Leftover rice

Leftover rice + diced beets + Italian dressing = heavenly pink salad

1 Like

Good luck. I’d be interested in hearing how it worked.

1 Like

I usually rice nuke with chopped kimchee. I like the different textures.

I’ve never heard of rice toxins but don’t doubt they exist. Not something I’m going to worry about though.

4 Likes

Ugh. Left over rice info is so frustrating.

From Medical News Today-There is a common belief that you should never reheat rice. However, this is not true. It is possible to reheat rice, but people must take precautions to ensure it is safe to eat.

“Rice nuke”???

I need to learn to proofread better

1 Like

This might be news to an entire continent. As a card-carrying Korean, this thread is the first place I’ve ever read about this issue. Please know that I’m not discounting it - I have just never heard about this and I’m reacting off-the-cuff here. There’s a high incidence of gastric cancers amongst Koreans. That could be due to smoked foods (as has been seen in the Japanese) or maybe consumption of lots of fermented foods in Koreans? Or maybe spore-laden rice is a contributing factor? As a kid and adult, cooked rice was routinely left in the rice cooker and eaten over the course of the week. Mom rarely refrigerated rice. I do, but I have also been known to leave rice out for several days, particularly during the colder months.

Anyway, I shouldn’t be thinking aloud like this without substantiation, but thanks for the food for thought.

4 Likes

I read warnings from time to time on sites like “ours” ( :grin:), and I try to check out the sources each time. I was surprised that this source called it "a common belief ". No one I know seems to know about it. Interesting to think about in the current context of science believers and non-believers.

3 Likes

rice is an excellent growth media for bacteria.
if one assumes the rice has been “cooked to sterile” then only externally introduced bacteria could pose a problem…

it’s the same with the USDA/FDA recommendations on cooking temps, etc.
they take the position that in order to be “safe” all foods should be reduced to ash…

5 Likes

PAELLA VALENCIANA RECIPE FROM QUIQUE DACOSTA, LEFT OVERS WERE STORED AND RE HEATED, WITH CALDO DE POLLO TO MOISTEN THE RICE … I DO NOT USE MICRO WAVE OVENS.

6 Likes

I don’t own a microwave either.

1 Like

This reminds me of potato salad and people blaming food poisoning on the mayo. Which is actually a very stable product. The problem was the potato’s and I’ve heard where rice might be a problem too. I don’t remember the scientific specifics why though.

I WOULD NEVER freeze a paella.

I stored it in a tupperware and re heated the next day stove top as I had made 2 paellas the day before.

I do not freeze many things …

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Freezer or not, methods of storing extra

Posts on freezers or not are moved to a new topic.

I thought it was obvious that I hit the wrong reply arrow but I guess not. Sorry about that. I was addressing the issue of food poisoning with rice/starch. Not sure how this went from no microwave to freezer use.

1 Like

Sticky rice, tried both methods: kept in fridge and in freezer.

Fridge: next day was alright, but past that period, the rice hardened, need more liquid to heat up. The result wasn’t ideal.

Freezer: plain sticky rice was quite delicate, defroze with microwave, but difficult to find the right setting, and the rice hardened easily. Not the whole rice was hard, a part of it, similar to the effect of semi cooked rice. I put rice back in pot to heat up with liquid, took some time.

Conclusion, doesn’t worth the trouble to freeze it, as to steam the glutinous rice needs only 20 minutes (plus soaking time), and reheating never comes close to the freshly cooked ones.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I will have to remember to make sure we eat all our mango sticky rice in one sitting - unfortunately I doubt it will be a problem no matter how much I cook.

2 Likes

I’ve read all about the issues with leftover rice but can’t say I’ve ever had an issue eating left over rice, even several days old in my 60+ years.

4 Likes

Same thoughts after all . Cook . Use . Put back in the fridge. Repeat
After 3 days I’m like I’m good.

For anyone worried about reheating leftover rice, never ever, and I mean, never, eat fried rice at 99% of the Chinese fast food restaurants.

I believe you . I always hated refried rice. But there is something nice about it .