Lemon Pepper gets the limelight

More and more, I am reading about uses for lemon pepper. Its been around for ages, celebrated by food warriors creating delicious fried chicken both wet and dry. I enjoyed lemon pepper wings the last time I was in Queens, NY.

I have a large container of lemon pepper mix from Costco on hand. Beyond wings/fried chicken, how do you use this flavorful mix in your kitchen?

Thanks, Rooster.

I use TJ’s lemon-pepper grinder a lot – e.g. for marinades & salad dressings.

Lemon is one of my favorite flavors.

2 Likes

Mine too. Good ideas, thanks.

I’m going to make baked Youkin gold steak fries later and was thinking of adding the lemon pepper to the garlic and olive oil mix.

Ever hse the stuff in eggs, like scrambled?

Not in eggs, no. But I added it to my Greek BISO chickie breasts that will be grilled later this eve :slight_smile:

1 Like

I always use it on fish and on oven roasted asparagus and zucchini

1 Like

sigh Lemon pepper is black pepper, lemon zest, and salt. 1. Who really needs more salt sneaking into our food? 2. Why not just use good ground black pepper and lemon zest to taste? You can use fresh or dried lemon zest. I don’t care how much salt you use, but you should use it on purpose.

Point taken. I’m not inclined to throw out the pkg but I will try my hand at homemade sooner than later. I dont have issues with salt or pepper and lemon makes everything taste better.

1 Like

BISO? :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was my understanding this refers to bone in, skin on. If I’m mistaken, thanks for asking for clarification.

2 Likes

You are correct.

1 Like

I think everyone who uses the product is aware of its ingredients, and the possibility of ‘making your own.’

If I use a spice mix/grinder that contains salt, I can obviously cut down on any extra salt. It’s pure convenience. I also don’t tend to have dry lemon zest on hand, generally.

2 Likes

I’m lost with internet jargon.
Thanks. And you too Mr. R… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m certain i like lemon pepper because it has salt! And obvs anyone worried about sodium can just choose a salt free version or try and reinvent the wheel making it from scratch

1 Like

I buy the lemon pepper from Penzey’s once in a while and then the grinder from Trader Joe’s when i run out. I like it on just cucumber slices, or whatever raw veggies that need a little something but I don’t have or want dip. I feel like it’s most commonly used for seafood. Oh, and it’s a nice addition to bean based salads, lentil salads and such.

1 Like

Yeah I think its destined for salmon tomorrow with braised celery and a lemon curd dessert. What a week!

1 Like

I like it on slices of ripe tomato and anything that I put cream cheese on. Trader Joe’s grinder contains dried minced onion which I really enjoy. Be sure to not use it over a steaming dish/pot/pan. It already soaks up moisture as is from the salt crystals and has a tendency to clump and clog the grinder.

4 Likes

Good to know. I bever noticed the TJs version but those small styled grinders are convenient. I wish they were also reusable.

The Trader Joes grinders are reusable- I reuse them for blends I make from things in my garden and dehydrate.

1 Like

:+1: Appreciate the clarification. I didnt know that. Much more appealing. Great idea about garden useables.

1 Like

Around here lemon pepper is a staple in bagels with lox/cream cheese spread. We tend not to use it on regular lox as it does tend to hide the flavor of good nova.

2 Likes