground beef for burgers and/or meatloaf. Although you are subbing some fiber and vegetable protein for meat, the beefy flavor remains strong.

5 Likes

Something I’ve enjoyed recently is using pre-cooked split red lentils to thicken (and add flavor + nutrients to) japanese style curries and noodle soups – great way to get a rich mouth feel without having to use high-gelatin liquids (which I love but am not always in the mood for).

4 Likes
2 Likes

Are there any Japanese lentil recipes? I will Google . I’ve been getting tired of European, Indian, Ethiopian and Middle-eastern lentil and legume recipes.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Is this a real thing or a Chinese ingredient applied elsewhere? Can’t recall ever seeing stewed lentils in any Chinese food I’ve encountered (but that may just be not having encountered it yet)…

(Same qs for Japanese re the miso recipe link).

1 Like

I found some links suggested lentils are very expensive in Japan.

I have no idea. I’m a white half Greek /half German ethnically-2nd generation North American who is getting tired of European and Indian lentils, while trying to eat legumes daily .

I did find a lot of Japanese curry -from a brick recipes calling for lentils as an option for a vegan Japanese curry. The Japanese curry bricks have been around a long time.
Japan has a huge population, so I’d think some people have incorporated lentils into their regular diet, and into Japanese home cooking.

This looks like a recipe from Japan. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa3tKpTdqsM

1 Like

https://www.mastercook.com/app/recipe/WebRecipeDetails?recipeId=8477428

@CurlzNJ @gracieggg

5 Likes

THANK YOU! @MsBean Thanks for the post about this on IG. I know what my next lentil soup will be!!!

2 Likes

Count me in! On the stove now. Smells so good.

7 Likes